Need help finding part number for trim switch J50PLSNF

hfdad

Cadet
I have a 2002 Johnson J50PLSNF on my pontoon boat. The problem I am having is that the trim switch on the throttle handle only works in one direction. I believe the switch needs replacing but can't find any part number for it. eBay sells conversion kits but because I don't have a part number, I'm afraid to order anything for fear it may not fit or work.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Look on the accessories listing for a control like yours, on that year motor, on crowleymarine or equivalent. I had the same issue some years ago, and it was difficult to get the part number, but I eventually found it. Once I had the P/N, the replacement switch was easy to buy.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I believe the switch needs replacing ?

have you actually digged into it to check if power is actually transferred or not to the control wire all the way back to the relay ?
Switches do go bad but they usually carry very little current and it may be perfectly good. Trim switches are usually momentary single pole (12v) double throw switches so just take a volt meter and confirm it is the switch that is bad or not....

if ok trace the faulty wire back to the motor.
see typical trim switch 3 wires B+red supply and 2 wires back to the relays

Attachments

• tilt-trim.PNG
    tilt-trim.PNG
    102.1 KB · Views: 3

hfdad

Cadet
I believe the switch needs replacing ?

have you actually digged into it to check if power is actually transferred or not to the control wire all the way back to the relay ?
Switches do go bad but they usually carry very little current and it may be perfectly good. Trim switches are usually momentary single pole (12v) double throw switches so just take a volt meter and confirm it is the switch that is bad or not....

if ok trace the faulty wire back to the motor.
see typical trim switch 3 wires B+red supply and 2 wires back to the relays
I have not put a voltmeter on it yet, but since the switch works in the up mode and once in a great while works in the down I assumed it was the switch. Good idea to check it though. Thanks.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
the switch may be mechanically defective or the contacts pitted or.... any wire junction up to the parallel mating joint of the cowl switches may be oxydized loose whatever...