My Starcraft Sprint V-15 rebuild

amhorach

Cadet
This weekend I'm about to begin my rebuild. I'm going to call it a rebuilt instead of a restoration because I'm trying to build a fun and reliable boat that works, not a 100% period correct and factory accurate restoration.

I picked the boat up as a completely stripped hull. No floor, no wiring, nothing.The boat is a 1968 Sprint V 15, I suspect it is a model year 1968 based on the serial number (68-6649). I bought it from somebody who bought it from somebody in Virginia. It is wearing a Virginia ID, VA 5380 L, but will have an NC ID soon.

Pictures:

Manufacturer's tag is still there and in good shape.

Lots of bare metal.

The splash guard is huge. HUGE.

The paint is desquaminating all over. I don't care all that much how it looks, but I know the best time to paint it is while it is stripped. It is a dilemma

amhorach

Cadet
Re: My Starcraft Sprint V-15 rebuild

The first order of business is going to be getting a floor in there. I'm going to use 3/4 exterior plywood and seal it with... something. I have a few gallons of polyurethane floor finish that I was thinking of using.

I'm not sure if I am going to leave it a completely closed bow or not. I picked up a fiberglass donor boat for the steering gear, cleats, windshield, rod holders, bow light, etc. a 2nd windshield for it, and both of the windshields are walk through models. If i could get the closed bow sturdy enough to support me (about 200 pounds) standing on it and holding an anchor, I'll keep it closed. I'm not sure how to do that without having to weld in some supports.

Edit: the walk through hatch idea is nice:
lshatch.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I do believe that Sprint will be a fun boat to restore, cool!

Hardly any of the guys around here actually bring them back to original. Just about everybody has their own spin on what a fun usable boat looks like for their use, so, have at it!

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a nice hull. Have fun with your rebuild.

I would think that once you have the floor in, you should be able to brace the closed bow up to support you weight without welding. Just a thought. I have never done it, but from the picture it looks like it could be done. I'm sure someone on here has done it.

amhorach

Cadet

I've not made a lot of progress on the boat directly.

I have picked up two junk glass boats to try and salvage a steering and throttle setup. Both of them came with trailers, so I'll be picking the best of the lot and using it. One of them also came with a 1975 Johnson 65hp that isn't frozen and "ran last year, maybe." I'll be tinkering with that at some point in time, but I've not got my hopes up too night. It's also missing the tilt or trim control thing. I don't know much about outboards, yet.

I am hoping to start the floor this weekend. I said that a few weeks ago, I know, but car repairs got in the way. Wish me luck!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Good Luck! Anything to add to a completed usable boat counts as progress as far as I'm concerned.

amhorach

Cadet

This just in: pool noodles, $1 each at the dollar tree.

I'm going to go and pick up 100 or so.

amhorach

Cadet

In other pictures of Starcraft restorations, I am noticing that there are cross members that go horizontally over the stringers, like those in this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=431348

014by.jpg

I don't have those. They don't LOOK like they are structural0 they look pretty thin, but at the same time I figure they wouldn't be there if they were not doing a job. I was wondering if somebody could provide me the dimensions or at least an idea if using another material would work.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice project. Those strips serve to hold the edges of the plywood to each other, so that they will help to support each other. If I remember right, they were maybe 2" wide, 1/16" thick or so. Being that thin, they don't bump up they panels where they cross the stringers. You can probably get aluminum flat stock at Lowes or Home Depot, but a metals supplier might be cheaper. Have fun with your project!

amhorach

Cadet

I brought a 50 HP Mercury outboard (date unknown) down to the local shop to have a compression test done. If that works out alright, I'm going to have a comprehensive maintenance done to it.

I've also decided to keep the boat yellow. I'm going to hit it with the wire brush and get the Gluvit ready.

amhorach

Cadet

This project when nowhere due to other, more pressing things like fixing my roof and car. I think it is time to sell it to somebody who can appreciate this old boat and walk away. I learned a ton of stuff here and some of the restorations I've seen make me sad that it has come to this.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

too bad but i'm sure someone here will buy it and make you proud you sent her to a good home.