need advice on used boat

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys. Sold my good old tri hull yesterday so looking for something bigger to replace her. I found a 97 Key West 19 DC with a 03 Honda 115 4 stroke with around 800 hours. Talked to the guy tonight and plan on going to look at it soon. A few q's... He said it needed a water pump- that it does pump water but not very strong. Said he hasn't taken boat out since and that it hasn't overheated. Never had a 4 stroke outboard or Honda. I do fix my own stuff though. Anything I should check out specifically besides compression, LU oil, etc? Also in the pics he sent the hull looks decent but has bottom paint that looks bad... needs to be redone. Anything I should check with a boat that was left in the water? Thanks!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I would be cautious.If he knows it needs a waterpump,then why would he sell it w/o replacing it? The motor must have either run hot or overheated for him to state that it needs to be replaced. You cant beat a Honda product but 800 hours sounds like an aweful lot of hours.Charlie

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd fix it before selling also. His story is some dirt dobbers got in there over the winter and made a home and now it's doesn't pump water good. I read about the honda outboards that they will shut off before overheating. Anybody know if they did that in 2003? For the price it's hard for me to at least not go look at it lol

Last edited: