need help with 1958 evinrude

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i got this 35hp evinrude last year in a package deal with my west bend,anyhow its been sitting since i bought it last year,decided today im not gona use it so mite aswell sell it, worked on it a bit today checked spark was nice and blue, both cylinders compression was at 110&115 hook gas tank up and wiring but would start untill i sprayed gas in the carb, seems like its not picking up gas, i pulled line off that goes from bowl to carb and cranked it over and no gas came out of line but if i pump the pump on the tank gas squits out the line? any ideas does this engine have a fuel pump? i cant locate one?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: need help with 1958 evinrude

If it has a pump on the gas tank with twin hose set-up it does not have a fuel pump, It is a pressurized fuel tank which gets pressure from the return line from the engine.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yup it has two lines, the one that wen you pump the pump gas comes out it i hooked it to the glass bowl, and the other one i hooked it to fitting that goes into reeds is that correct? also what should i check with the lines from the tank ,to make sure there working properly? thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

1958 Evinrude? Is this a Lark, or a Big Twin. The Larks mostly were standard with fuel pumps and the Big Twins were pressure type fuel tanks and didn't have any fuel pumps. The best thing to do is post a model number and a picture of the motor would be a great help too. If you have the pressure tank set up, then you want to make sure that the cap is tight on your fuel tank. Also, you want to make sure the connector on the fuel line, where it connects to the motor is not leaking air or fuel. The o-rings in that connector need to be in good order, or they will leak and cause fuel flow problems.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its a big twin. It doesnt have a connecter on motor. One line goes to glass bowl one line goes to reeds. So both lines just go on the nipples and they are very tight had hard time to put them on

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now i have other problems seems like impeller is no good no puttin out any water from pee hole.and on bottom right of head beside spark plug there is a hole in head look like its supose to be there when i start engine up there is water pouring out of that hole? Any idea's

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There should be a welch plug over that hole. Yours fell out, just get a new one.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok thanks hightirm where could i find a welch plug for this old engine??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Personally I would get it from the dealer if I were you.

You can order here, but there is a minimum order so if you just want the one plug it would not be worth it.

http://www.hubbardspring.com/

If you are are comfortable machining you could make one as well. There is an article in the Outboarder you could dig up.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok i dont think the dealer would have any welch plugs? i ordered stuff from dealer ,there parts list goes back to 1968,i have a 1966 evinrude here and it doesnt have welch plugs, that looks like the one in the link you sent me to bad there is a minimum order, do you have any idea how much the minimum order is? thanks in advance

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The dealer can get them no problem, unless he just doesnt want to

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok i will give it a shot, big problem im having now is im not sure what size or year this engine is? i just started a new post and added pictures,was told when i bought it last year its a 1958 35hp ???