Need another Motorcycle...

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, want. I was all good and hadn't ridden in the 4 1/2 years since I sold my last one to get my boat, with essentially zero desire to ride again anytime soon. Then one of my sons bought a GSX-R600 and I took an impromptu ride on it. That got me quickly rethinking that whole issue.

I know I got a lot more practical use from bikes than I have from my boat, mostly commuting back and forth to/from work. Boat is useless for that, lol. But I knew it ahead of time.

I actually put my boat for sale for a while this season, since I just haven't been able to use it as much as I'd like, due to the weather not lining up with my day off, or mostly not feeling like going through the whole process of readying it, trailering it there, and still having the nagging stresses associated with a 30+ year old boat while there. One guy came to see it, and I flubbed showing it for a couple of reasons. He was happy to run away I think, lol.

I still really enjoy the lake, when the boat is running well and that; just not able to get there easily/often.

flashback

Captain
it's pristine 2003 Yamaha.

Attachments

• NCM_0174.JPG
    NCM_0174.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was talking to a guy with a REALLY nice looking '86 FJ1200 Yamaha for sale, but somebody bought it.

Last bike was a GSX1100G (fast and heavy). Test rode a 1984 Honda Interceptor 1000 - red, white, and blue one time back in '05; that might be my dream bike, just from the styling perspective (with enough power to keep me happy too). Prob really hard to find that in good shape at a decent price now.

I like the V65 Sabres too... Again, fewer than there used to be. Not really into the big cruisers. I'll probably see what's for sale every once in a while; maybe do something in the spring.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I am still a fan of the original Sabre and Magna 1100's 84-85....... and I have mostly been a sportbike guy. I have been thru Suzuki 1200 Bandits and Honda CBR-R ........ last rocketship was my BMW K1200S (a true 175mph+) which was incredible.......... Now that I am in my late 60's I have changed style and gone with a BMW F650GS which is an on/off road. It is lighter and simple to handle ;) If I was younger I would probably struggle with the BMW 1250 Adventure or even looking at the HD Pan America.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Kawasaki Concours 1000? Kinda looking at one of those. Didn't really like the head-on look of it, but did a little research today, and overall it's growing on me. They seem to have a following too, of people that like them.

It'd probably be just a tad heavier and slower than what I had before, but pretty comparable I'd think. Both around 100hp and 1/4 mile times in the 11s if the data I saw is right.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found an '84 VF1000F a few hundred miles away. The price is right, but the bike looks to match it. Guy says it runs "good". May or may not go to see it. Really don't want a project. He's got an old Interceptor collection for sale.

Bob_VT

Staff member
Found an '84 VF1000F a few hundred miles away. The price is right, but the bike looks to match it. Guy says it runs "good". May or may not go to see it. Really don't want a project. He's got an old Interceptor collection for sale.
be cau·tious because those motors did not have cam bushings and actually wore into the heads same as the old V-4 motors of that era from honda. I regret selling my BMW K1200S but, it will get you hooked. 167 rwhp and no one suspected how fast it really was. I will also admit that an old Nighthawk 700S would handle like a dream

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How would I know there was a problem? I'm leaning toward renting a trailer and having a look. I've seen that cams were an issue for the early ones of these, and something about aftermarket cam oiling kits. Unless there's something obvious, I know I'd be kind of rolling the dice on the whole thing. It's sort of in barn find shape right now, but he says it runs great (per last contact with him), and that he thinks it could be a nice bike.

I'm inclined to think he's being honest, but who knows? I've been taken before, on a Subaru car with a blown head gasket from a guy who seemed nice. He ought to know these too, as he has at least 3 running bikes 750-1000, + a few parts ones. This may be the only '84 though.

flashback

Captain
If i were selling a quality motorcycle I would wait until spring.
Your asking for a sychoanalis evaluation on someone we don't even know..

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, I'm just responding to Bob's be cautious advice (well founded, esp. on a bike that looks like this one). I'm really asking for a cycleanalysis on a bike y'all haven't even seen or heard, lol.

My plan is to go see it and decide in person if our schedules will line up (especially after hearing it run/riding it).

My biggest misgivings right now don't relate to seller or bike at all really - I watched a video on adjusting the valves yesterday, and depending on when you catch me, I just really don't have the heart for all that anymore (+ carb maintenance at least once, prob). Not that I ever did really. I just want to turn it over to my fictional personal expert mechanic, give him a big Christmas bonus, and go enjoy riding. Dang I'm lazy.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I came, I saw, I rode, and I decided to pass.

Still like the style. There was too much on that one that stacked up against it - cosmetically and mechanically. At least as far as I'm concerned. But it did run and shift quite well, that I could tell. Doesn't seem like a bike you'd casually open the throttle wide in 1st gear on - too much there. Maybe after you got to know it.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pulled the trigger this afternoon on a super nice '97 Kawasaki ZX-11, and rode it home 120+ miles. That was a cold ride for the last half or more.

It's not as comfortable as the bikes I was used to (or the '84 Honda I tested), and visibility due to mirror location isn't really great - hard to see directly behind you. Made me feel like the full situational awareness wasn't there. Maybe I'll get used to it though. It's definitely got power and to spare.

harringtondav

Commander
Still have my second, and last bike. 1975 Kawasaki H1F 500 2 stroke triple.
It ran fine 12 yrs ago before we bought our river house. It's been sleeping in the garage since due to numerous projects at the river place.
Soon I'll take the plugs out and see if it even kicks over....without puking 2 stroke oil. Leaking oil injection line check valves can fill the crankcase. If it turns, I'm good. ....Bucket list is to get it running again.

Bob_VT

Staff member
Pulled the trigger this afternoon on a super nice '97 Kawasaki ZX-11, and rode it home 120+ miles. That was a cold ride for the last half or more.

It's not as comfortable as the bikes I was used to (or the '84 Honda I tested), and visibility due to mirror location isn't really great - hard to see directly behind you. Made me feel like the full situational awareness wasn't there. Maybe I'll get used to it though. It's definitely got power and to spare.
Good bike! My suggeation as first order of business - change ALL the fluids including a brake line flush. ALL the filters too. Very fast ENJOY!

Bob_VT

Staff member
It ran fine 12 yrs ago before we bought our river house. It's been sleeping in the garage since due to numerous projects at the river place.
Soon I'll take the plugs out and see if it even kicks over....without puking 2 stroke oil. Leaking oil injection line check valves can fill the crankcase. If it turns, I'm good. ....Bucket list is to get it running again.
Love the Triples! Quick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bud of mine is storing a 750 triple "widowmaker" that has been "tweeked" he is scared of the bike and he used to drag bikes in the late 80's thru 00's

any bike that will pull the wheel off the ground at 80mph by rolling the throttle would scare me as well. the front wheel wobble of the 750's is the killer

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good bike! My suggeation as first order of business - change ALL the fluids including a brake line flush. ALL the filters too. Very fast ENJOY!
Yes, I want to do the oil and filter very soon. It seems to have been very well maintained and a lot of the other fluids have been done recently. I need to dig into the records to confirm all that.

It was a one-family bike - dad (a doctor) bought new in '97, and son got it a couple years ago. Based on the mods and maintenance, none of them seemed shy about getting their hands dirty (and/or had the $ to get stuff done like carbs). Son was very knowledgeable about it, and understandably was a little sentimental about seeing it go.

On the way home I dropped a couple gears to pull away from a moderate tailgater at 75mph, and well you know the rest... It got up there quickly.

harringtondav

Commander
bud of mine is storing a 750 triple "widowmaker" that has been "tweeked" he is scared of the bike and he used to drag bikes in the late 80's thru 00's

any bike that will pull the wheel off the ground at 80mph by rolling the throttle would scare me as well. the front wheel wobble of the 750's is the killer
Also @Bob_VT. I joined the Kawasaki Triples FB group for insight, NOS parts, etc. There is quite a following/cult for these vintage bikes. And SD, so true about the wimpy frames vs power. I bought my 500 when I was 21. But I never had the nads to pull up serious wheelies. I tried fast curves once or twice, but decided straight on hole shots were fun enough and safe...as long as I remembered to tighten the steering damper first.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Those big ring dingers were monster machines in their day. I had a 74 triple that I should have kept. Worth a little money these days.