Building an O/B motor stand - Instructional Verified

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh4winn79

Cadet
I have decided to put together some detailed information on my o/b motor stand. My hope is that my documentation will help all those DIY newbie?s find some direction for getting started. I am a drafter by trade and just love to draw things in detail. I have included 11x17 prints of my motor stand that include a pictorial view, assembly directions and a parts layout.

I am new to the whole boat restoration scene and have found so many helpful tips throughout the web and thought I might be able to contribute also. I couldn?t find any detailed instructions on how to build your own motor stand, but I did find plenty of pictures of stands people had built. This stand is fairly inexpensive and seems to be really strong.

I used [4] 2x4x96, [1] 2x6x96, [4] 3in casters (175 lbs capacity), [16] 5/16x1 lag screws and approximately [60] 2 1/2in deck screws. It took me about 3 tries to get one that I really liked and so my prints or of my final product. I have a 1979 Chrysler 55hp O/B sitting on it and my stand seems to be holding up nicely. I really hope all of this helps and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.;)

Link to PDF file (1.33mb)

Here are some Pics:

First attempt:
IMG_3627.jpg

Got some help from my kids:
IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

Final stand after modifications made:
IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

dh4winn79

Cadet
Re: Building an O/B motor stand - Instructional

Here are just a few more pics:

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg

Pics of 11x17 prints:
OutboardStanddwg1.jpg

OutboardStanddwg2.jpg

OutboardStanddwg4.jpg

OutboardStanddwg5.jpg

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks, I was thinking I might need a stand if I do some work to my boat this fall. Nice job with the diagrams and all. Will definitely put this on my subscribed list.

Looks like your little guy was a lot of help :)

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are pics of my home made rig...

Attachments

• DSC01888.jpg
    DSC01888.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01889.jpg
    DSC01889.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01890.jpg
    DSC01890.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great details, i book marked it for future reference, to help others.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I built my stand w/o casters. It's a pain to move now (of course, we didn't think it'd be so bad when the motor was still on the boat).

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You forgot the beverage rack...the wife's old broiler pan works better for catching drips that a plastic bin. Nice job. I always put a cross brace forward and rear so you can plant the skeg on something at either end just before you hear that problem disc/vertebra go "crack!"

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

wheres the pic of the Christmas ornaments scattered allover from the tub that you emptied.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

awesome job great detail:D
just a suggestion..if you add the pdf link to your signature it would make it easier for people to find it in the future

dh4winn79

Cadet

(new_boater) that is a great suggestion about the signature link. I think I will go ahead and do that tommorrow.

(tmcalavy) a beverage rack would be a good idea. Lets see what we can do about that.

I do have a few things to add to it still. I need to mount the battery and gas tank. I also need to find a place for the ignition. It is a work in progress at this point. You see my problem is that when I start something I want it to be the best that I can make it. I am never really satisfied with it until I have spent three times as much time on it as I should. Oh well, at this point I really don't have the money to work on the actual boat, but I got plenty of scrap wood lying around. So I need something to work on why not have a tricked out motor stand. I will continue to update with pics.:D

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a nice looking piece that you have there. How did you come upon the plans or did you come up with them on your own?

dh4winn79

Cadet

I did them myself. It's what I do for a living. I am a mechanical drafter, so I like to draw that kind of stuff. Glad you enjoy. Hope it is helpful.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There seems to be one drawing missing (6 of 6). I can't figure out what part F does.
Intuitively they are the base pair that accept the casters, but I wanted to double check. The perspective drawing does not really scream 2x6.
Nice job Sir!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There seems to be one drawing missing (6 of 6). I can't figure out what part F does.
Intuitively they are the base pair that accept the casters, but I wanted to double check. The perspective drawing does not really scream 2x6.
Nice job Sir!
From the "look a little harder" department:
I thought everything was in the thread.
Found the download, please disregard the previous post.
The download files are even more impressive!
Thanks.

iwombat

Captain

So, I did something similar a couple of years back, and here's my design suggestions if you ever want to do a rev 2.0.

With those diagonal supports arranged like you have them, it's impossible to remove a tilt-pin, and just as hard to access the T&T manual release valve. My diagonals were 2x6 so they were big enough to drill holes to get to that stuff. If you move the supports so they intersect about 1/2-way up the simulated transom, everything is accessible.

jonesg

Admiral

What about some method of raising and lowering the engine,
my motor weighs 375lbs.

I was thinking of using a bottle jack inside a frame, nah..

80 T-Bird F-1

Recruit

My Johnson 140 weighs in at 293 lbs I was going to just buy a dolly and chop and weld something up from that. I'd like to be able to tilt and roll the thing rather than having permanent casters. Has anyone seen anything like this? Plan B is to start from scratch with some Aluminum I have laying around the shop.

jonesg

Admiral

just an idea.
A dollykart.

I think I need an engine hoist though, on wheels.

Attachments

• dollycart.jpg
    dollycart.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 6

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Some of us antique boaters who also fool with antique outboards use old walkers with a transom board as a rack for smaller outboards. The wheeled ones are great..easy transport. Don't know why someone with welding/tubing skills couldn't make a reinforced version for heavier, newer outboards plus hydraulics for lifting it off the rack so it could pivot and drop on the transom. There's the concept...I'll wait to see if a younger, ingenious soul comes up with one and posts it here.

jonesg

Admiral

problem is, I can buy an engine hoist on wheels for $150 new or $100 on craigslist, a stand isn't as hard to make as the hoist part.
Me and my buddy lifted my 150 with a pole and straps, 375lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.