need help finding good size motor for my boat

cameronhanny

Cadet
hey, im new to this stuff, bought my first boat a few days ago. 1981 glassmate 15 footer. came with a 25hp motor, I didn't see where it said the max hp motor sign is but haven't really had time to look at it much due to the weather. if anyone knows about what the max hp or recommended hp motor is please help me out. thanks in advance. im sure I will have more questions in the future.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: need help finding good size motor for my boat

I think they used to make 'em over in/near East Tennessee. Open fishing boat or do you have a runabout boat? Got pictures?

Welcome aboard.

southkogs

Staff member

Tri-hull fiberglass? Glassmate in TN made a bunch of those, and at 15' I'd guess you're slightly underpowered but not by much.

Like I said, post some photos up.

cameronhanny

Cadet

It is a single v. I am about to post some pics of it.

jbjennings

Captain

I wonder why it has a 25hp on it? I'd check into the strength of that transom very soon! I'd think a 60hp would be about right. I don't think a 25hp would plane that boat. It may weight less than I think......
JBJ

cameronhanny

Cadet

The guy I got it from was an older man that only used it for fishing, which is what I'm going to be doing, but I still want a bigger motor. He said it would push the boat but you couldn't run it full throttle because it was to small for the boat and it would burn the motor up. What is a good brand of motor to get if I'm looking for a 60hp?

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a 16 foot boat almost exactly like that...I believe it was rated for a 90. I'm guessing that your 15' would be a 75hp.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

… Oh yeah. You're all kinds of underpowered. Not the boat I was thinking it was. Seville's gotcha' going in a good direction.

jbjennings

Captain

Yamaha, Mercury, Nissan, Evinrude, Johnson, Tohatsu, suzuki....... Pretty much it comes down to if it is in good condition or not AND comes with controls. I would not buy a motor without controls unless it were about $300 less than I thought it was worth. Controls are high separately.
If I had my choice, I'd have a 2-stroke 70hp Yamaha less than 25 years old. 2nd choice would be a Mercury of the same age, 3rd would be a 60, 70, or 75hp OMC (johnson or evinrude) 2-stroke from 1974 and up, but in super condition. Honestly, you could probably buy a whole used rig for nearly what it will cost for a good motor by itself in many cases. But you might make a good trade since a good 25hp outboard is so desirable for many people that have 14' aluminum boats.
Good luck,
JBJ

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Double check and see what the max HP rating is on the boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Late to the game here. Agreed that it is probably rated for a 70-80hp though I think that it would perform just fine with a 50-55hp 2 cylinder outboard. There are plenty of them around also and they are simple and easy to work on.

Back when it was becoming popular to see these small glass bass boats Skeeter and Ranger used a lot of these sized engines on their 15' boats.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Until you do get a bigger motor go ahead and run your 25 wide open. It won't "burn up" if its propped correctly to run in the max RPM range.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Until you do get a bigger motor go ahead and run your 25 wide open. It won't "burn up" if its propped correctly to run in the max RPM range.

Yup, Bass Tracker used to sell their base model 16' with 25hp outboards on them. Though this is a bit heavier than a Tracker I do believe.

southkogs

Staff member

I ran a 16' glass boat underpowered for quite a while. I didn't often run full throttle because she wouldn't typically get up on plane, so it kinda' maxed out no matter how much throttle I tossed at it. But the motor ran just fine.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I would vote for a 2 cylinder 55 hp or so for economy unless you want fast then up to a 3 cylinder 60-75 hp.

cameronhanny

Cadet

Thanks for all the help, I'm hoping to catch a break in the weather and tear into the motor and give it a good cleaning and check for anything that is abnormal. I think it has a 3 blade prop on it but I'm not for sure. Haven't been able to look at it much due to weather and work. What is a good brand of oil to run in the motor for the time being?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I normally use the OMC oil from Walmart though I have also used Pennzoil and Valvoline also from Walmart. Easy mix, 1 pint to 6 gal, 1/2pt to 3 gal.