My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah with those compression number I'll stick by my original comment that it'll run for another 20 years like that.

If you're in the neighborhood I have a 296 Lb Merc kicker with 130+ compression on all six that likes to run 5800 RPMs for you with controls and cables sitting in the garage on a stand that's just collecting dust. The kidos should like that.. a lot :rolleyes:

y4maNOrHds0oERh7Pwq7-KlGAb3bYheV1fo70VF4rq-sN4G8uyFpQfyB12L9uWlXhZtteqmR33tXkh7LFvR9V0-utgYbSaGcMF2Cq7RrcV65hGmffP3Evd9UCwvQfuMK_bqvmqQKNOrsWuRw6GQ7W9Khz25MvjASm05K5L2dlqYOCnLojSIROHnFjcpQv_SQ9R6aAqDyWE0v_0pxEoPMch5aw

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Yeah with those compression number I'll stick by my original comment that it'll run for another 20 years like that.

If you're in the neighborhood I have a 296 Lb Merc kicker with 130+ compression on all six that likes to run 5800 RPMs for you with controls and cables sitting in the garage on a stand that's just collecting dust. The kidos should like that.. a lot :rolleyes:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/51yifq.bn.files.1drv.com\/y4maNOrHds0oERh7Pwq7-KlGAb3bYheV1fo70VF4rq-sN4G8uyFpQfyB12L9uWlXhZtteqmR33tXkh7LFvR9V0-utgYbSaGcMF2Cq7RrcV65hGmffP3Evd9UCwvQfuMK_bqvmqQKNOrsWuRw6GQ7W9Khz25MvjASm05K5L2dlqYOCnLojSIROHnFjcpQv_SQ9R6aAqDyWE0v_0pxEoPMch5aw?width=577&height=1024&cropmode=none"**[/IMG2]

PLEASE don't tempt me like that!

I thought you sold that engine a long time ago!

Not only is it wicked-cool old iron... it's repatriated old iron! :lol:

Watermann

PLEASE don't tempt me like that!

I thought you sold that engine a long time ago!

Not only is it wicked-cool old iron... it's repatriated old iron! :lol:

Old! Heck it's 4 years newer than your boat! :lol:

Actually this Merc was assembled in Canada according to it's serial number.

classiccat

USPS delivers! You need a bigger mailbox, CC. :D

and a bigger hanger...and a big divorce attorney b/c I'd have to buy a 21' Islander or Chief to hang that baby! :madgrin:

Old! Heck it's 4 years newer than your boat! :lol:

Actually this Merc was assembled in Canada according to it's serial number.

it's all relative I suppose. :lol:

I had no idea some Mercs were Canucks!

Quick update on the motor,
You guys might not remember but I had a heck of a getting a good seal on this thing (mainly the shift housing). I left a little fluid out of the LU (now that it has a few hours of runtime). Zero signs of water...in fact, still golden for the most part... and no shavings on the magnet. That piece of mind is totally worth the 2 crush washers and a few pumps of HiVis.

3MkIh5q.jpg

It's mounted back on the leg now all we're waiting for a new head gasket.

this motor is like a scab ...and I need to quit picking at it :lol:

Watermann

Hey what's that molly lube stuff for? I see OMC has their line of stuff like Merc, you know Quicksilver Extreme grease, 24-C, spline grease and gimbal bearing grease? :lol: I have 3 grease guns and 2 squirt tubes of greasy goodness. :adoration:

classiccat

Hey what's that molly lube stuff for? I see OMC has their line of stuff like Merc, you know Quicksilver Extreme grease, 24-C, spline grease and gimbal bearing grease? :lol: I have 3 grease guns and 2 squirt tubes of greasy goodness. :adoration:

Yup!

That Moly tube only sees daylight when I'm greasing driveshaft splines (going into the powerhead). Pretty much a lifetime supply for a DIY-er.

the 3M 847 below is a substitute for OMC Adhesive M. Commonly used on waterpump spaghetti seals as well as the mating surfaces between the LU and outer exhaust housing.

Triple guard grease is one of the best waterproof greases I've ever used.

OEM gasket sealant (gorilla snot) seems to be getting harder to come by (BRP gaskset sealing compound Quicksilver Perfect Seal etc.). It seems like places are starting to send Aviation sealant when you order OEM. The Loctite version seems decent at least for fasteners...haven't tried it on an actual gasket yet.

Watermann

the 3M 847 below is a substitute for OMC Adhesive M. Commonly used on waterpump spaghetti seals as well as the mating surfaces between the LU and outer exhaust housing.

You put sealant between the exhaust housing and the LU? I've never even considered it on my Mercs, they have drain holes even so water doesn't stand in there. In the winter that might be a problem if stored outside and what if water sits on the shift shaft seal?

classiccat

You put sealant between the exhaust housing and the LU? I've never even considered it on my Mercs, they have drain holes even so water doesn't stand in there. In the winter that might be a problem if stored outside and what if water sits on the shift shaft seal?

Good observation. The super smart engineers at OMC thought of that and put a drainage port there in the upper housing!

fetch

fetch

fetch

Attachments

• photo339802.jpg
    photo339802.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 104
  • photo339803.jpg
    photo339803.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 104
  • photo339804.jpg
    photo339804.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Watermann

Oh man that is wild, still trying to figure out why :noidea: :lol:

I forgot about those shift rods on the OMCs sticking out of the gear case, I saw a sticky about measuring them for the proper height when guys twist them around with the case dropped and can't get it to go in gear after reassembly.

I'll stick with my user friendly Mercs ;)

classiccat

Ok guys, quick update on the rig.

The motor is buttoned back up with new gaskets.

The CDI regulator that laurentide recommended works like a charm…voltage clipping around 14.5V which is perfect.

DUW3Htt.jpg

I put in a new metal thermostat mainly so I could use the fat cork seal.
HPc0fYB.jpg

I picked up a 15pitch prop and ran it on a smaller river close to my house…a waterway packed with kayakers, jetskis and pontoon boats so you’re constantly working the throttle attempting to be courteous :lol:

Besides the boat feeling “lighter”, chem was dead-on about that 4k sweet spot for cruising on plane!

So I added a CMC (which you obviously already have) and dropped the pitch down to 15. It can hit 30 now in perfect conditions, but running at 4200 @ 22-25 mph seems to be the sweet spot for fuel burn. I

It was idling a tad high (850-900 in forward gear) so I dropped it another 100 and re-synced the linkage when I got home.

I think we're finally dialed-in fellas! :yo:

classiccat

So what's left to do? You know it's never really finished. :D

sell some snowblowers so I can buy more Bert's tracks & trolling motor :lol:

Once the white stuff starts flying, i'll bust out the old Singer and take a crack at making some bow cushions.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Once the white stuff starts flying, i'll bust out the old Singer and take a crack at making some bow cushions.

I'll be waiting for that! I've been entertaining the idea of sewing up some bow cushions and maybe strip cushions on the inside human bumper area

classiccat

Off to a good start on the fall-bite. Boat record already a respectable 22lb 4oz.

Watermann

Nice sized fish, on bass or walleye gear they fight great. I used to spear carp here. What do you do with them?

classiccat

Nice sized fish, on bass or walleye gear they fight great. I used to spear carp here. What do you do with them?
Thanks! Yeah those ugly sticks were outgunned in deeper water and peak tidal flow; I'll be bustin' out my euro gear on the next session. Strictly C&R; grab a quick picture and weight then return them to fight another day. "No fish were harmed in the making of this video" :LOL:

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Spent the last week and a half/two weeks reading through this entire thread. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the detailed info in this thread, it gave me ideas for my boat and answered about a million questions I had....Good luck with the rig going forward and thanks again!