My stern drive oil is black

Laneman25

Seaman
Just bought a 2001 Volvo SX-M 5.0 GL and the oil on the dipstick is black. Just wondering if full synthetic is that color or is the oil really old?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Probably hasn't been changed.

Do all the PM service the prior owner didn't do

Have you pulled the drive to inspect the gimbal, u-joints, alignment? Have you done a bellows job?

Laneman25

Seaman
Probably hasn't been changed.

Do all the PM service the prior owner didn't do

Have you pulled the drive to inspect the gimbal, u-joints, alignment? Have you done a bellows job?
Not yet, just got the boat and starting all the service checks

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Could be the wrong type of oil, very old oil or burnt oil from overheating. Change it regardless and I`d pull the drive for an overall inspection and service.

Scott06

Admiral
Just bought a 2001 Volvo SX-M 5.0 GL and the oil on the dipstick is black. Just wondering if full synthetic is that color or is the oil really old?
The only time i have seen black drive lube (this is bluesih green merc hi perf) was when I bought a handyman's special. Boat was 10-11 yrs old with only 37 hrs and a cracked block due to no winterization.... Pretty sure lube had never been changed, boat still had the original fuel and oil filters on that were painted black when engine was built...

Amazing how you can screw up a boat by not doing any maintenance. Having said that if the lube isn't milky from mositure you are probably ok. I just finished my 8th summer since repowering.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Old or lots of use.
I run Merc high performance oil. Oil comes out black every fall. Gets 150 hours or so a year on it thuogh

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I run Royal Purple synthetic oil and and gear lube and yes they get darker with age, but the they go in darker than most. only way your going to know is change all the fluids and do the normal maintenance as was said then next year when you do it again see what it looks like