Need help with ignition problem 1998 SeaDoo GTI 717

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got through rebuilding this motor from crankshaft up. I started it up today (with flush kit) and no problems, ran smoothly, responsive, etc. After about 10 minutes of just idleing and giving her tiny boosts of throttle, I shut it down using the start/stop switch. I then attempted to restart it. It did nothing at all :( no "click" sound, no movement, or any sound at all. The lanyard still gives me the two short beeps as if everything is OK. I checked the battery - still at 12.6V. I visually checked the fuses and all are good. I also visually checked the coil and connections, the MPEM, wiring harnesses, and all looked to be fine.

The only thing I thought was suspect was that the regulator/rectifier was really warm to the touch. All the wiring is hooked up correctly so I don't know what to check or why the rectifier would be that warm :confused: Does this mean that the recifier is burnt out? If it is, how do I check it to be for sure?

Has anybody experienced this before?

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help with ignition problem 1998 SeaDoo GTI 717

Just got through tinkering some more with it and I have found that when I jiggle the short rectifier/regulator connector harness, it makes the fuel gauge flicker. I looked closely at the inside circuit board and noticed that the terminals where the four wires go into the unit have some discoloration or "browning". I'm almost convinced that the rectifier is bad.

This GTI is a project ski intended for fix up and resell. the rectifier and MPEM were two of the things that were replaced with used equipment. The MPEM has the correct part number that this model calls for, but not sure about the rectifier.

I have ran the motor with these components before I rebuilt it and did not have this problem. So I'm really confused about where to begin diagnosing since I dont want to replace anything if I dont know whats causing this issue.

Any opinions?

jetskiforlife

Recruit

I pretty much had that same problem with mine! Which is funny it drove me insane to the point that I just brought it down to jetskijunky which has a shop in Florida and they found and corrected the problem in no time. I honestly couldn't believe it lol but at least im back on the water. They also sell parts if you need any.. there having some kind of special that gives free shipping to first time customers. jetskijunky.com

jetskiforlife

Recruit

Try checking the grounds to the started it may be the rectifier or possibly the wires are bad if they are browning there could be a short in there.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks jetskiforlife. So are you saying that is what they found on yours having the same symptoms as mine - leading to a bad rectifier?

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replace the rectifier, if it hasn't already gone bad, it will. It's a common item that most of us that own older 2 stroke Sea-Doo's replace simply for the fact that they give no warning when they fail. I would not buy a replacement unit from the dealer, but a new rectifier sold by WSM Parts. Your part number will be 004-222 or something similar to that.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced the rectifier with an aftermarket - but still nothing at all. I'm starting to believe that the MPEM was trashed by the bad rectifier. The rectifier was TERRIBLY hot and so was the area of the MPEM where it mounted. I have checked everything I know and lokos like another computer for it.

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

get on pwctoday.com you should be able to find a box easy is it a gray box or the black mpem that the wire plugs right into i have that style forsell