Nautolex Installation

Greetings-

I am about to install Nautolex over new decking in my '68 16 ft Starcraft SS. I have read and reread the instructions but still have some questions for those who have gone before me. I'm planning on wrapping the Nautolex around the new plywood decking and would like to know if i should glue, staple, or both to the underside. I understand the Nautolex 88 has a tendency to off gas for a week or so and I am wondering if I should wait to try securing the underside until rolling out the bubbles for a week or so.

During this off gassing and re-rolling phase, should the plywood be placed upside down (Nautolex side down) on a cool concrete floor or will this just prolong the drying time for the 88?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I installed Nautolex on my deck, in my side pockets & bow area hull sides, console backs, and bow deck supports. I used the Nautolex adhesive. I did have some issues with bubbles that didn't want to go away no matter how much I rolled them out. However after a day or two it all seemed to miraculously lay down and be perfect. I did not wrap my deck. I had that all installed and the seams fiberglass taped and epoxied as well as the screws covered over with epoxy. It's stayed perfect for 7 years. For stuff you do wrap, DO NOT try to wrap it right away. apply glue to the main face of it and put the vinyl down. You can flip it upside down and weight it if you like. Then when it's completely dry you can put some glue on the edges and wrap and staple the rest. If you try it do it all in one shot the edges WILL bubble on the front side.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am not a fan of the Nautolex adhesive. If you are using it on raw plywood (like a pontoon deck) I think it works fine. But it relies very much on evaporation, and if you apply it over fiberglass, there is no where for the water to soak or evaporate. I had major issues when I used it on my SeaKing. Loved the vinyl, but the adhesive is not the best I have ever used. And at $100 a gallon, I was really not impressed.

Thanks for the replies! I've spent a lot of time reading the forums but I had not seen this issue covered. These forums have been extremely helpful to me in providing "how to" and materials selection information.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I got glue form Home Depot, the one for felt back vinyl floors; much cheaper.

I did not have edge bubbling problems, but I was doing on a nice hot day, stretched and stapled. I only put glue on top side, no edges or underside lip. Been on for two years now.

Welcome tot he forum.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
When I did mine, I ran out of the Nautolex adhesive close to the end and finished with the cheapo outdoor carpet adhesive from Lowes/Home Depot. Although I'm hesitant to recommend it to others, I will admit it worked fine and I've had not issues with either in 7 years since it was applied.

I used the Nautolex 88 adhesive to secure the Nautolex to the topside of the deck pieces. I think for the large areas the fact that the 88 doesn't immediately lock down is a good thing as it allows you to get any air bubbles worked out prior to locking them in forever. However, even after a week of dry time the material near the edges still didn't seem to be stuck down very well. I rolled all the panels to get any trapped air out and then placed them face down on the garage floor and rolled my snowmobile trailer on top of them to provide some pressure. I re-rolled them after 24 hours and there were only a couple of small bubbles. My garage temps ranged from about 61 - 66 degrees during the drying time. Maybe I didn't get enough of the 88 on to get good adhesion.

I decided for the edges and backside wrap I wanted something stickier and used DAP Weldwood contact cement. I liked the way this worked for this purpose but I'm glad I didn't use it for the topside because it is not very forgiving and it would have been hard to get any trapped air out of a large surface area. I also used monel staples to secure the wrap on the backside. Overall I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks to all who have gone before me with this same project as you've all been a big help.