Need Help Please !!

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I am not sure if this is an engine or prop problem. I have posted this problem in the prop section but have not had a response. Hope you can point me in the right dierection. I have a 1972 Cruisers, Inc. 21 foot Bonanza. It has a mercruiser 888 (188 hp Ford 302) with about 1100 hrs. Total weight of boat with fuel, people, gear is around 3900 +/- lbs. Last weel I was out with the family and struck a submerged object. I was at idle when it happened but it dinged up the prop around edges. It also caused the motor to stall. The prop is a michigan wheel 15 1/2 X 19p 3 blade alum. The motor started right up and I made it back to the marina where I keep the boat. I did not experience any problems or vibrations but I also keep the rpms real low. The next day I took the prop off and had the marina send it out to be fixed. Prior to this mishap I was able to reach 4150 rpms and go about 41 to 42 mph (gps). Mercruiser range for this motor is 3800 to 4200 rpms. While my prop was being fixed the marina let me demo a Michigan wheel vortex 4 blade prop 14 1/2 x 18p (something I was thinking about doing for a better hole shot and better plane rpms). I put it on and tried it out but the performance was less then impressive ( had flo-torq hub kit).The boat would hit 4100 rpms (eventually) but would only go 34 mph. It also took forever to plane. Between 2200 to 3000 rpms it felt like something was slipping, almost like cavitation. It was like a muscle car smoking its tires before getting traction. Yesturday I got my 3 blade prop back and its doing the same thing as the 4 bladed prop. It came back looking brand new and they said they checked the hub and it was fine. I also now have a vibration at 2100 to 2500 rpms which goes away as the rpms increase. I don't know if I have a motor issue (coupler), prop issue ? or a stern drive issue ( u-joint). Any recommendations, suggestions, thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciate. Thanks fellows!!

HD Fatboy?

Seaman
Re: Need Help Please !!

I really do not think its a prop issue simply becase 2 props doing the same thing.
I am leaning towards motur coupler issue, when in neutral your prop would not be turniing ,correct?

but I wonder if the impact to the drive unit sent anything up to the coupler?