My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft - UPDATED with pics!

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft - UPDATED with pics!

Just go buy a quality variable speed buffer and a gallon jug of Mcguires oxidation remover, you can make that gelcoat look like new again.
But first buy that boat already!!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Well, my wife and I went to look at it yesterday. She is not sold on it yet buy I am hoping that she will keep and open mind about it.

The nice thing is that they aren't advertising the boat yet so I have a little time to make an educated decision and throughly check it out. This will also give my wife a chance to warm up to the idea too.

Still hoping to give them a deposit in the next couple of weeks and then finish the transacation early spring next year!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a real nice looking boat. Looks like it would handle big water really well. I do hate the gauge cluster though :p Appears to have been well cared for.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a great boat, Brandon.
Being new at boating and not know squat.:)
I do know that my boat runs very smooth on the water and good get up and go.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Brandon-what are you waiting for??? --come on and join the club- you can check out but never leave...
just kiddin.
Joe

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hoping to settle on the specfics of the deal next week. Just waiting for this rain to quit so that I can check it out one more time!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Find water, sea trial her and take her home... She looks great and yes, she will ride alot better than your Four Winns...

jkust

Rear Admiral

That dry weight is very light for that loa and beam. I would bet that engine would push it very close to 55 gps lightly loaded. That interior is amazing for an 87. I recall those same style guages in the Bayliner Cobras of that vintage and thought they were the coolest thing back then. Regardless of how nice the rest of the interior is, the center cap on the stearing wheel would show wear if it wasn't really maintained well. We have a 1984 bowrider we bought new and have absolutly babied but the center cap on the Dino stearing wheel is sun baked though everything else is still like new. Point is that is a nice boat.

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Brandon,
Here are a few befre and after pics of mine. Still have a lot of work to do, but its come a long way. PLan on starting on the interior soon.
before:
DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

here are a couple shots after a lot of buffing and waxing:

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

heres the before and after of the teak swim platform

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

last but not least the IP. its really dirty in these pics, soory but you get the idea
DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So did you make any decision on the boat yet Brandon? Curious to know if you were able to work out the deal the way you wanted.

yoyins69

Cadet

by the wellcraft they are fast boats very s mood on bad weather and mine has a 5.7 mercruzer whit a 280 volvo penta and I live in Puerto Rico and smoe times the waves coming out of sanjuan are very big so if you do not have the power to move out off that area you are fuc!@:D so get the wellcraft you will love it

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brandon,
If you think my boat would be close in performance to the boat you are looking at, you are more than welcome to try mine out this weekend.
We can get the wife on to see how nice the ride is. If she still can't make up her mind when she is stepping from my boat to yours we can each hold a hand and leg make her make her mind up.:D
Mine doesn't look near as good as that one though. She will have to keep her eyes closed. I haven't done anything cosmetic yet.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Sorry guys, I was on vacation this past week! It is amazing how much you miss in one week. ;)

Jim - WOW!!!! Thanks for posting the before and after pics. That looks amazing. How much time and money would you estimate you put into it to get it back into that condition, if you don't mind my asking.

John - Thanks for the offer and sorry that it didn't work out this time. Hopefully by the time we finally meet, she will be mine. I did get to ride in Scotts wellcraft this weekend and it was exactly what I was expecting.

The update - Boat is winterized so I am going to make an offer and put a deposit down this week until we can water test early spring. Thanks for all the opinions everyone! I will let you know what happens!

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft - UPDATED finally took a test ride!!

Well, I finally got to test the boat out today. Here is the update.
I went out with my mom and dad for about 3 hours today. We know the owners so they said pick it and have fun, they didn?t care if they want along or not.

This gave me a great opportunity to thoroughly test out the boat which I did. We were out for about 3 hours and covered about 57 miles or so. I had the opportunity to run the boat through smooth water, choppy water and rough water. All of which the boat handled well. We got banged around some in the rougher water, but the boat didn?t miss a beat. You can tell that Wellcraft built a very solid boat. Even though we were getting banged around a little bit, nothing on the boat was. After we retrieved the boat, I thoroughly checked it over again and could not find any loose fasteners, etc.

The acceleration seems to be better than my Four Winns which I was pleased about. Top speed of the day was around 48 mph which didn?t seem bad at all under the conditions. This was with 3 people, a normal load of toys and safety equipment and around 40 gallons of gas. However, this was not verified with GPS as I forgot to grab it. But I believe the speedometer was fairly close as it was moving faster than my Four Winns ever has. (It sure felt that way to me anyway.)

With covering the almost 60 miles, I believe that I burned around 10 gallons of gas which I thought seemed reasonable. No worse than what I am used to anyway. Even if I burned more than that, I am still pleased with the range of the boat.

The one thing that I probably liked the most about the boat was how it sat in the water. It has considerably more freeboard than the Four Winns. I didn?t worry about taking water over the bow or telling my parents that they couldn?t both sit up front because it lowered the boat too much. The boat also had plenty of rails and handles to hold on too as well. This would be very helpful for taking younger people out.

Over all, I was very pleased with the results and would really like to purchase the boat. Now my wife and I need to talk about it as she was unfortunately not able to make it out on the boat with us today. Hopefully we can make a decision and take care of everything this coming week!

Now, here is what you have been waiting for, the pictures!

BowShot.jpg

StarboardShot.jpg

PortSide.jpg

TransomShot.jpg

Docked.jpg

If you have any thoughts on the subject, please let me know! Thanks for all the help everyone!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a real nice boat. I'd go for it.

skargo

Banned

Brandon,
when I saw you in the boat today, it looked like you belonged on it. If it checks out for you, do it!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good to me. Go for it.
But i think you should put new seats in and donate the old ones to me.:D

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

after reading this whole thread, if you dont buy that boat we are going to kick you out of the club:D

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

good looking boat- it "Looks Right" --Classic Lines --no B.S.--Strudy.
come on and be in the "Cool Guy Wellcraft Owner's Club":cool: