My turn , got mine kicked !

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After all the advice I have given in here I thought the need to share . I was doing some routine tuning / tinkering on my boat last weekend , installed a new ski mirror , moved the electric compass , double checked the carb sinc ect . She ran fine . I put everything back together and she would crank but would not start . So I went back over everything thinking I had pulled something loose . Found nothing (2 hrs) Next I started testing things , no spark ,all components checked ok , engine cranks good and the chokes would not close . Put battery voltage to the choke solenoid and they closed .. Has to be the ignition switch .. Out to the boat store , out of stock , next store 45 min away got a new one installed it .. same thing (another 4 hrs ) Retested the choke solenoid with battery voltage they would not close ... No brainer huh .. shorted choke solenoid . Ordered one , installed it and the same thing . Looking over the motor again I noticed my battery charger light was in charging mode even though it had been plugged in . Checked the battery , 11.98 volts , no wait 11.6 volts , no 11.2 volts all in about 10 seconds ... Checked battery amps 90 ...Bad battery !!! new battery installed and no problems , She runs like a top . I know battery voltage is the second thing to check on my sticky thread and I skipped that step . Cost me 7 hrs of my time and 60 bucks in parts that I did not need . I am posting this so everyone can realize there is no diagnostic step that should be skipped on these things .