Narrow mounting holes on old Merc

mildewing

Cadet
I just got a 1982 Mercury 115hp. I just noticed that the mounting holes are narrow. This motor may not stay on my boat because it only has 85-88 psi on all 6 and i have run it yet. Do i have any inexpensive options besides drilling new holes?

mildewing

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I did build that stand before i went to pick up the motor, this site is great.

I was afraid i would have to drill new holes but was hoping maybe some kind of jack plate adapter or something would work for a test drive. I am worried that i will get the motor running good on the stand to find out it lacks power under load.

I still have about a week until my transom replacement is complete. The tilt tube has the old steering froze in too so i need to replace that before it goes on the boat. Starting to wonder if maybe this motor wasn't the best option, even at $100.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
100 bucks! If you get her running it may be a good investment.

Sounds like the motor has been sitting for a while. See if compression improves after getting it to run, then you can make the decision.

The original motor used the BIA standard mounting as newer motors use and a jackplate would too. A jackplate would need drilling on the motor side to mount the motor. Mercs switched over to BIA mounts, but it was phased in and I'm not sure when.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
mid 80's is when the mounting pattern standardized

mildewing

Cadet
Thanks. I will start a new thread when i try and get the motor started. There is at least one burnt wire i will need help with.