Need Answers On Restoring My Boat!

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice
hey yall,

I just bought a 1972 16 foot fiberglass trihull and I have a few questions.

1-it needs fiberglass work on the bottom of the boat and I have no clue how to do it when I have no way of getting it raised above the trailer. Any suggestions?

2-the key broke as I pulled it out of the ignition...I managed to get both halves of the key out but is there a cheaper way to get another key then calling out a locksmith to come over and do it?

3-Any suggestions on painting it?

4-What is the easiest way to wire the lights on the boat?

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need Answers On Restoring My Boat!

1. Depending on how much fiberglass work you may need to flip the boat over.

2. Can't you take the 2 pieces to the locksmith?

3. Preperation, preperation, preperation, paint.
Spray or roll and tip, use marine paint only.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Regarding the key; Take it to the dealer. Most boat keys (Johnson, Merc, etc) are made with only a few combiniations. The key to my Johnson control from the 70s' was available at the local marine repair shop.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey yall,

I just bought a 1972 16 foot fiberglass trihull and I have a few questions.

1-it needs fiberglass work on the bottom of the boat and I have no clue how to do it when I have no way of getting it raised above the trailer. Any suggestions?

we need pics with this one....(to best determine the type of repair....you might have to do some from the inside as well)...
but you just move the boat back and forward along the trailer....and/or build cradles and take the boat off the trailer.

2-the key broke as I pulled it out of the ignition...I managed to get both halves of the key out but is there a cheaper way to get another key then calling out a locksmith to come over and do it?

mark 42 is correct....the dealer will have your key for 5 bux.....take your old stock one in .....it has a number on it.

3-Any suggestions on painting it?

welll there is a loaded question .......use the search button !

on you back for hours with your head under the dash.

cheers
oops

zach103

Commander

hey yall,

Theres a couple diagrams in the Electrics forum that show you how to wire it.. take a look there

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice

thanks!

i got the key today! it was 4 bucks and i was thrilled.

last week it cranked up in 2 seconds but i tried to crank it this afternoon and it just turned over and wouldnt ever crank...any suggestions? i may be doing something wrong because i am new at this.

zach103

Commander

choke? im not sure.. go to the engines section. find your make and start a thread in there.. i know nothing about i/o's so im not your guy lol.. but watch for the choke, some time of kill switch.. battery.. electrical check all connections.. did you take something off. move something

oregon00

Seaman Apprentice

i didnt touch anything although i did strip out the "unneeded" wires. maybe they were needed lol

zach103

Commander

maybe.. well go post a thread in the engne forums and tell them exactly whats wrong .. and get a manual for your engine and outdrive