My rapido longblock (pics)

erikgreen

Captain
After reading good things about them on this board for a while, I decided to purchase a replacement engine from Rapido Marine in Florida.

I had asked them some questions beforehand about what I needed/wanted, and although email response was slow I did get my questions answered, and a phone number to call them at, which I used when I wanted to order. It turned out to be Raul's (the owner's) desk number.

I had a good conversation with him and he asked me questions to make sure I got a motor type that would work. I also asked him what I could do to add a few HP over the standard chevy 5.7.. he suggested a performance cam and springs for $185, which seemed cheap to me so I went with it.

It arrived about a week and a half later, driven out by a very polite carrier company who was nice enough to delay for me when I had to make a trip to urgent care about the time I was originally supposed to meet them (I messed up my back working on a trailer).

Here are pics of the motor as it arrived. I'm going to point out a couple of things I noticed first, but I otherwise will include general pics here.

I'll also update this thread later with assembly and installation pics, and no doubt post some questions in other threads about the motor. I intend this thread as information for those of you who may need engines in the future.

First off, I ordered from Rapido a 1983 compatible chevy 350 marine long block with performance camshaft and springs, which is going to go into a 1983 Sea Ray SRV-210CC that had a block the PO didn't winterize. I'm going to use the bolt-ons from the other motor (tin, starter, carb) where I can, and I've ordered some new parts too.

The first couple of pics show some wear in the engine - this is after all a remanufactured block, and I'm pretty sure they're just cosmetic. The rest of the pics are informational. Enjoy, and I'm sorry for my slow connection

Erik

PS: The motor included a new oil pump and a complete gasket set from Fel-Pro (not pictured)
P9042577.JPG

P9042576.JPG

P9042561.JPG

P9042564.JPG

P9042571.JPG

P9042578.JPG

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My rapido longblock (pics)

That intake port s scary as hell!!!

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks nice, for the price you can't go wrong. Don't worry about the water ports, nothing major.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I realized my mistake after I reexamined the pic, just freaked when I first saw it.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

I am also in contact with Raul..........

I am asking him to put together a 5.7L 1pc rear main seal with Vortec heads and a roller cam.........he is willing to work with you that is for sure.

I am defintely interested in how it runs.............are the rockers pre-adjusted or do you think you will need to adjust them?

KaGee

Admiral

If those are the normal lifters and rockers, they do need adjusted.

Looks to be in the same condition as the motor I got.

erikgreen

Captain

I was hoping they came pre-adjusted, but they look "assembled". I'm just going to run through the standard adjustment procedure out of the book (carefully this time :)) to take out the lash.

More pics as assembly progresses - I expect to get a lot done on it this week and weekend, possibly even as far as getting it into the boat, although getting it done right comes before getting it done fast. I have a lot of help coming this weekend since I messed up my back working on the trailer.

Erik

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks great, you will be boating in no time:) remember to clean out that bilge really good before you drop in the motor, its alot easier now

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

For $13 you can install a lifter valley oil baffle to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake manifold.

KaGee

Admiral

How can you tell??:confused:

Experience... either Raul told me or it was somewhere on his website. Remember the SBC procedure for the hydraulic lifter, non roller valve adjustment...

Bring the cylinder to TDC, twist the valve stem back and forth between your fingers and tighten down on the rocker nut just until you can no longer twist the valve, then add 1 turn to the nut.

Or you can do the BONDO method, do the above and fine tune by ear, running the motor, making an oil mess everywhere! :p:D

KaGee

Admiral

For $13 you can install a lifter valley oil baffle to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake manifold.

I think that was something I swapped from the old motor... don't remember now. :redface:

John_S

Rear Admiral

For $10 you can get the rocker arm clips to prevent the mess.

The spinning pushrod method can be troublesome. Easy to end up over tightening.

The Merc procedure states: Loosen adjusting nut until lash is felt at push rod, and then tighten adjusting nut until all lash is removed. Lash can be checked by moving push rod up and down while tightening adjusting nut until all play is removed.

Up and down is a big difference from spinning pushrod. This spring, when I did the head change, I found myself overtightening via the spinning pushrod. Reread the manual, and picked up the distinction.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I'm definitely with john on this one: the spinning method is incorrect and will most likely result in overtightening. You have to feel for lash by moving the pushrod up and down, get it to zero lash and then go 3/4 turn, not 1 turn.
--
Stan

John_S

Rear Admiral

While I've see 1/2 to 3/4 turn for cars, Merc calls out: Hydraulic lifters can be adjusted by tightening adjustment nut an additional one turn (360 degrees). No other adjustment is required.

I went with what Merc said.

Rapido Marine

Banned
Re: My rapido longblock valve adjustment

Re: My rapido longblock valve adjustment

We do adjust valves here but when your lifters get charged with oil , they all change a bit differently. I would do a final adjustment after the first time out so they are fully charged. The adjustment is done by running engine at idle and loosen each rocker one at a time until it flickers or taps then tighten until it stops taping, then take it between 1/4, and1/2 turn more on all valves. thanks and good luck to all of you.. Feel free to call me...Raulll (owner)
786-663-3278 RUN-663-FAST