Need help decidin

rbyham

Seaman Apprentice
I have been searching for a first boat for about 3 months. Lots of driving, talking, reading, test driving. I am down to two. Both are early 90s. One is a Caravelle Royale 2350 the other a Larson Hampton 220. Both 5.7L and equal in all other regards as far as options. Price is same as well. Engine hours on the L are 900 the C has 520. The big difference is that the Caravelle is an immaculate one owner, the Larson has been through hands and shows it in terms of less care. I estimate it would take $1500 to get the Larson in same shape as the Caravelle. I like the Larson a bit better. The seating arrangement is better and it feels more spacious probably because of the 8'6" versus 8' beam. But the condition level of the Caravelle is truly impressive. It needs nothing to become my boat. The Larson needs exterior detailing, minor gelcoat repair, replace leaking exhaust manifolds, new batteries, replace cracked hatch cover, and missing anchor box cover as well as general cleaning. So how much should I weigh condition and indication of care? That and better layout of the Larson seem to be having the most impact on my decision. Thanks folks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Need help decidin

Caravelle. Engine hours and overall condition would be the way to go. As long as you are getting a decent deal. I would think the Larson would be 1/2 the price.

Btw you are in the prime age group for structural rot, so make sure you know what is happening beneath the shiny surface.