Need Help with Remote control box

JakesBoats

Recruit
I have been working on my 1988 Bluefin Sportsman with a 1988 85 HP Force outboard this year and I am trying to get it back to tip top shape just recently put a new starter in it turns over great now. Now my new issue is when ever I go to put it in gear "Forward or Reverse" it stalls the motor out. I am not great with mechanical work and I was thinking about replacing the throttle cable box and the linkages all together to get it a bit up to date. I just do not know what throttle boxes will work for it or if I can use any kind. I am unable to find a replacement Throttle box for what's on it now and I do not know anything about it. The only thing I can see from the box I have now is it says Pull out Neutral and that's for full neutral. I was told that the linkages may need to be lubed up because they said its stiff when u engage it but I don't see how that would kill the motor.

djslice

Recruit
I'm in the same boat. Need to replace the control box but don't know of a good replacement.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Jake, your issue could be the remote control, or it could be engine tuning.

This should be posted in the Force motor forum.

djslice, Force motors were quite numerous. A replacement remote control should not be hard to identify. Look on the crowleymarine site under Force accessories for a replacement control. Now use the part number and see what is avail on the web. Force motors used Merc gearcases, so I expect a Mercury control might be the right one, but not sure.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Shift it manually without the control box, does it still stall ?? If so then you have a motor issue, if it doesnt stall then you have a control box issue..