my new project (nightmare)

CILO

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

After trolling through this message board for a while I've built up enough mental confidence to take on a minor restoration. Being that the case, an opportunity of a lifetime had presented itself that I couldnt pass down. earlier this summer i came across a craiglist add for a boat. the owner was giving the boat away to anyone willing to take it. Upon emailing him and asking about the boat the guy tells me it had sunk and been underwater for several months in the Ramapo river (nj) ( No wonder it was free, lolol). The sinking was due to a bilge pump running out of juice. Since the boat was not too far from my job I told the guy I'd like to take a look at it. He told me he'd pull the boat out of the water for me to take a look at it and decide if I want to take it off his hands. I agreed and the next day I went off to see the boat.
Now let me tell you, I was not expecting what I saw or smelled. The amount of soot, crud, and other things in that boat were enough to send anybody running for the hills. Stangely enough though I saw somthing more beyond that, potential. Well I thought I'd share with you guys nightmare I got myself into (As my wife puts it).

Once i figure out how to post pics I'll show you what I have in store for me

CILO

Seaman Apprentice
Re: my new project (nightmare)

here she is

Attachments

• wildfire1.JPG
    49 bytes · Views: 0
  • wildfire2.JPG
  • wildfire3.JPG

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pics, pics, like to see some pics!!

kbetts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't see anything with those attachments.

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

here's some pics after taking out the crud inside and cleaning her off a bit. In order to get clean off the hull I had to resort to using brillo pads and a cocktail of chemicals. not the orthodox thing to do but it got the job done

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

here's some pics after taking out the crud inside and cleaning her off a bit. In order to get clean off the hull I had to resort to using brillo pads and a cocktail of chemicals. not the orthodox thing to do but it got the job done

Attachments

• wildfireclean2.JPG

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like you may need to upload your pictures to a place like <a href="http://www.photobucket.com">photobucket</a>, and then link to them from your posts using the icon that looks like a mountain+sun.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

I must say,,,,, I have never dicouraged a well intentioned project BUT....... Unless you plan on stripping that boat out..gutting the stringers, taking that engine and lighting it on fire, and maybe maybe then would I consider checking it out for a rebuild. You definatly have your hands full. Is it worth the money and time? I do not want to discourage you, just take your time and don't get yourself in the overhaul pit to deep!

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your words of encouragement Tiller, lol.

I never looked at this as an easy project and by no means did I consider this something that will be done by the end of winter. My main concern is going to be the engine. Since I plan to tear into it I'm not sure what I'll find in it and what needs to be replaced. That, for sure, will make or break this project.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Well good luck to you. Please keep the updates and pictures coming.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Believe me when I tell you it is a really nice boat as far as the lines and size....Cobia in my mind has always been a great boat. If you have the time and the energy (and the money) it will be a very nice boat. I wish you the best and happy grinding, scrubing, disassembling, etc LOL I look forward to your updates....by the way where abouts in Jersey are you?

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was the engine submerged? If so salt or fresh water???

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks tiller. If it wasnt for the lack of "personal time" I would have started gutting long before. Unfortunately, with a recently acquired set of twins and a house that's still in the renovation process, time is definitely a luxury I can barely afford. All in all though I still think this boat's worth it. Its just gonna take some time to get there. As for the money part, while it wont be cheap, I doubt it wont be more than a comparable boat and since I plan to do the work myself, I'll be saving quite a bit.

I'm up in the N/E area of Jersey by the way

CILO

Seaman Apprentice

freshwater, had it been salt, I wouldn't have even considered it

Paul Moir

Admiral

The engine is dead. Doesn't matter if it's salt or fresh water. You need new bearings/crankshaft/rods/reeds/rebuild (pistons, rings, machine shop)/etc$ etc$. Better to find a used powerhead or a rebuilt one than try to bring back the one you have. You may get lucky on the ignition and charging electrics, but the starter/solenoid/tilt-trim electrics are gone.

Safe to assume all boat-side electrics are gone as well.

And really, that's an optimistic look at things. There may be other troubles such as steering/tilt/trim, etc.

BF

Lieutenant

ditto, I think the engine is a "do not resuscitate"... on the plus side, the prop could be sold, and if the lower unit seals are OK, (if you pull the drain and it's gear oil in there, not water or milkshakey) then it's probably alright and could be sold too for a least a few hundred bucks I'd think.

Did you get the trailer for free too? It's worth something too. Up here it'd go for $500+

Not to sound negative, but given that you sound like a busy guy (twins and a house project etc etc), you might consider selling off anything of value from this rig and putting the cash (plus a bit more) into a used rig that is useable, or that at least needs less work. Now that the fall is here, there are deals around. Those kiddies get big fast, so I wouldn't want you to miss out on all the fun stuff in their first year. Your wife might not even mind the idea! ;)