My Starcraft

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. This is my first post.. Im not sure what I have. Its an old 18' starcraft. I bought it off of some scrappers for the price of aluminum at the time. 300$? It was remodeled, rotten, and so far gone, it didn't resemble any particular model. It did have a cuddy cabin, and an inboard engine. I completely gutted it to the hull. Pressure washed it, and have been using it for a shed roof for the last 6 years.

I think I've decided to take it down and get it back in the water. The hull is in great shape, and the transom seems ok. I'm considering an outboard conversion, and a rethought interior. It will be primarily for fishing in the puget sound.

Still finding my way around this site. Just joined, so I'll finally be able to see all the build photos, get some ideas, and answer my ?'s before I ask. Hope I can share some in the future.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome, let’s see some pics?

it could be restorable, or if it has seen a lot of corrosion via saltwater, stray electrical currents or other organic contributors, it could be toast.
Let us have a peek before you do anything

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Hello @Alecapone ! You will have to post some pics of this old gal, pay the mob dues. Seen a few guys start the outboard conversion, but havent been around long enough to see it finished. Looking forward to seeing the project!

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks! pictures are from when I first got it. I'll take some of the index later today. Bow looks like shiny new aluminum where the foam was. I'll put em up for advice before I bother taking the boat down.

Any thoughts on the condition, and what model it was? The pitting under the stern is the worst spot. Some ontop of the gunwalls.

I was considering buying a used boat, but feel it will end up being work one way or another. I have access to a top notch welder/ fabricator(he can build a whole new boat if I could afford it)), and my next door neighbour pops rivets for boeing. I am a caulker/ waterproofer, so sealing it all up is on me.20150830_123334.jpg

Attachments

• 20150830_123527.jpg
    20150830_123527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • 20150830_123544.jpg
    20150830_123544.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 20150830_123339.jpg
    20150830_123339.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • 20150830_123551.jpg
    20150830_123551.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 20150830_123637.jpg
    20150830_123637.jpg
    986.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Hodgey4489

Cadet
Thanks! pictures are from when I first got it. I'll take some of the index later today. Bow looks like shiny new aluminum where the foam was. I'll put em up for advice before I bother taking the boat down.

Any thoughts on the condition, and what model it was? The pitting under the stern is the worst spot. Some ontop of the gunwalls.

I was considering buying a used boat, but feel it will end up being work one way or another. I have access to a top notch welder/ fabricator(he can build a whole new boat if I could afford it)), and my next door neighbour pops rivets for boeing. I am a caulker/ waterproofer, so sealing it all up is on me.View attachment 339669
Awesome! Looks like a Holiday to me. Much smarter people here though that will know for sure.

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
Yeap it's a Chief, by the looks of it late 60's.
Thanks! I was googling photos of chiefs, and I found yours before you worked on it. I almost thought it might be an old photo of my boat. The blue paint over the dark red looked identical. I got a several pages into your rebuild thread yesterday. Beautiful job on the boat. Thanks for posting, I'm sure I'll reference it often.

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
One year later and I havent done 1 thing to the boat. Rough winter took out our green house, so we need the covered storage. I did pick up a new turn key project. Its ready to work on! ;)

1970's 16' ss. Hull is solid. It was supposed to be motor ready, but the transom seems a little soft. Obvious attempts at adding wood for strength.. Floor was overlayed from the seats back. front feels a little flexy. Most everything is original but the seats. Top and hardware are gone. Glass is crystal clear. Doesnt seem like its seen saltwater. When I cleaned it out, the yard debris was not of the puget sound variety.

Im motivated to get this done quickly. I pressure washed it as soon as I got home. Inside cleaned up pretty good. Still need to investigate whats going on with the floor. Stains inside of boat said it was holding water at one time. Since that was the case, I put in the bung, and let her fill up a ways. Had some seapers, and a couple slow drips.

I spent Thursday gathering most of what I need to replace the transom. Fortunately there is a west marine 5 minutes from where i work. One stop shopping for the 3m, gluvit, and epoxy.

Definitely going to invest in a nice bimini, and cover. I did a quick Google search and was pretty excited to see that there is a local company that specializes in them. Puget sound canvas. I live out in the sticks, so that was highly unexpected!

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
I'm computer illiterate. I can't figure out how to post photos. No idea how to change photo sizes.

Transom is out. Easier then I anticipated. It wasn't As bad as i thought and got it out in ont piece. Definitely needed replacement. I started cleaning up the aluminum. Corrosion isn't too bad either. Knee brace looks good. Floor is more solid the I thought.

Not sure if this has been discussed. I used i a wet polisher with a 120 grit diamond pad to clean the factory + one layer of po paint off of the transom. Stepped down to 240 in less the an hour. No dust, no stripper, looks pretty darn good! Thinking of taking it down 10 pad stages and leaving polished aluminum.

How do I change the thread title?

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You have to request that a moderator change the title.

just let them know what you want it to say.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Add pics with the “attach files” box. I use a smartphone so it’s very easy

Attachments

• 5857B079-30C6-463F-BFBD-9DFCB7EB81AE.jpeg
    5857B079-30C6-463F-BFBD-9DFCB7EB81AE.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 1

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. I figured that part out, its the size of my photos.

I got the transom board cut and glued together. I tried to do a dry fit and the gap at the top is too narrow on both sides. Its only the top few inches where the factory used scabbed in pieces of wood. Its maybe a 1/4"+ to narrow.

Debating if I should address the wood, or the bracing.

Its seems like it was like that from the factory, but there is no telling. Could be structural damage from running a boat with bad wood?

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I figured that part out, its the size of my photos.

I got the transom board cut and glued together. I tried to do a dry fit and the gap at the top is too narrow on both sides. Its only the top few inches where the factory used scabbed in pieces of wood. Its maybe a 1/4"+ to narrow.

Debating if I should address the wood, or the bracing.

Its seems like it was like that from the factory, but there is no telling. Could be structural damage from running a boat with bad wood?
Do you mean the metal at the top of the gunnel that goes back over the area where the transom slides in? If so, you can bend that up out of the way to get the transom in, then bend it down, it will be hidden by the end caps.

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
Do you mean the metal at the top of the gunnel that goes back over the area where the transom slides in? If so, you can bend that up out of the way to get the transom in, then bend it down, it will be hidden by the end caps.
No, but I did have to bend the gunnels out of the way. Just below that. The width is slightly less then the 1.5" transom, but only the top 3"s or so. Transom slides in, then gets pinched at the sides. Starboard side is worse then port.

I'm going out for a better inspection today. Still can't figure out how to resize my photos. Tried to resize them on Adobe, and even they said too big.

Photos

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, but I did have to bend the gunnels out of the way. Just below that. The width is slightly less then the 1.5" transom, but only the top 3"s or so. Transom slides in, then gets pinched at the sides. Starboard side is worse then port.

I'm going out for a better inspection today. Still can't figure out how to resize my photos. Tried to resize them on Adobe, and even they said too big.

Photos
I just use Paint for resizing, I think the size limit is 1024x768.

Alecapone

Seaman Apprentice
Well... my 'quick' transom replacement has turned into a full blown restoration. One thing led to another. Spent yesterday removing everything from the interior. Glad I did. Foam was soaked and weighed in at 74.3 pounds. The vinyl was 17.9. The two overlayed pieces of decking and soaked carpet where 42, and 36. Thats over 160 lbs of ballast! Also found some mushrooms growing under the deck. Lots of moss.

Fortunatly, the front pieces of decking came out in intact to use as a template. Lots of missing rivets in the old floor, and the stringers. Got it all pressure washed. Today I'm going to do some more clean up and inspect the can of worms I opened.

Interesting trying to figure out what the po did. Obvious they took out the splash well, added wood to the transom and deck. Used 17 different types of screws. :/.

Now my shopping list grows. I thought was going to marine fisheries supply and installing electrical today. More like back to the lumber yard and west marine.

Oh well. Good practice for when I do the next one. ;)