My Turn To Rant

gonfishn

Commander
I have a nice home in the country(or had) thats sits on about five acres. The home is about 3,000 Square feet with a three car detached Garage.<br /><br />After I re-married I moved into town mainly because of my health and the work involved in the up keep.<br /><br />A professional couple He an Engineer and she a Nurse with three kids wanted to rent the home. I figured at $1100 a month rent they would take care of it. Man was I wrong. They moved out after two years and its going to cost me about six grand to fix her back up..<br /><br />They had animals and I have to replace three rooms on the carpet side. Holes in the wall and I could go on and on from here.<br /><br />They were dumb enough to leave alot of stuff in the Garage. A 46"cut lawn tractor,engine puller and alot of tools. New locks have been put on and if they don't pay up its all mine acoording to the court order I have..<br /><br />She is up for sale now. Its depressing to see such a nice home be destroyed and look like it does now..I guess trash is trash even if folks are on the educated side..

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: My Turn To Rant

Trash is trash, like you said. It has little to do with "book-learnin", far more to do with upbringing. I know millionaires I would not allow into my humble home. I know a homeless person with so much pride, I cannot get him and his family to stay here long enough to get back on his feet...Yet, I'd trust him alone in my home.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Hear ya gonfishn!!!<br />Just because a person has a degree does not mean that that person is smart,well educated maybe!!!!<br /><br />A friend of mine a few years back had rented a house to a well educated person with 9 kids!!! New rugs windows cabinets etc:. This fella also was running for mayor at the time!!!! This person renting never paid a days rent, or the home heating bill, cut one to two foot squares out of the rug, nailed and or screwed the windows shut that already had workable locks, holes in the walls etc: And like you 7-8000 dollars of damage!!! Insurance paid for most!!!<br /><br />Here in Mass. it takes 8 months or so to legally evict some one out of a house!!!! And my friend is a state trooper!!!! ;) :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Rich, smart, educated, even well raised does not make a person ethical. Personal ethics and honor seem to ignore all of the standard prejudices of our culture.<br /><br />I agree with 12Footer. You don't find trustworthy people by reading their resume, you find it by reading their soul.

KaGee

Admiral

Which is exactly why when my dad passed I wanted the house sold... no way did I want to be anywheres near the word "landlord".

Homerr

Commander

I thought of renting my home... but only briefly...<br /><br />Just thinking of the problems I have with it now to say the least what a tenant would bring.<br /><br />Nope.<br /><br />If you want to rent, I would buy a newer duplex or similar that you can fix easily.<br />Renting is great residual income, but the upkeep... <br /><br />I'd rather be fishing!<br /><br />H.

bubbakat

Captain

Yep been there and done that, got the t-shirt and the bills to show for it.<br />At one time I had ten rent houses and now am down to two and if I can find the right buyer I will sell those.<br />Don't want nothing to do with rental game no more.<br />Oh the Horror the horror :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

been there too. found a solution. we turned all the properties over to a management firm. if the renters did not pay they still had to pay us. its amazing how fast you get the deadbeats out if your a rental agency. took us 6 months and they could have the currituck sherriff moving stuff in ten days.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Usually renters rent due to bad credit. Bad credit means that they have no record of doing what is required of them. If they can't keep their credit record clean, they aren't going to keep your property clean and damage free.<br /><br />With my ability to handle any residential maintenance, I have often thought about buying properties. What stops me is the thought of giving up my boating/fishing time to fix problems with the rentals. My BIL has several and he is always frustrated on the way his renters are.<br /><br />It is hard to let go of property that has been in the family along time, but sometimes you gotta move on. Good Luck Jeff on your situation. Wish I had some time to volunteer to help you out.

Moody Blue

Captain

One solution worked well for me. Years ago I owned a house in Toronto and rented out the basement apartment to help pay the mortgage. Mostly good people except for one couple. Wouldn't pay rent, loud, dirty etc etc. After putting up with this SH** for 3 months,3 big buddies and myself "moved them out" in 2 hours. Not something I would try today though with all the guns and shootings.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am a renter, unfortunately, but it is not due to bad credit. That is a stereotype. Some people rent because they do not have the driving need to own property, some people rent because they like the thought of living in a place and not having to pay for the major repair like reroofing and stuff like that, other people like to be able to move for a change of scenery. Me, I rent because I do not make enough money to buy in the over inflated real estate market of my local area. Every house I have ever rented has been left in better condition than when I moved in. My current house, for example, has been repainted on the inside, light fixtures replaced, all landscaping outside has been trimmed and manitained, the mailbox and post it was mounted on torn out and replaced, all on my time and dime. The property management reimburses me for stuff if I take a receipt in, which is cool. All our neighbors love us, say we have been the best tenants that they can remember. The best way to prevent having a bad rener is to get references, several of them, and actually check them out. I do want to buy, but I need just a little less debt and a bit more cash coming in. The sad thing is I can afford a mortgage no problem, it is getting approved that has proven difficult because I only work 8 months a year full time. Oh well, it will happen when it happens.

bubbakat

Captain

Jason I agree with you on you outlook here and if I could get renters like you I would own 50 rental properties.<br />People like you are 1 in a thousand. I could afford to lower the rent a little for a good tennant.<br />I had one couple that rented from me for five years and I gave them a good deal on the rent. They eventualy got to the point where they could buy so I helped them find the right mortage company and don't regret it. They deserved it.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One of my wifes girlfriends gave her as a reference as a owner she had rented from(BS)When the laddie called,it was me that answered the phone.I not only told the gal that she lied about us as a reference,that she was trash and has a long history of not paying her rent.The gal couldn't thank me enough,she said I was the third person she had talked to and the others had nothing but wonderful things to say about the girl.There is no way I would rent to this girl and I wont lie for anyone.<br />If anyone is thinking about renting to someone,I'd go the extra mile to check them out.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My parents had nothing but trouble from their rent property.<br /><br />My SIL and family rented a house for 5 years and one day the landlord said, you have 30 days to get out cause I want to live here.<br /><br />Luckily they found a house they could buy.<br /><br />Ken

gonfishn

Commander

It wasn't a problem on the rent side with these folks. I figured over the two years they were there i got over $26,000 bucks from them. They were always on time.<br /><br />I went down last night and checked the inventory they left behind(their bad). Brand new yard man tractor,new engine puller,and alot of tools. Value that is under lock and key I figure well over five grand..<br /><br />They also had put down an $1100 deposit. I guess I am better off than most. At least i will be able to recoup some of my money. She is up for sale now and already have had an offer even though the remod is still going on..

SoulWinner

Commander

Yep, trash is trash. I would NEVER rent a house to me! Heck, I hate to even buy a house knowing what I'm gonna do to it!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

The repo company is currently looking for that tractor!!!...Guess where your place in line will be :D

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by neumanns:<br /> The repo company is currently looking for that tractor!!!...Guess where your place in line will be :D
That's what I thought too! :D <br /><br />I also agree with Jason, not all renters are trash. I for one was an excellent tenent when i rented.<br /><br />That said, there is just something about actually having a financial interest in your residence that makes you care more about it. Anyone else have "public housing" in their town that seems to cost millions to build, is as nice or nicer than any private apartments is town, then just 10 years later your city is begging HUD for millions to demolish & rebuild. That's because the people who live there have no interest in maintaining it. They'll get new when it's torn down. And also the budget to maintain is nothing like the one to build it.

Realgun

Commander

I was a good renter when I was renting. I alway got my deposits back. But now we have a home (12 yrs) and we will never ever go back to renting.<br /><br />Now my brother loves to rent we call him a slum lord and he loves the title. But hes big and mean and he knows how and to whom to rent. He does very well. He buy Aptments that are 3 and 4 together. He buys them in bad shape and fixes them up then rents. He then rents for like 2 years and maintains them very well. Then he sells!<br />Somehow he gets people who are low in luck but don't usually trash the places. He does all Maintence except what I do.<br />He makes a good load of money from that I will tell you. Last time he bought four buildings as described but he only sold the 1.<br /><br />And get this he buys in the worst neighborhoods.