Need control box

chickm1

Cadet
I have a 1995 48SPL and would like to find a clean used control box. Mine works but I can see trouble on the horizon. Any suggestions ?

I see there are new Yamaha aftermarket boxes that look identical and are cheap. Does anyone make an aftermarket OMC box?
Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would think there are a lot of aftermarket OMC controls avail. I bought a Merc one a few years ago, w/o issue.

A lot of aftermarket controls are universal and will work with Mercury, Mercruiser and Johnnyrude. You might check those out. Likely Teleflex makes one.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your location ?-----Should be lots of used ones available as they were common for many years.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I had to open mine to change out the shift/throttle cable and then had a heck of a time getting it back together.

Got it back together about two times but the warm up throttle wouldn't work. I looked down kind of wiggled some things and I saw that two screws were loose pardon the pun. Tighten down those screws and everything went back together and work really well. Them boxes are definitely a complex engineered system.

You can buy those boxes online but to get the best deal you just need to start looking in one ads or garage sales. But I have a feeling down in Texas a lot of those motors rot out from the salt possibly.