My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a family of 4. Myself and my wife are near the age of 40, and my son and daughter are young teens. We have never owned, not even considered a boat until last week.

The consensus is, that it's the only recreational activity that everyone wants to be a part of. We live in NE Alabama and the Tennessee River runs through my town. Our budget is in the $5-6000 range, which puts us in the used market.

I have differing opinions from friends on which style boat would suit us. Our main use would be to play. The kids love tubing and we would swim, and travel the river. I am looking into the USGS Safety Course today, and looking for boats at the same time. I spent over an hour yesterday at the local Marina talking with some very experience boaters, and the tales of taking those big cruisers from here to the Bahamas had me daydreaming...

Of course, when I told my family about it, they had the smiles too. So, in summary, I know very little about boats, my budget is in the $5-6000 range, the choices look like either a pontoon or a ski-type boat. I do have a capable vehicle to tow the boat in my 2001 Tahoe 4wd with the tow package.

I am going to the marina again this week, to seek counsel on this also.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Family Wants a Boat, And So Do I

You're starting the right way with the safety course and talking to owners at the marina. Your budget is a good start but you also need to have some in reserve for repairs etc. Look around at the different styles of boats, see what's available locally on C/L and do some research. Post any links to anything of interest and the pro's here will give you their advice.
Good luck with your search.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome aboard.

The boating class is available on-line ;)

Your tow vehicle will handle any boat within your budget.

I would suggest a bowrider at least 17' with 19' being better. There are so many choices it will drive you nuts. Engines - outboard - inboard outboard- inboard, hull designs deep V or tri hull (<rough ride), dual purpose fish and ski

Do not buy with emotion and based on looks!!!!

Browse right here on iboats http://boats.iboats.com/ and "drill down" to what you like.

Any questions / advice will be answered here.

I will not give the list of bad boats but.......here is your short list
NO OMC OUTDRIVES
NO YAMAHA OUTDRIVES
NO Mercruiser 470 series OUTDRIVES
I have personal preferences too but I will leave them out for now.

Good luck happy hunting - keep an eye on Craigslist and see if you can find someone within your circle of friends who has allot of boat knowledge.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! I need those suggestions to ask questions. Right now I am looking into a 1 owner 1994 Sea Ray at $5500 with a 7 yr old Merc V6, and a 1 owner 92' Bayliner at $6900. These are the type boats that we are looking for, and there seems to be several Bayliners and Sea Rays for sale in this area. I'm using the Huntsville Al CL to look.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

how about an 18ft alluminum like a starcraft supersport with newer outboard power? New boater friendly outboard, no rotten stringer, transom to search for, and if you find out your not into boating, or you wan't to go larger, you have a decent following that makes it easier to sell the boat.

Those 15+ y.o. fiberglass boats can be hiding a new boaters nightmare under the pretty carpet. Just my biased opinion.

Philster

Captain

Old bow riders have some of the worst odds. To beat back the people who will say you can find an older bow rider in good shape, I will remind them right now that I said they have some of the worst odds, which implies that you can find one in good shape. For some reason, this is always misunderstood.

Fiberglass boats are mostly wood-n-glass boats and bow riders tend to have a fair am't of their wooden structures exposed to water somehow over the years. Fresh water rots the innards of these boats.

Odds get better when the boat has a self-bailing deck. These are typically called center consoles or dual consoles, and they are the kind of boat that sheds water; they have lots of white glass and less vinyl, upholstery, cushions, etc.

Good outboards from Mercury/Mariner, Yamaha and Evinrude/Johnson are hooked onto these types of boats.

At your budget, these tend to be the most practical ways of getting into boating. To beat back those who will follow with anecdotal evidence, I am reminding them again that I did not say it's the only way and that this just tends to be the most practical way.

I also like to suggest alum boats and two-stroke outboards if you really seek to play it safe.

If you are hellbent on a bowrider of the Sea Ray and Bayliner type, circa 1990's, then you must counter the additional risk with exponentially more leg work and knowledge. Toss in an I/O congfig and raise it by another power.

bgc

Ensign

Thumbs up on the boating course!!!

If you buy a fiberglass boat, find someone to survey a hull. No one likes to see new boat owners in the dry docks....

64osby

Admiral

I would suggest a bowrider at least 17' with 19' being better.

1+ on this, your kids will want to bring friends, you want seats for at least 6 if not more.

I have also seen some very nice pontoons that people kneeboard, tube and ski behind. Pontoons are not as easy to trailer.

Outboards are easier and less expensive to maintain than I/O's, IMO. If an outboard blows up they are much easier to replace. Depending on your skill set you should be able to maintain your own motor which will save you tons of money.

I have a preference for aluminum boats, they are noisier and maybe not as posh, but they are very durable and if you ever need to replace the transom or deck they are much easier and less expensive to work on.

I have one like this http://auburn.craigslist.org/boa/3025951632.html Hard to tell from the pics but it should be a Mariner like the one in my signature link.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Aluminum and outboard. Toon, deck, bowrider, or runabout they all work. Just don't ever sell the aluminum boat you get, just add to the fleet. :facepalm:
An aluminum/outboard boat is just way more forgiving for FOUR new captains, less upkeep, easier to keep clean, good for decades of use, just a better first boat than a glass boat. imho

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

outboard.

no pontoons, bass boat, or closed bow speedboat.

try to get as much room in the interior as you can; avoid built-in space wasters like fancy dashboard/consoles, heavy padding, big fluffy sofa-like seating. It's a boat, not a den. PLus all that crap is a moisture magnet and maintenance headache.

Good suggestion on the aluminums. a 16' starcraft with a 55-70 is a great starter rig.

Single axle trailer, no brakes.

Good titles, not just a bill of sale.

Outboard.

Maclin

Admiral

The swim platform configurations possible with an I/O versus an Outboard are very attractive for family type outings.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's really going to be up to you and your preference. I agree there is likely to be less headaches with an aluminum boat, but I really couldn't see myself out in an aluminum boat for anything but fishing in a small lake. Out pleasure boating with the family and enjoy tubing, wakeboarding, etc? I couldn't see myself in the market for an aluminum boat.

I don't prefer outboards, but I understand why people like them for certain applications. If you use the ever loving crap out of the boat and put lots and lots of hours on it, I prefer the I/O personally. If the boat is going to do a lot of sitting between seasons and only go out a couple of dozen times per year, I prefer the outboard. Boats don't like to just sit, but I/O develope more problems and more serious problems from doing it.

I also don't like the cost of replacing an outboard....OUCH.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The swim platform configurations possible with an I/O versus an Outboard are very attractive for family type outings.

That is one big reason, and a sundeck... With a family of kids, and probably friends, you are going to have kids that want to jump off, get back on, then jump off. With an outboard, this is bad for a couple reasons. Its dangerous both jumping, as well as getting back in. Also, they are bringing water with them every time. With an I/O and extended swim platform, they can't jump into the prop, getting back on is trivial, and you won't have any water in the boat if they are staying on the swim platform/sundeck.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

1+ on this, your kids will want to bring friends, you want seats for at least 6 if not more.

Couldn't agree more. Teenagers don't want to 'hang' with their parents for very long. If they can't bring at least one friend each, they'll tire of the hobby very quickly.

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is one big reason, and a sundeck... With a family of kids, and probably friends, you are going to have kids that want to jump off, get back on, then jump off. With an outboard, this is bad for a couple reasons. Its dangerous both jumping, as well as getting back in. Also, they are bringing water with them every time. With an I/O and extended swim platform, they can't jump into the prop, getting back on is trivial, and you won't have any water in the boat if they are staying on the swim platform/sundeck.

I whole heartedly agree with this, we have a sunbed and extended swim platform and it is awesome when we go out. makes transitioning from tubing, knee boarding, etc... a hell of a lot easier. I use the swim platform alot to swap out single and double tubes.

baylake

Seaman

+1 & welcome to boating. I have an I/O but would recommend Outboard if you can. It's easier to work with. Home Cookin' got all of the right points. You want a spacious interior without all of the space wasting.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep em coming guys! The swim thing is exactly what we have in mind, along with the friends. Any help is very appreciated!!!

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing to keep in mind is what you actually are willing to spend each time you take it out... Mine takes $150 for fuel - thrown in some grub and drinks and we look at $200 or so everytime I run the boat for the day - sometimes more fuel. but that also depends on how you drive - cruising speed will be much more affordable but running 45's and 50's all day will eat the fuel.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We are going to look at a 1988 Sea Ray with a 7 year old V6 Mercruiser stern drive, with recently redone seats and carpet and new gauges Saturday. It's in our price range and the size we like. What should I ask, besides what I already asked about the engine, transom, hull and trailer?

bullcity101

Seaman

Do a lot of tapping on the hull and transom. A differeance in sound from a nice solid thud to a more dampened thud is likely that the area is in bad shape and needs extensive repair. make sure they take you for a sea trial, if not they are likely hiding something. Look, it's your boat, get what you want and what you will use it for. anything with 170 or more horses should pull and tube or skier with 5 or 6 people on board. Have fun!