Need HELP!!! what kind of rim/hub is this?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
1st off, I apologize about posting so many pictures, but I want to make sure you all see every angle possible to maximize the amount of help you guys can give me.

So this trailer came with a 1955 Nylox boat I purchased. The trailers make is ACE-HI boat trailer by ACE-HI Products I guess. cant find anything on this company or trailer online, but the trailer is not the issue. its the wheels, so far I haven't had any problems with them, but they look old and worn, so I'd like to buy new ones. I got a quote of $130.00 installed for the tire at a tire shop in my area, but they said they cant do anything about the hub/rim as far as getting a new one.

has anyone seen one like this? or know where I can get a new one?
this trailer has NO AXLE. it has its own small axle type bolts going through the middle of the wheel, and the passenger tire, it has a small valve/spout thing for grease to go in I'm assuming. on the drivers side it has a valve/spout built into the rim/hub itself along with the tires air valve.

again, I'd like to purchase new hubs/rims or whatever their called (please tell me what their called so I can sound less ignorant )

so does anyone know where I can get these? or what I should do get them cleaned up, and re grease the bearings? keep in mind I would rather buy new ones, any help is appreciated, and here are the 100 pics I took Oh and yes I did get paint on the tires but I wasn't really careful in that area because I had always planned on replacing the wheels anyway. oh and the tire size is 5.70-8

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Need HELP!!! what kind of rim/hub is this?

IMHO, i think it will be cheaper and less stressful to buy a trailer for that boat. Trying to find hubs i think is going to be impossible. I have never seen a trailer like that.Two tires and rims your already at $260.00. Another trailer shouldn't cost to much and you will or should have hubs that can be changed if needed.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

IMHO, i think it will be cheaper and less stressful to buy a trailer for that boat. Trying to find hubs i think is going to be impossible. I have never seen a trailer like that.Two tires and rims your already at $260.00. Another trailer shouldn't cost to much and you will or should have hubs that can be changed if needed.

Interesting looking set-up but I'm with Thalasso. Don't waste time or money on that trailer. Sooner or later something is going to break or wear out and parts are going to be unavailable. A new (or at least more modern, new to you) trailer is the only answer to your problem IMO.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO, I have never seen a trailer like that.

Man, thats what EVERYONE has said to me. Ive even taken it to a few trailer shops and even they say "I've never seen anything like that before"

Craaaaaaaaaap.. Anyone else have any better news or suggestions. Or has anyone else ever seen this kind of hub? And might know where to get one? Ive also thought of welding an axle to it.. What do yall think of that?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you remove the wheel assembly from the trailer you can unmount and mount new tires by hand in about an hour. As for the bearings just take it all apart and see what you have.

UncleWillie

Captain

Well if you really want to stick with it; they really do not look that bad at all.
They mostly look like they have 10 coats of paint and dirt on them.

As long as you have to pull them off to replace the rubber;
Take the bare Wheels and the other metal parts of the axel, spacers, nuts and washers to a sand blast shop.
For under $50 they will strip everything down to clean bare metal that you can prime and re-paint pretty as new!
The bearings and seals are more than likely Standard Commercial Dimensions.
The axles were made with a Zerk Fittings on the ends so if someone pumped some grease in there every 10 years or so, they may be amazingly well preserved.

I see a lot of dirt and old paint, but nothing disastrous.
What is the number in the oval area on the tire right after the DOT X2A4 (????)
The date on these tire may be entertaining!

The 5.70-8 Rubber tires are still available for about $40 each.
Do the trailer work yourself and save $200.

Don't give up the Ship!
If it's still rolling after 68 years, they must have done something right!:D

How about an overall shot of the whole trailer. And the Boat! :happy:
Posting your pictures here instead of photo-bucket is a lot less messy.
The little square next to the earth with the Red X at the top of the reply window starts the process.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

If you really want to keep that trailer, you also could remove the tires and wheels and the unusual suspension stuff and install a new axle and leaf spring system and keep the other parts of the trailer. New tires are a must either way you go and so just some new wheels are all you'd have to get...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That is an extremely light duty trailer and would not be suitable for anything but the small tin boats.

The wheels are 8 inch and as said above you can buy tires to fit, they are common. However, 8 inch tires are miserable to mount on the wheels by hand. You would be much better off letting a garage do it.

The bearings and hubs look like industrial type. They do not appear to have seals so that trailer would not be suitable to dunk in the water anywhere near the hub level.

It is interesting in that is has independent suspension and probably worth saving as a conversation piece.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Look like wheelbarrow wheels on there. I have to agree. Strip out the paint and repaint. Find bearings and assuming there was grease in there, the axles are most likely fine.

UncleWillie

Captain

The wheels are 8 inch and as said above you can buy tires to fit, they are common. However, 8 inch tires are miserable to mount on the wheels by hand. You would be much better off letting a garage do it.

I agree!

When I suggested doing the trailer work yourself...
I meant pulling the axles and removing the rubber tires by any means available.
Have the wheels stripped. Prime and paint them at home.
Reinstall Bearings and lube as needed yourself.
Have a shop mount and balance them.
Reassemble the wheels and axle to the trailer at home.
Go boating!

Bicycle tires are bad enough.
I changed a few Auto tires using 4 Big Screwdrivers and a jack when I was broke as a kid! Never again!

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

What pressure are those rims designed for? Do the tires have anything on them giving maximum inflation pressure? Years ago I replaced the 8" tires and rims on my dad's boat trailer with 12" wheels and tires off of a 1947 Crosley automobile (anyone here old enough to remember the Crosley besides me?). Dad's boat was a 14' Lonestar tinny with a 25 horse Johnson - a pretty light load. We ran something like 30 or 35 pounds of air in them and even with frequent trips to the lake every summer the tires accumulated very little annual mileage. Those tires lasted for years but when we went to replace one of them with a regular trailer tire the guy at the tire shop pointed out that the new tires would need to carry a lot more air and questioned whether the rims were designed for that much pressure. We decided that perhaps it would be better to play it safe and replaced rims as well as tires.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tires on those rims have to be changed with tire irons by hand. There are no lug holes to lock the rim to stop the spinning and the axle hole is too small for a tire machine. That's the reason the PO got a 130 buck quote.

I would remove the axle and see what's there. Until then, we're all speculating. It's not impossible to change the tires, at least one has been changed. One rim has a 90 degree valve stem and the other is straight. Also the 90 degree stem looks like a tube and the straight one looks like it's tubeless. And at least one of the inner grease seals are bad and leaking.

(anyone here old enough to remember the Crosley besides me?)

Yes

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Look like wheelbarrow wheels on there. I have to agree. Strip out the paint and repaint. Find bearings and assuming there was grease in there, the axles are most likely fine.

I agree... no joke... look at a wheel barrel wheel.... you might be surprised.
Everhard Tire Carefree Tire EH1-KNOBBY 4.80/4.00-8 (16") Heavy Duty Flat-Proof"Everhard" Wheelbarrow Tire & Wheel Assembly - Diamond (Knobby) - Lawn & Garden - Outdoor Tools & Supplies - Wheelbarrows & Garden Carts
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5waWNzdWl0Y2FzZS5jb20vQUltYWdlcy9QTEcvOWE4MmJmN2YtZmE5MS00Y2JkLWJiZGEtMTQwZTZiYjRhYzljLmpwZw==

UncleWillie

Captain

What pressure are those rims designed for?
Do the tires have anything on them giving maximum inflation pressure? ...

5.70-8 Load Range...

B= 715# @ 50psi
C= 910# @ 75psi
D= 1075# @ 100psi (Ouch!)

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

says max load 715 pounds @ 50 psi

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about high speed Fixed Hub Integral Tire & Rim trailer wheels. Bearing, seal and dust cap included. MB won't need the dust cap and will need one more seal.

[URL=http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/sv29n/media/Cheap%20boats/trailertire.jpg.html] [/URL]

Fixed Hub Integral Tire & Rim

Your link appears broken, but it gets a guy in the right direction. Something like this should work for the OP. 8 inch Fixed Hub Integral Tire & Rim at Trailer Parts Superstore