Mystery engine. Pics attached. no spark

5thcorps

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 2, 2017
Messages
13
Hello everybody. My first post. I am a 20 year dodge jeep mechanic and electrical specialist who was tasked with getting this boat engine running. My problem is I don't know exactly what it is.
frown.gif
There are what I believe to be mercury logos on various small parts like freeze plugs but all signs point to it being a Johnson from what a friend has told me. Any thoughts? It has no spark. If I could figure out what the engine is then possibly someone could point me to where I could find the manual for diagnosing the electronics. It is a v4 I'm pretty sure and big enough to be around 100hp I'm thinking. Any help in identifying and finding the manual on this thing is GREATLY appreciated.
IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0707.JPG
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,947
It is a JOHNSON of 110 /115 hp rating.-----Late 1980's model is my guess.-----The M you see is the OMC logo.---Nothing to do with Mercury motors at all.---------Post picture of the cowling if it is original graphics.
 

5thcorps

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 2, 2017
Messages
13
Cowling has been completely stripped and repainted. no markings left
 

5thcorps

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 2, 2017
Messages
13
Any idea where a service manual or electrical diagnostic info could be found?
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,947
Do you see a timing belt anywhere ?-----------------No these are a 2 stroke motor.--------Originally came with oil injection.---------It is up to you to determine if oil injection is still in service.---------Many were bypassed in favour of 50:1 premix.---------Running that motor on straight gas will be expensive !
 

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Joined
May 4, 2004
Messages
4,721
Any idea where a service manual or electrical diagnostic info could be found?
OEM manual should be available from Ken Cook Co.at https://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm but you need to ID it first. No ID plate on the transom clamp bracket ?
The model number may be on a welch plug on the powerhead somewhere.

I think it will be covered by one of the ( Seloc) manuals at http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

See also the troubleshooting guide on the CDI electronics website http://www.cdielectronics.com/support/

Also much useful info on the Engine FAQs board http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq
 
Last edited:
Top