My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

Bluefin......if you strap a runner along the outside like gradad on the inside.... I think you should be able to call the hull a V4!!!!!!!!!!! bob

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

i think the wood side panels form the outer edge support for the shelf...they do in my Holiday at least

Yep, same with mine. Just going to add a little insurance in case some of those rivets start to get a little wobbly.

Bluefin......if you strap a runner along the outside like gradad on the inside.... I think you should be able to call the hull a V4!!!!!!!!!!! bob

There we go! Add a strake to the patch and make it look intentional :lol:

Couple of options instead of welding or drilling/riveting:

Evercoat

On-line Product Catalog:*3M

3M Panel Bonding Adhesive 37.5 mL 38315

Thanks for the suggestions BV! I think I'm going to stick with good-old 5200 under the patches...tried-and-true. No new drilling / rivets as I'm using the holes/rivets for the ribs.

barato2

Commander

a little insurance in case some of those rivets start to get a little wobbly

maybe 10-24 machine screws and nylocks there stead o rivets?

classiccat

a little insurance in case some of those rivets start to get a little wobbly

maybe 10-24 machine screws and nylocks there stead o rivets?

I like it!

Maybe take it a step further by having the through-holes be made in tapered epoxy plugs rather than just the PLY. I'd do it for both the z-channel as well as the shelf connections. The Z-channel connection to the deck would also go into an epoxy plug with a reverse taper using SS wood screws.

barato2

Commander

i understand the epoxy, but why the taper? (i have a feeling i'm about to learn something, again...)

classiccat

i understand the epoxy, but why the taper? (i have a feeling i'm about to learn something, again...)

Ahh good question....to prevent the plug from pulling out.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

Thats great thorough work as usual Chris it looks awesome.

barato2

Commander

OK, thanx. good plan. (says Snidely Whiplash, as he greedily steals yet another of someone else's good ideas to use on his own boat....)

classiccat

OK, thanx. good plan. (says Snidely Whiplash, as he greedily steals yet another of someone else's good ideas to use on his own boat....)

I can only take credit for the illustration. I think it was that jb-fella from WV that floated the notion on someone's transom replacement thread awhile back. I used straight plugs on my BlueFin and it hasn't fallen apart yet :)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Ahh good question....to prevent the plug from pulling out.

I am missing the benefit of this plug idea...and what are you riveting together???? is that transom wood to the outer skin????? I understand taper fits.....but that is a pretty steep angle....and unless the taper plug was wood as well...I am not seeing a tight fit...........what was the context again for "plugging" while riveting??bob

jbcurt00

Staff member

And I took it from somewhere else on the infinitely large boat resto info storehouse known as Iboats :cool:

GT & WOG have been suggesting it as long, or longer then I have. 'Course they don't suffer from the same tin related malady that we do...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bob
If the ply ever becomes compromised, or the epoxy plug ever becomes loose from the ply, the plug holds the transom ply to the transom skin rather then pulling thru it.

In a fiberglass boat it would be more 'important' in my mind then in a tinny, but if you are going to use epoxy to protect the plywood inside the thru holes, filling a larger then needed hole w/ epoxy & drilling thru solid epoxy keeps the wood from ever being exposed to water.

If you're doing that ^^^ making the plugs taper in either manner as BF drew them, is just another small step that could prove beneficial, w/ very little additional effort....

TAPEREDPLUGS_zps5ee41488.jpg

They're bolts ^^^ not rivets....

barato2

Commander

another approach is to lay transom (or whatever) flat, thin the heck out of your epoxy, put tape over the bottom side of the holes, fill em with super thinned epoxy and let it soak in; add more as the level in each hole drops. eventually, pull the tape off and wipe any drippage off the bottom with solvent before everything solidifies. this saturates the wood fibers around the hole with epox and should prevent water intrusion into the wood around the holes. this probably isn't quite as good an approach as the plugs but it's a lot less work. and i suspect it will last for years....problem is, we won't know whose approach is best and whose if any is worthless til another 40-50 yrs down the road. i shold be pushing up daisies by the time some poor SOB has to do the next resto on mine.....:lol:

classiccat

Thats great thorough work as usual Chris it looks awesome.

Thanks Sig! Lookin' forward to your "post-intermission" final-push to splash yours!

I am missing the benefit of this plug idea...and what are you riveting together???? is that transom wood to the outer skin????? I understand taper fits.....but that is a pretty steep angle....and unless the taper plug was wood as well...I am not seeing a tight fit...........what was the context again for "plugging" while riveting??bob

JB explained it perfectly!

another approach is to lay transom (or whatever) flat, thin the heck out of your epoxy, put tape over the bottom side of the holes, fill em with super thinned epoxy and let it soak in; add more as the level in each hole drops. eventually, pull the tape off and wipe any drippage off the bottom with solvent before everything solidifies. this saturates the wood fibers around the hole with epox and should prevent water intrusion into the wood around the holes. this probably isn't quite as good an approach as the plugs but it's a lot less work. and i suspect it will last for years....problem is, we won't know whose approach is best and whose if any is worthless til another 40-50 yrs down the road. i shold be pushing up daisies by the time some poor SOB has to do the next resto on mine.....:lol:

Yeah guys, my last resto (BlueFin) was done before I was aware of iboats...most of my learning came from reading West Systems literature & wood boat forums.

Despite having the week off from work, I've been juggling time with my daughter (last week of summer before starting 3rd grade) and time with my tin mistress!

It was a week of ups-and-downs...there was a brief moment where I considered selling this hull for scrap...true story. :cold:

classiccat

I'll start with the downs:

I started scrubbing the bottom hull skin...and the stress crack problem rivals what I found.

The corrosion from the layer of epoxy + having multiple water intrusion points (and a bilge pump that didn't work) caused a significant amount of damage to the hull skin.

On the SB bow hull skin, you'll notice 2 pits that corroded completely through...that the PO covered with black flex seal.

And this is after some wire wheel work on the port-side hull skin...it's like this pretty much everywhere to varying degrees.

Once I collected myself (and quit feeling sorry for myself :lol:) the plan is clear. After the patching, leak tests/fixes:
  1. SS wirewheel the entire bottom skin...remove all of the AlO2
  2. Clean with dilute muriatic acid (concentration is TBD)
  3. Neutralize with baking soda
  4. rinse like crazy (trace amounts of muriatic acid would be bad news)
  5. Fill all of the pits with Marine Tex
  6. gluv-it the interior rivets / seams
  7. prep aluminum for paint (probably 50/50 vinegar/water) + rinse
  8. self-etching primer on entire interior bottom
  9. Rusto prime/paint the interior bottom

classiccat

Now the Ups:

Zip strip + a wire brush & a scraper made short work of the carpet glue...some of which was covered with stinking epoxy.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

classiccat

And more Ups:
All of the rib-end rivets have been removed from the port side.

I've come-up with a pretty good system that involves drilling from the bucked-end (3/32" pilot hole followed by a 3/16" bit...knock the head-off with a wood chisel and pull-out the remnants with pliers).

I start by finding center using a sharpie:

I think I've finally settled on what I'm going with for bracing...maybe... :lol: This will go on-top of the rib tabs.

^^^ This along with what we talked about for making the side-panels more robust should last well beyond my lifetime!

Have a great weekend guys and Thanks for Stoppin' By!! :yo:

Last edited:

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bluefin, I don't blame you for wanting to junk the hull. You're finding enough to make ME want to junk it.

I'm glad it's got you to work on it, you seem to be doing a bang-up job on it!

:D

classiccat

Bluefin, I don't blame you for wanting to junk the hull. You're finding enough to make ME want to junk it.

I'm glad it's got you to work on it, you seem to be doing a bang-up job on it!

:D
Thanks Man!

Well...there's definitely alot of bang-ing going on with this job!

I have the tendency to personify inanimate objects... I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I gave-up on this old girl. She'll be pretty again ...with her fair share of "character" :love: