My first long tow is coming up, any tips?

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am planning to tow my 20' fish and ski on a single axle tralier from Nashville to Central Florida in a month. The tow vehicle is a Toyota Sequoia and seems to have plenty of power for the job. The boat and trailer are one year old but the trailer probably has maybe 30 miles on it. I was planing on taking the tralier by the dealership for a checkup but is there anything else I need to consider?

Should I use a cover or not? I have a nice cover for it but I am wondering whether 1400 miles (round trip) of wind beating beating the cover against the gelcoat would do more damage than the sun and road grime?

Thanks in advance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: My first long tow is coming up, any tips?

Make sure the trailer tires are aired up to their recommended pressure. Stop often and feel both the tires and the hubs. They will be warm but should not be overly hot. Check the trailer stop, tail, and turn signals before you begin the trip. A properly fitted cover (if its a trailerable cover) should not mark the boats finish. If the cover fits loosely however, it will flap at freeway speeds and will be ripped it to shreds. Without a cover, the boat will gather all sorts of road debris and grime.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

proper tire inflation, have the bearings checked, that's an annual thing anyway, no matter how many miles. when stopping for gas check the center hug for heat, just touch it. i never tow with a cover. beat the boat, and wears the cover. plus if it comes off you've cause an accident. any tire store can, check your bearing. don't pay dealer prices. you need to learn to do your own, mean more $ for boating. have a spare tire, a jack that will fit under the axle with the tire flat. and a lug wrench that fits the trailer. put a pad lock thru the trailer coupler. people think it's funny to unlock them while you are away from the vehicle.

silvertip, and i typing at the same time again.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys!

I had a custom cover buit for the boat that is tralerable but it cost nearly $400 and I kind of thought it would be cheaper for me to wash the boat than to risk tearing the cover.

I suppose I'll need to contact a dealer for a spare, it is a nitro and it didn't come with one. You'd have thought it would have for as much as I paid for this boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

any tire dealer can get you a spare. 1/2 the price. that's where the dealer is going to get it and mark it up.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

any tire dealer can get you a spare. 1/2 the price. that's where the dealer is going to get it and mark it up.

That is good news, I had heard that Tracker Marine of which Nitro is a subsidary used non standard lug designs or funky hubs or something making it necesary to purchase spares from a Tracker Dealer.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In addition to the above, I learned this from my brother who drove big rigs, make sure the bow strap, transom straps, bow chain, trailer safety chain, gunnel strap, boat cover are all on tight and check them everytime you stop. Your tow vehicle may have plenty of power but the bigger issue is stopping the load that you are towing. Drive safely, it is better to get there a an hour later than not at all.
Have a safe and pleasant trip.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I carry a floor jack and a star wrench alllllll the time now! It makes life so much easier.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Use the cover, in my experience the cover helps the Mpg by 1 or 2 and keeps the boat and contents dry.

Brendenk

Cadet

this is very true....i work at a tire shop!!!!!!! i think my 13 inch tire is like 25 dollars cost so it would be about 45 dollars list!!!!!!!! the dealer i bought my boat from wanted 85 bucks for a spare for my boat.

Brenden

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suppose I'll need to contact a dealer for a spare, it is a nitro and it didn't come with one. You'd have thought it would have for as much as I paid for this boat.

In wisconsin I think its illegal to sell a boat or maybe just a trailer without a spare, unless they tell you. Then again its just me thinking... watch out.

salty87

Commander

...extra bearing buddy's are a good idea, pretty much extra everything. and don't forget anything at home!

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before my trip over memorial day weekend my main concern was the tow vehicles cooling system. I double checked every possible hose, and changed one of the radiator hoses. The engine's going to run a little harder and a little hotter and all those parts are going to be stressed.
Take a good close look at the belt(s) also. Not terribly expensive preventative maintenance if they're showing any signs of wear.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If your gonna get a spare, how you gonna carry it?
Instead of a spare tire mount clamped to frame you might want to get spare tire mount that can carry a spare hub with spare tire mounted up to that.

Already greased and road ready to use in an on-the-road emergency.
With spare thrust washer and cotter pin and a spare spindle nut.
Then mount your spare to the spare hub.

Ready to use spare hub is pretty cheap and allows you to get back on the road and out of harms way alot faster.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Before my trip over memorial day weekend my main concern was the tow vehicles cooling system. I double checked every possible hose, and changed one of the radiator hoses. The engine's going to run a little harder and a little hotter and all those parts are going to be stressed.
Take a good close look at the belt(s) also. Not terribly expensive preventative maintenance if they're showing any signs of wear.

And it does not hurt anything to stash a jug of coolant, a bottle of motor oil, a funnel, a rag etc. under the hood somewhere.

usda

Cadet

I am new to boat towing...any towing in fact...I feel very unsettled...so much so I bought a used 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban to tow my fixer upper a 19 foot 1973 Seaswirl.

I complained of my jitters to a boat mechanic to whom I will tow the boat too next week...some 50 miles away.

He asks...me for details and I waffle some...so he says...'you look behind you and the boat is still there? What a bummer!' We had a good laugh...and his suggestion is probably right on...I have not developed the co-hones to be confident in my towing ability.

I recall vaguely 30 years ago and earlier hauling all sorts of trailers...in the Army some big 155mm. I do recall the jitters and that after the first hundred miles...they disappeared and I was king of the road. Hoping for a little of that to come back now.