Need help with transom repair...

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When installing the hardware...especially the bolts...what sealant is best?

Also should I pre-drill wood before sealing the wood or right when I install? Just worried if I pre-drill I will have a hard time lining up all of the holes...and if I use a sealant/adhesive on hardware will it matter much?

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watched some videos on spar urethane and two videos had horrible results both chipped and were basically gone within 8 to 12 months. Both were also varathane spar....which is what I bought😳. So I went and bought Helmsman instead. Hope that is a better choice.

Also how often down the road should reapply the spar? Every several years?

Is it possible to paint after spar? Like an oil or latex paint?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The new wood will last about 10 years if painted.----Why worry about this.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Spar urethane will last 5 years plus, if you mess it up. Some more lasts 10 years.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What sealant should be used for the hardware? 3m 5200?

Also I have a piece of aluminum I was thinking of using to attach where the motor mount clamps go...what is a good adhesive for this....was also going to screw it in as well.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 coats down....hopefully finish the last 2 coats on Tuesday...then install.

Attachments

• 20220227_163322.jpg
    20220227_163322.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would the 4200 be good for the aluminum plate on the transom as well as the hardware?

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I do...I hopefully will be able to install this weekend.

Will post pictures when I am done.
I know.. sometimes a task seems huge, and so we go a different route. But in the end It's usually better to just dig in and do it.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should have definitely pre-drilled the holes....one way or another though some of the holes didn't line up great...so some of the holes are not very good....will just have to fill them up with 3m 4200 when installing the hardware. A bit worried they will be a point of rot.

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should have definitely pre-drilled the holes....one way or another though some of the holes didn't line up great...so some of the holes are not very good....will just have to fill them up with 3m 4200 when installing the hardware. A bit worried they will be a point of rot.
I've read to drill them slightly bigger and then fill them with something sturdy but waterproof, then re-drill in the center of the sturdy waterproof product the actual size needed.
My thoughts are to just keep the water out of the hole. Outside the boat motor at the bolt. Between the boat motor and the transom surface.
I'm going to run a circle bead around the mounting holes on the outside transom skin. Then if you completely seal over and around the bolt head and any washers, water can't get behind the bolt itself, or between the boat motor mounting surface and the outside transom skin.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Luckily the few that are not good are on the inside of the boat and not the outside.

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Speaking of lasting for years just being plywood without much prep. My transom skin has several drilled holes in it. Every drilled hole in the transom skin is also in the plywood transom. That makes me believe my plywood transom is original. There's lots of other evidence too.
My point? The plywood transom is in a 1967 boat. 55 years?

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone...I will hopefully finish up tomorrow and post some pictures.

I also have an aluminum plate that will also cover those mistakes up on the inside...added that to add some strength to where the motor mounts sit.

I think this one was also original and I believe is 1987.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally finished today...install was a bit more than I expected. Hopefully I sealed everything good enough. But I am glad it is done.

Hopefully living here in dry phoenix will help...and it will be garaged most of the time too.

Attachments

• 20220306_152541.jpg
    20220306_152541.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220306_152526.jpg
    20220306_152526.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14

Berdink

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks really good.
I'm seeing lots of posts in these forums that it should last a long time.
I had forgotten about my utility trailer that I used 3/4 inch plywood on. I always meant to paint it, but never did. I has sat outside in the rain of the Pacific Northwest for over 20 years - no finish - bare wood, and it's just now starting to rot.