Need help with New EST Delco Distributor and coil wiring

donnieowe

Recruit
Have a 1986 MerCruiser with the 3.0 L was having many problems with the Distributor so I decided it was time to upgrade it the pointless Distributor, so I went with EST Delco Distributor and coil. Bought the whole conversion kit. Problem is I'm having troubles wiring it. The instructions that came with it I don't even see why they wasted the paper they were the worst instructions I'd ever seen. So, I got upset threw them away and walked away from the boat for a couple weeks to claim down. I thought I could find something on the internet, but I was wrong I cannot find anything really about it or a good diagram that is simple enough to get it done the right way. I have read a lot and learned that the coil needs 12v and no less so the purple wire cannot be hooked to the coil, if I'm even reading that right. I am now desperate to get it done because I live up north and the temps are dropping at night. Anybody out there that can guide me through getting this wired up or a simplified wiring diagram would really be a big help. Wiring is not my strong point. Thank you for anything you can offer.

alldodge

Staff member
Being a 1986 you had points
Points needs a full 12V feed for starting and a 9V or so feed once running

EST needs 12V full time, starting and running

The purple wire going to the + side of your coil has to go and do not use

Go to the carb and find the wire feeding the choke. This wire has a full 12V full time. Connect from this wire and go back to the + side of the coil.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Or remove the resistor wire and replace with a section of 16 gauge (purple colored insulation)

donnieowe

Recruit
Being a 1986 you had points
Points needs a full 12V feed for starting and a 9V or so feed once running

EST needs 12V full time, starting and running

The purple wire going to the + side of your coil has to go and do not use

Go to the carb and find the wire feeding the choke. This wire has a full 12V full time. Connect from this wire and go back to the + side of the coil.
Thank you I hope my problem will be solved this has become a big headache for me

Scott06

Vice Admiral

alldodge

Staff member
Oh, with points the shift interruptor grounds the coil during shifting. The EST needs 12V applied when shifting. So disconnect the ground side of the switch and connect 12V from the purple wire