Need advice on anti skid paint

john from md

Commander
I have removed the carpet from my ex ski boat and what to paint it with anti skid paint. I have done some research and found the following different types. Mixed with aggregate, paint with aggregate sprinkled on, two part epoxy plus aggregate.

I need some help in determining which paint to buy. The boat is used solely for fishing so I do not want to replace the carpet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

John

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need advice on anti skid paint

Have you considered the anti-skid self stick strip sold in Home Depot? You can get it in 1, 2, and 4 inch wide strips of whatever length you want. Certainly easier on the bare feet than sand paint and easier to remove later if you don't like it. Comes in white, grey, and black.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

John-
Many years ago I renovated a 23' Wellcraft. After removing the carpet I decided to paint the plywood deck. I used a 2 part epoxy and added sand for aggregate. It went on easy and flowed well. All in all, it worked great and still looked perfect 8 years later when I sold it.
The only issue was cleanup. If you go epoxy, wear old clothing and use gloves!

john from md

Commander

Frank,

I thought about the anti skid tape and gave a small section a try. I wasn't happy with the results so I decided to go with paint. I fish in old sneakers so I'm not worried about my feet.

Arks,

Did you put the epoxy on with a roller? I was thinking of making it white and using play sand which seems to have good sharp edges vs building sand which seems more rounded.

John

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can look up Durabak on the net which is a good surface or you can add as muck anti-slip to your current top coat paint. Anti-slip is usually no more than play sand or black sand blasting media

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, I used a 'mini-coater' roller and disposable brush for the corners. As I recall the whole job only took a couple hours.
I chose light gray and it stayed nice and bright.
I don't remember what kind of sand I used but it's entirely possible I just took a little bit from my kids sandbox :D.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I used Durabak on my Bayliner deck, you can see results on the thread link by my signature line. The product is very durable. If I did it again I would use one coat of textured, and two top coats of non-textured. It's very easy to maintain, and clean.

john from md

Commander

Bear,

Fantastic job on your Bayliner! Although in my opinion, it is now too nice to fish from. ;)

My Bayliner is an '85 and not nearly as nice. It is a good fishing boat for me although I wish it had a smaller engine considering the price of gas. :rolleyes:

John