Need help in stringer design (All fiberglass and NO wood)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Need help in stringer design (All fiberglass and NO wood)

I think using sheet foam cut to fit and bonded into place, then glassed in, will be the easiest solution to your problem, providing it is the type that does not melt when the resin is applied. If you completely sheath the foam with multiple layers of glass, which you will need to do anyway for strength, no water should get in.

Another way is to take the pvc pipe or aluminum strips or whatever, and set them in place like Bondo said, at the desired level where the floor will be. You could wet out and lay your glass in sections, draped over the pipe (or whatever) and down to the hull. If you stay with it while it is kicking out, you should be able to make sure that first layer is reasonably straight. After than, you just lay up multiple layers until you have the desired thickness. Still think the foam/glass idea is easiest and best.

As far as the foam for floatation, there is no foam that is 100% waterproof. The current 2 part foam is pretty good, but just cover the darn boat when not in use and keep the water out and you will be okay. I say it a million times here, but waterlogged boats are waterlogged because of lack of care, and those boats are usually 20-30 years old. Thats a lot of time being left out in the rain or snow uncovered. If you are not concerned with if the boat might sink, then skip the foam. If you want to have the safety of floatation, there is no substitute for the foam that will displace enough water to keep the boat at the surface.

The soda bottle thing has been debated any times here. My resistance to it lies with the fact that there is air spaces bteween the bottles, making it very likely that there will not be enough water displaced, and that a hull full of plastic soda bottles creates a static electricity spark potential that I would not want to explore. Just remember, gasoline vapor sinks to the lowest point in the boat. Do you want you and your family to die in a boat fire of be left out in the middle of a body of water because of a desire to not use foam? Yeah, it's dramatic, but my life and my families' lives are more important than a boat. Just remember, it is more easy for the search party to fine a swampedboat than individual people in lifejackets bobbing about.

I would just foam it, skip the crazy stuff, and just take care of it. It'll last longer than you think...

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

JasonJ,

well put! I like your "to the point" address. Honest and most of makes sense! Thanks very much for the input. I think that it is a great idea.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Saskatoon2005 said:
JasonJ,

well put! I like your "to the point" address. Honest and most of makes sense! Thanks very much for the input. I think that it is a great idea.

No problem. I get kinda dramatic with the foam thing because I don't swim well. Just a paranoid thing... :)

Saskatoon2005

Yeah, I am coming to the conclusion that I will just use foam in a can like most people do and spray it full of foam....YeeeeHaaaaaa

Bondo

Staff member

You mean This Stuff,..??..??..??..??..??..??..??
100_3632.jpg

I used most of that can on the house,+ left it sitting on that concrete ledge,.........
Swear to God,........
That's what it Looked Like, when I turn the Light on, a Month later.......d:)

Btw,......
Even has much as I dislike the pour-in-place Foams to begin with,......
It would be a Cold Day in 'ell, before I used Any of that canned $h!t in any boat of Mine..........

Saskatoon2005

Okay, so maybe I would try and use that sheeted foam you buy to insulate your house with (mostly used on concrete basement walls). The pink stuff...