my new project (nightmare)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: my new project (nightmare)

If you decide to cancel the project, keep the trailer because there are lots of project boats that do not come with trailers (imagine that!).

Then disassemble the motor so salvageable parts can be sold on e-bay. I think the lower unit and various parts from the powerhead could be salvaged like flywheel, head(s), etc.

You really need to do a project plan and list all the parts needed, the supplier(s) and the cost. My guess is you will spend $4000 just on steering, wire, gauges, fuel tank(s), fuel lines, battery, bilge pump, seats, controls, carpet, deck hardware, epoxy, fiberglass, resin, paint, etc, etc, etc.

Then add the cost of a power plant.

Then add the cost of PFD's, and all the goodies need out "outfit" the boat (boat hook, anchor, lines, fenders, etc, etc, etc - - - ) Another $600 easy.

I'm not saying to can the project, but a good project starts with a good plan. A few years ago I set myself a budget of $5000 to do my project. I probably over ran the budget by a few hundred by the time it was on the water. The second and third years added more stuff and more expense -- More gauges, permanent fuel tank, convertable top, fuel/water filter, etc. -- More $$$$.

So plan, plan and plan somemore. Because that is a neat looking boat, and Cobia has a good rep, but it could also end up being an expensive project.

Good luck and keep posting!

EDIT:

BTW, how do you boat on the Ramapo River? Is there a public launch site? Is it deep enough?

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the eye-opener guys. It seems I have a lot more to consider with this boat. After reading your posts yesterday I was having serious doubts about holding onto this boat. But when I came home and saw her in the driveway the doubts went away (violin solo, lol). I can see why some of you guys spend the time and money restoring your boats. Economics can never prevail when it comes to this. and you guys know this.

Now, in my defense, one can still look at it from the perspective that the money I put into the boat will be what the boat is costing me. Remember, she was free. So if during the course of the rebuild I shell out $5 to 10k, thats what the boat costs me. In my mind thats better than buying a used boat from someone and having unexpected issues arrive later. Also, going this route is more economically feasable for me in that I'm not shelling out an arm and a leg in one shot but rather little by litttle. Getting her up and running safely is first priority. Comfort and looks is secondary and can wait.

Mark, you bring up a good point on generating a project plan before diving into this. I noticed on your rebuild that you purchased a rebuilt engine; any additional details on this?

Ohh, as for the Ramapo river, there are sections around Oakland where you can boat. The Place where I got the boat was right next to the river. The previous owner's house was right next to the river. getting to the river was just a walk through the yard. Pretty nice setup til the river floods.

crunch

Commander

One persons nightmare can be an others dream... as long as your eyes are open, I say go with it, knock yourself out, and enjoy.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Buying a rebuilt outboard is a good way to save money over a new one. But buying used is probably the most economical. I liked the rebuild because of the one year warranty and everything was tested and ready to go.

Next time I buy an outboard, I will probably buy a rebuilt again.

The reason I didn't buy a used outboard was because I didn't want someone elses problem, I was new to boating and was not sure how to go about buying a used outboard (without getting ripped off), and wanted a power plant that I could just bolt on and go.

Regarding how much you spend on the boat, just remember that you will (most likely) never get your investment back if you sell the boat. But as long as you get your "enjoyments" worth out of the project and by using the boat, then it was worth your time and money.

Another thing to keep in mind is insurance. If you trailer the boat, a stated value cost of replacement policy with good coverage for liability will only cost a hundred or so a year from your home/auto insurance company. Keep all receipts, and when done take photos of the beautiful boat on the trailer and submit to insurance company. If you claim it is worth $6000, and looks like $6000, then you will probably get the coverage you want. Small price to pay to cover your investment.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

You go boy !!! LOL You have your heart set on this boat I can tell. Well just take all this advice chew it up and give it some thought. I myself just had a baby and understand your time delema (could not imagine twins LOL) Just remember the only thing that that boat offers is a shell. I must agree tackling that engine is a looseing proposition. Lower end maybe, head flywheel etc, and the sucjh maybe. There are enough used outboards out there, maybe put your efforts into the boat and just get a good reliable used moter. Just a thought does not sound like we are gonna talk you out of this boat LOL Good luck I am really looking forward to seeing your progress. fyi I am a Fire Fighter in Trenton, was just curious where you were from thanks for the info!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

If practical buy a rebuilt engine that is of a close year and same hp as the sunken one. Some stuff may be salvageable off the old one. (prop, certain gaskets, etc.) Interchangeable parts make things easy.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go for it. did a 18' last year as a project, went out in it twice, then got a offer i couldn't refuse. cobias jave always been great handling boats. i had 3 the first a '69 the last a 71' the 71' looked worse than yours, and may as well have been submerged. i agree on the engine, part it out. original style back to back seats are available on ebay, and the back jump seats. i've used them in 3 projects.

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for your responses. I'll be sure to post pics on my progress as well as post any questions or issues I may come across. Its good to know this message board exists. Its even better knowing its members are as helpful as you guys are. The wealth of information to be gathered from boards like these is priceless to newbs like me. Many thanks in advance!!!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

If practical buy a rebuilt engine that is of a close year and same hp as the sunken one. Some stuff may be salvageable off the old one. (prop, certain gaskets, etc.) Interchangeable parts make things easy.
Danged old smiley. Always pops up unintentionally.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Clio,

I've been reading along here and want to add something about the motor you have.

Sure it's probably beyond redemption...and the best value you can derive from it is to salvage those remaining parts for sale on e-bay or for use on another similiar engine you purchase...but..for me there would be another great bonus there...

You get the experience of taking apart an engine....learn from that! If I were you I would dissasemble it as if you were going to re-build it. Get a manual... take notes as if you were going to re-assemble it some day. You never know...the condition of the block may surprise you.....maybe it is salvagable. Most likely not a chance....but you gain the experience of working on that engine with very little if anything to loose.

Then, after you purchase a similiar engine...you will have not only the reserve of "extra parts" but also the working knowledge of how that engine is assembled and adjusted.

I don't know about you...but I can read manuals all day...and even read advice here...but until I actually get the wrenches out and delve into it first hand...I sometimes never quite "get it" . AFter that; it's easy.

Anyway.....keep all of us posted as to what happens over time. Have fun...and thanks for reading.

Chuck