Need Help on Suzuki DF140 trim tilt

feet wet

Cadet
I have a 2002 DF140 and the center (tilt) cylinder bleeds right down after trimming it up. It stops once it comes in contact with the two smaller (trim) tubes.
1. Is this difficult to rebuild at home?
Outside of getting the cylinder cap wrench, this appears fairly simple to pull the pistons and replace O-rings. It almost looks like I could leave the unit on the boat.

2. Do you have any idea if this is likely an O-ring problem in the pistons or perhaps a check valve issue up inside the motor.

Thanks
Larry

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Need Help on Suzuki DF140 trim tilt

Check valve would be my guess as an oring would leak oil out.
Have you checked to make sure the manual release is seated properly?

Sorry, I have not tried to redo one myself, so I cannot say one way or the other on being easy or not

feet wet

Cadet

Thanks for the reply yams. I loosened the manual release cycled engine down and trimmed back up several times but same thing.

Also. loosening the manual release allows the eng to bleed all they way down where are current problem only bleeds motor down on the big tilt piston in the center. It stops once in contact with the two smaller trim pistons. So I think its in the center piston or perhaps a check valve deeper in the motor.

feet wet

Cadet

Update- I fixed the problem. I noticed that the left trim piston cap (cover that the piston slides through) appeared to be backing out and was not flush against the cylinder housing like the other trim tube and the tilt tube covers. Although the funky tool to tighten the cover costs upwards of 100$, I was able to 1. trim the motor up and put the latch down 2. open the manual release valve 3. screw the cap back down into place by hand and assisting the turn with a screwdriver in one of the holes. note: it was necessary to open the manual release valve because there is fluid on both sides of the piston below and without opening the release valve to allow that fluid to move, i could not screw the cap back in by hand.

Fished today and trim worked fine and did not bleed down. Now if I could only get my steering pivot pin lubricated to swivel freely, I would be in business.