My first boat - 1982 Starcraft SS160 rebuild

dozerII

Admiral
Great too see you back Shawn, time to get the SS finished and in the water.

smacd11

Seaman
Made some headway on the trailer tonight. Stripped it down and cleaned the rust off yesterday. My young helpers were busy tonight brushing primer on - hopefully we can finish tomorrow then I can paint it and get it out of the way to work on the boat.

smacd11

Seaman
First coat of paint on the trailer today, hopefully by Wed the trailer will be finished.

smacd11

Seaman
I'd rather be prepping the boat for paint, at least I had my young helpers eager and willing to help paint.

smacd11

Seaman
No Title

I am still trying to find a new one of these... this one is bent. I removed it hoping I would be able to straighten it but I think it is too far gone. Anyone have something kicking around that would work or know of a source for a replacement, either salvage or new?

Attachments

• photo225886.jpg
    photo225886.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I am still trying to find a new one of these... this one is bent. I removed it hoping I would be able to straighten it but I think it is too far gone. Anyone have something kicking around that would work or know of a source for a replacement, either salvage or new?

You may have to fabricate a couple of those supports yourself from some AL tubing.

dozerII

Admiral

Do you have a measurement of the length, I have about 4 old windshields laying around, and I am only 4 hours away fro you.

smacd11

Seaman
Sorry Glen, didn't see your post until now. The length is 36". Here is the profile - sorry about the size. Screenshot_1.png

I finally got the masking done tonight and tried to prime some of the interior but the damn bugs are attracted to the paint. I will have to try in the morning before my shop gets too hot - when I got home from camping today the thermometer in the shop indicated 38 deg C! Not the optimal conditions for working in.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Sorry Glen, didn't see your post until now. The length is 36". Here is the profile - sorry about the size.

I finally got the masking done tonight and tried to prime some of the interior but the damn bugs are attracted to the paint. I will have to try in the morning before my shop gets too hot - when I got home from camping today the thermometer in the shop indicated 38 deg C! Not the optimal conditions for working in.

I will check after work today.

dozerII

Admiral
Hey Shawn, I have 4 old windshields one is the same profile but the pieces are way short of 36"s the one that is long enough id a different profile size. Sorry man.:blue:

smacd11

Seaman
Just finished burning the midnight oil but I'm glad to say there is finally a coat of primer on my boat!!! Hopefully next Tuesday there will be some paint on it as we are off for probably our last camping trip of the season. I will post pics tomorrow after the fog clears. Good night all.

smacd11

Seaman
Hey Glen, I just saw your post - the windshield parts that are different profile, could you send me pics of them? Maybe I can make them work.

dozerII

Admiral
Hey Glen, I just saw your post - the windshield parts that are different profile, could you send me pics of them? Maybe I can make them work.

Will do I'm going away for a week and will do it as soon as I get back.

smacd11

Seaman
Here's pics of the update. I do have some runs in the primer to sand out - I don't have much experience with spraying other than rattle cans and I used this gun once about 8 years ago. It took a bit to figure out how to set it up.

This one is spot primed with etching primer on the bare spots...

This is with the primer...

I hope to add some more pics with colour next week.

Cheers.

dozerII

Admiral
Looks real good from here Shawn. I found another windshield in my garden shed, it has side panes 39 inches long measured along the top

PM me your phone # I will be coming up past Calgary on my way to Edson next Thursday.