My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft - UPDATED with pics!

skargo

Banned
Re: My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft

X 2:cool:
people come up all the time to tell me how cool they think my old boat is.;)
Joe

Same here, on the water and on the road when I'm trailering it, people have offered to buy it a few times too!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Nope. The one I am looking at has the back to back seats for both passenger and driver. It also has the motor cover with 2 bucket seats beside it.

The bow and transom are the same though!

It also has those "automotive style" gauges. The gauges are not individual, they are a cluster like in your vehicle, if that makes any sense. What do you guys think about that? Like it or hate? Pros or Cons about that setup?

They are also going to include:
anchor and rode
bunch of nice life vests (around 7 or 8)
2 knee boards
3 sets of water skis
2 tubes
Tow ropes for everything
Bimini Top
Trailerable cover

The setup sits on a dual axle trailer. I think that it is a roller trailer. Hoping to check it out on Sunday!

They are only asking $3K for everything.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I imagine it looks nicer but if one fails then it would be a PITA to find a replacement that isnt really expensive.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

yup, what insanity said...I had an 87 180 classic with the analog dash components....the tach shorted out so I was stuck....sold the boat before I did it but I had the plan all laid out for a set of new gauges and a piece of black plexi to replace...if yours is anything like mine it would have been a simple change over as the dash panel was just held on with screws around the perimeter.....I wouldnt consider it a deal breaker though.

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Jim - Glad to see that someone else has the same boat I am looking at. Can you give me any more details about the boat?

What do you like and dislike about it.

Especially, what kind of water have you been in and how has it handled it.

Do you find that it has enough room for 7 people on occassion?

How is the hole shot for watersports?

Any idea what the top speed and cruising speed is?

Thanks for all the help guys. I will snap some pics when I get a chance to check it out.

Hey, so far I really like the boat. As I said before this is my first boat, I just got it about 2 months ago and I have only had it out about 6 times. When I bought it it had a cracked block so I put a new long block in it. I have mainly had it on a couple of lakes nearby and Ive had it on the Ohio river a couple times. It has handled very well in my opinion. I have had six people in it pretty comfortably so I dont think 7 on occasion would be bad. Keep in mind mine has the captains chairs with the bench in the back. I have pulled a tube with it and it pulls it well. (let me restate Im not super experienced) It is a new engine and I havent pushed it real hard but I have had it at 50 per GPS briefly and it had a little more left. It cruises nicely around 26-30 at around 3000 rpm. I am running a 21p stainless prop. So far as the gauge cluster goes it was jacked up when I got it. the needles got stuck and it was generally hard to read. I removed the entire cluster and replaced it with a new set of Faria marine gauges mounted in a piece of black lexan to match the glove compartment lid. It looks pretty factory actually. I ll post some pics this weekend.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I would like to see those pics as I was considering doing this to the guage cluster too. Of course that depends if I get it.

I plan on doing a very through inspection of it sometime on Saturday afternoon!

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Love those automotive style instrument clusters, the retrofit with some nice gauges sounds sweet also.
Good luck with the boat, has it been determined to be a three fitty engine yet ? :D

My ideal boat would be a mid 90's Four Winns with an automotive style instrument cluster and a 5.8 EFI Cobra. :cool:

Blue Crabber

Ensign

First, this is a long post, sorry! But I really appreciate everyones feedback!

Alright, finally got a chance to check out the boat today! Attached are some pictures and a link to the rest of them. Here is what I found.

Boat is a Wellcraft 1987 200 classic. I originally thought it was a 1988. Manufactured in April of 1987 according to a quick HIN search.

Here are the correct specs of the boat:

SpecsfromWellcraft.jpg

HIN: WELT0338D787
Engine: 305 V8 (Couldn?t read the serial number off of it.)
Horsepower: 200 (I believe this to be the crankshaft horsepower, not at the prop?)
Outdrive: Alpha One. S/N# OB710907

The boat sits on a Load Rite galvanized dual axle roller trailer with 10? surge brakes on the first axle.

Model # 113700E
GVWR: 4850lbs
Dico Model 60 master cylinder for the surge brakes.

I crawled all over the boat for about and hour checking everything out and ran the engine on the muffs. It sounded very smooth and started right up.

Here is what I noticed:

Boat was very well taken care of. Everything seemed very solid. Tapped all over the transom and couldn?t find any sign of rotten wood. I jumped up and down on the swim platform, also very strong with no signs of rot in the transom. Floor seemed to be very solid as well. Huge ski locker that was dry and solid as well. The teak swim platform was very weathered and needs some TLC. The port stern corner was banged against something and was repaired with what appears to be marine tex. Not a pretty repair, but it is above the water line.

Seats had some mildew on them. It was not like this when I saw the boat back in March. Evidently the cover had started to allow moisture to seep through. How hard would this be to clean off, giving that it has been on there for about 6 months or less?

Trailer looks to be in good shape. All 4 tires show no signs of wear or dry rot. All have very good tread left on them. Rollers all appear to be in good shape as does the winch and winch stand. The winch is cable though, so that would be upgraded to strap! Trailer axles have the feature with the grease zerk on the end of the spindle. Supposedly grease get pumped through the shaft and enters into the back of the hub. Anybody have any experience with these? Good or bad?

The boat was purchased new by a gentleman in North East, MD. He owned it for about 5 years and kept it at Anchor Marine in their high and dry storage. The current owners bought it off of them and have had it ever since. They have kept in at Long Level Marina during the summer and stored in a barn over the winter.

The boat has not been used in the last 2 years, but it was run on the muffs a few times each year and then winterized at the end of the season. The owners have ALL the original paperwork that came with the boat plus ALL receipts and records of the work that was down to it while they owned it. All maintenance has been done to this boat.

Performance as stated from the owner.
He said that in perfect conditions with just him onboard, he has hit 55 mph. with 4 to 6 people onboard and a full tank of fuel, it will still easily hit the low 40s. Cruises very easily at 30 mph. Planes very fast even while pulling 3 water skiers.

Included with the sale:
Boat
Trailer with spare tire
2 anchors with rode. (No chain)
1 tube with rope
2 sets of waterskis
2 kneeboads
Tow ropes for toys
A few lifejackets

Review and recap of questions:

Will the difference of weight make much of a difference? This boat weighs 260lbs less than originally thought. I am still looking for a smoother and dryer ride than my Four Winns.

Trailer wheel grease zerks, good or bad?

Mildew on seats, will it clean off easily and what should we use?

Does this performance sound right for a 200 HP V8 2 barrel carbureted engine?

How hard is it to restore a teak swim platform?

Is the Alpha One Outdrive a Generation 1 or 2. Pros or Cons?

Price: I was told to make an offer. Any thoughts? I am thinking of offering $2500, just below NADA values.

The plan:
Do some more research and get feed back from you guys! ;)
Show the boat to my wife and see what she thinks.
If she is ok with it, put a deposit down on it to hold it until the spring.
Over the winter, clean my boat up and get it ready for sale in the spring.
In the spring take it for a through test run. If all checks out, get a mechanic to look over it. Then finalize the transaction and enjoy the new boat!

Please post your thoughts!

Finally, the pics!

Link to all of them:
http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu4/bcmeshey/1987 Wellcraft 200 Classic/

1010091202.jpg

1010091203a.jpg

1010091207.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

More pics!

1010091210a.jpg

1010091308.jpg

1010091312.jpg

1010091316d.jpg

1010091216a.jpg

1010091217.jpg

skargo

Banned
Re: My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft - UPDATED with pics!

Brandon, she looks sweet! You sound like you are doing a very thorough job of checking her out.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks nice!

The teak swim deck would be as easy as removing it and sanding it down, then putting a good varnish on it. I would do all the wood on it at once so it all looks the same.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

My last boat was a Wellcraft, 1996 Eclipse 1950SS. Great boat and very solid. Wellcraft makes a good boat and typically use good parts and pieces when building the boat. They also typically overbuild the hull a bit so they tend to be pretty heavy. Great boats though.

a70eliminator

Captain

$2500 would be an absolute steal for that boat in my area, what a nice comfortable looking bow rider.

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Brandon,
I think I can answer a couple more questions. the alpha 1 is NOT a gen 2 it is a normal alpha one. good drive, parts are easy to get. should not be a concern.
The engine is 200hp at the crank, not the prop as with newer boats. this is the exact same engine that was in my classic 200 when I bought it a couple months ago. yours runs mine didnt, you are already one ahead of me. I replaced it wtih the 5.7 but reused the stock 2bbl. i guess i maybe picked up 30-40hp. I knew the previous owner of my boat and when he had it it topped out at 52 per the stock speedo. this was not gps verified. i would say the owner is right on if he told you 55 in PERFECT conditions alone with no weight and low fuel. mine cruises great at 30-35 with 4 peeps aboard and a full tank. planes quickly. as far as the teak goes I just finished redoing the swim platform on mine. it looked much worse than what you are looking at. I hit it with a sander and then used teak cleaner and teak brightener on it. both of these I picked up at my dealer, they are made by starbright. then I applied several coats of meguires teak oil. it turned out amazing. mine sat out in the weather with no cover for 4 years so you can imagine how bad it was. now it looks like new. If you can pick this up for 2500 and it runs well in the water I would say its a good deal.. I gave 800 for mine but it needed a long block and the interior is pretty rough. as far as the mildew goes it should clean off. I was amazed what a little elbow grease and a magic eraser would do. I tried a lot of chemical cleaners but none of them worked as well as a magic eraser and plain old tap water. Im still working on buffing the hull, it is coming out better than I thought too. i will get some pics for you asap. keep me posted. Its nice to see someone interested in the same boat I have givin its age.

skargo

Banned

Jim,
you should post up in the classic Wellcraft thread, love to see pics! Hopefully Brandon will be posting up there soon too!:cool:
Best of luck Brandon!

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes ive been meaning to. As soon as I get this @#%&ing buffing done i will get some pics taken and post them up with a set of before pics too.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Keep them coming if you have anything else to add!

Jim - I would love to see those pics. Especially the teak platform and the buffing job. As you can see in the last pic of my first post, they gray is faded some below where the cover was. I figured I would just have to live with this, but if it can be buffed out, that would be cool.

Thanks guys.

skargo

Banned

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Keep them coming if you have anything else to add!

Jim - I would love to see those pics. Especially the teak platform and the buffing job. As you can see in the last pic of my first post, they gray is faded some below where the cover was. I figured I would just have to live with this, but if it can be buffed out, that would be cool.

Thanks guys.
Give the ol' Vaseline trick a whirl :D