My Starcraft SS 16' project

wheeldriver

Seaman
Re: My Starcraft SS 16' project

Looks like I'm not the only one racing the clock to finish a resto before summer gets here. Lots of projects going on lately. Hope others join in and start a thread to share.

I'm at the point where the interior work is just about done. Still have all the wiring to do and finish getting the steering linked up.

055-1copy_zpsa9f0b49f.jpg

077-1copy_zps69f7a143.jpg

IMG_5422_zpsa3c10962.jpg

I been looking for a motor with tilt and trim from the time I first got this boat. Some places I want to go fishing have miles of shore line and it would be nice to camp out and explore some remote locations. Back in January I came across this 40hp Force on CL, the motors been in storage nearly its entire life with very little use. It looks virtually brand new inside and out. I did some research on these motors and found some people love them and others don't. Those that do like them have told me if you do the maintenance and take care of them they are fine motors. I've had it running a few times now in a tank and she fires right up and idles right down. With luck maybe I got it before someone trashed it. As I said I got it back in January, the temp that day was 17 F. Not a great time to be selling a boat motor, I got it for $500.
IMG_5445_zps9470347d.jpg

Com'on Summer!!

BonairII

Commander

Unfortunately those pedestal bases are only rated for 5 mph. I was going to use them until someone brought that fact to my attention.

wheeldriver

Seaman

Unfortunately those pedestal bases are only rated for 5 mph. I was going to use them until someone brought that fact to my attention.

I'm not worried about it, I see them used a lot on restored boats around here. With the seats removed I'll have plenty of room for the sleeping bags.

dozerII

Admiral

Interior looks real good WD. Hope the nice clean Force works out for you, she won't win any races though.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

I dig the modified console design! Really nice customization! Looks like shakedown is right around the corner!!!

barato2

Commander

your Q on the top coincided with some thinking i was doing this morning. saw a pontoon bimini on local CL, noted that it has no front & rear retaining straps and is undoubtedly more rigid due to rectangular tubing. i was wondering it it would be feasible to cut one of those down and TIG it in the center to make a "strapless" bimini for my boat.....something like this might be a decent starting point for you, esp if you buy one that has toasted covering so you just pay for frame. ??

wheeldriver

Seaman

barato2
Thanks for your input. I've been looking at a few boat tops lately getting some ideas. Few weeks ago I stopped to look at the boat pictured below. It was left on a trailer in a parking lot so I snapped a photo of the top with my cheap cell phone. I wanted to see how strong it was and gave a little side to side pull about mid point up on the aluminum tube. That canopy was absolutely rock solid, it was like part of the boat. One thing I noticed was those 2 tie down straps in the back were very very tight, both pulling down and back on the canopy. The straps don't go to far back in the boat and I think its something I could live with. Of all the ones I've looked at I'm most impressed with this simple design and most likely build something similar.

canopySS_zps096b94f2.jpg

barato2

Commander

that's commonly how factory tops are done....the one on my Starchief looks very similar. i like the way this one comes down on the sides....you'd be surprised how much low angle sun gets under a bimini, and i bet windblown rain does the same, for those who fish where there's rain.

wheeldriver

Seaman

I also like how its low on the sides. I'm going to make mine about 2-3"s lower then shown. No need for me to see any birds flying over. Have some clear vinyl on order to make some side windows, for those days when its raining sideways.

On the subject of adding extra storage space. While at walmart I came across some nice totes that have some nice features. What caught my eye at first was they have a really nice secure locking lid system. The handle flips over the top of the lid and snaps into position. It would be nearly impossible at any speed on the water or on the trailer for the lid to come off. The size shown below is a 19 gallon (76 quart), it measures 25.75L x 18.37W x 13.25H. The lid has a lot of over hang on the sides that would allow rain water to drip down the sides and not in the tote.

Pros:
Locking lid.
Rain proof (In theory).
Strength medium duty, Handle just about anything but a anchor.
Made in the USA
Cost, $8.95 ea US.

Cons:
No UV protection. Being it will only be exposed while in use should last a few seasons.

IMG_5411-22_zps0a5542f7.jpg

044-1copy_zpsd21e3b83.jpg

I added a release buckle to the strap, makes it a little easier to secure and unhook vs fumbling under the gunwale. You could use a bungee cord but I find those things like to continue to stretch when holding a lot of weight. You can see how the locking lid system works here too.

IMG_5413_zpsf8625066.jpg

barato2

Commander

nice work! another idea i may have to steal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those are really nice bins. What's the brand on 'em? My boat gets loaded up a lot on the trailer for when we take it camping so I also may steal your idea.

wheeldriver

Seaman

The manufacture is Sterilite. When researching about UV I came across a forum talking about the material. Someone wrote to Sterilite and got the following answer:

?Thank you for contacting Sterilite. Our products are made of polypropylene plastic, which is a food safe material. The polypropylene used in our containers meets FDA requirements in the Code of Federal Regulations for all food contact excluding actual cooking applications. No Latex, BPAs (bisphenol A), PVCs, Teflon, or other stain resistant chemicals are used in our manufacturing process. Sterilite does not use any harmful materials in the production of our products?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hmm, I'll have to check them out. My only issue is that experience with Sterilite is that they crack.

BonairII

Commander

Hmm, I'll have to check them out. My only issue is that experience with Sterilite is that they crack.

Yup...I have a few of them in my garage. They are def a bit fragile IMO.

wheeldriver

Seaman
Hey everyone, I never did post any pics of this project hitting the water last year 2013. Better late then never I guess. I've been in the shadows here enjoying everyones projects, thought I better give something back. I've added a few upgrades sense last time here.

The canopy I built has worked out really well. The tubing is 3/4 inch EMT/conduit. I went with conduit because well its cheap, won't rust, stronger then aluminum, easy to bend with a conduit bender and did I mention cheap. Removing one set of pins it will fold directly on top of the windshield, removing the other set of pins it will fold down on top of the splashwell. When set up you can grab the tubing up near the fabric and rock the boat, the frame wont flex at all. At first I was a little worried about it being set up during some big storms, but it's unaffected by it so I leave it up all the time.

The Mercury/Force has been trouble free for two years now, starts on the first turn of the key. The only problem is it thinks I own a gas station somewhere. So I wrote to Santa, I asked him for a 4 stroke for next season, fingers crossed. Found a nice little 6hp Johnson kicker motor with a longshaft. These are sweet little motors.

The raised consoles have worked out well, especially for trolling. I'm able to get up and tend to the rods very easily, it's also a plus to spin around in the seat without banging my knee into the wheel.

I owe a special thanks to iboats member FlyBoyMark, don't know if he still visits the boards here or not. He shared his extensive experience using stainless steel truss head screws in replacing leaking rivets and they have worked out great. Heres the link http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...rivet?t=163745. Post 8 and 10
This is now my boats second summer, it remains in the water for 3-4 months each year and the bilge pump area is always dry, nothing but dust, gotta love that. Thanks Mark.

To all those currently restoring and getting dirty working on your boat, all I can say is hang in there! its well worth it!

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Thanks for stoppin' by and updating us dock monkeys wheel!!! :) I always liked what you did with raising the windshields! In addition...you'd never know the bimini frame is hand made...really slick work on it!

wheeldriver

Seaman
Thanks BlueFin, I tried to make it as professional looking as possible, I did my best at avoiding the use of duct tape. I've never heard the term dock monkey before, I like it!. I will for sure be using it on some boating friends.

Heres some pic's of where the tubing intersect. I found that just putting a bolt through both tubes won't allow for adjustment, you can't pull the fabric tight, or if the fabric shrinks it would make setting up a little tough. I machined out something that with the center bolt loose the back tube can be pulled back and re-tightened keeping the fabric tight. A simpler way would have been to use a adjustable sliding track that many bimini tops use that mount on top of the gunwale. But that would have taken the fun out of getting to make something.

This photo maybe helpful to anyone that is thinking of making a canopy or bimini top. It's how I went about problem solving in putting the canopy together, it likely helped in preventing a huge scrape pile of failed attempts and wasted material. The wood is some inexpensive 1x2's, along with a few wood screws and some string.

Tight lines everyone

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
She looks great and I see you're from WA State. Since you're out of lurk mode, pin yourself on the SC members map in the SC forum sticky section.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Mercury/Force has been trouble free for two years now, starts on the first turn of the key. The only problem is it thinks I own a gas station somewhere. So I wrote to Santa, I asked him for a 4 stroke for next season, fingers crossed.
Fuel economy is probably the biggest negative on Force engines.

Remember, 4 stroke engine are physically larger and weigh a lot more than the corresponding 2 stroke. Yamaha F50 weighs 249 lbs. F70 weighs 257 lbs. F90 weighs 366 lbs.