My Boat topic was deleted so I am stating a new one. BOAT AND ENGINE CAME

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Boat topic was deleted so I am stating a new one. BOAT AND ENGINE CAME

Better call the dealer they have to know . The transmission oil has to be in the lower and regular motor oil in the crankshaft case like any 4 stroke engine like you check the oil in the car take the cowling off (the cover ) and look for a dipstick do not try to start the engine unless you are sure you have oil in it and you'll damage it .

I think I will keep trying until I get the dealer before we start the gnine. I am not sure baout anything aynmore. Now I see that most engines need anextra mount to raise it out of hte water, is this true? I thought you just put engine on transom of inflatable and you are ready for a fun day.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The info about screws (which are 3 on tail) must be written on owners manual, a matter of reading patiently the complete manual, check tail, sometimes are marked there (oil/water), most of the time upper and lower oil plugs are in straight line, water plug screw is next to upper one.

What do you mean by "extra mount to raise it out of the water", you probably meant a extra engine stand, will need one for vertical rinse & storage at home. Better ask dealer for a short practical installation course, perfect if he has an engine to practice fuel priming, choque issues, turning on/off procedures, much better than guessing...

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

The info about screws (which are 3 on tail) must be written on owners manual, a matter of reading patiently the complete manual, check tail, sometimes are marked there (oil/water), most of the time upper and lower oil plugs are in straight line, water plug screw is next to upper one.

What do you mean by "extra mount to raise it out of the water", you probably meant a extra engine stand, will need one for vertical rinse & storage at home. Better ask dealer for a short practical installation course, perfect if he has an engine to practice fuel priming, choque issues, turning on/off procedures, much better than guessing...

Happy Boating

No, there are two gray screws or plastic gray screws and next to that says wash on one and oil level on the left one. But not three. Ok, that seems clear my hubby read it and understand it. Extra mount, I saw in the zodiac hand book that when you mount the engine it can be too low down in water or too high. When too low one must affix something to raise the mounted part of the engine above the transom to enable the proper depth of the part of the engine that goes in water, not sure about that. Engine gave specs as to water line etc.

Next dumb dumb dumb question. driving the outboard in forward seems easy, but when is reverse engaged and does one have to put trottle hand in no movement position and then neutral then put reverse or can one be moving forward and then move the switch as the engine head to reverse to slow down boat for approaching dock?

saltycat

Cadet

HI, in your situation as long as you use the boat in fresh water you do not have to flush the engine every time but once in awhile if the water in the river is murky . This has to be done when you use it only in salt water fore long time without flushing the salt from the water evidently can crystallize and deposit inside the engine and aluminum and salt are not good friends in time it will corrode the engine and in your case if you'll use on vacation in salt water I assume will be difficult to flush it but if will be used for a week or so don't worry the corrosion will not be happening overnight but when you'll get back home flush the engine for 1 hour at list so the fresh water will dissolve what ever salt will be inside.
Now regarding using the revers to slow down is possible but not recommended especially when one has not much experience ,on a river try landing parallel with the dock and against the current at low speed and the current will slow you down. In the ocean if you have to use revers to slow down means that the speed is too high and to avoid a crush landing, try to come for landing very slow and when you are 20 to 30 feet from the shore put the engine in neutral and let the inertia of the boat and the waves do the rest.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You are still missing a second grey gearcase oil screw which is located at lower leg, very near the tail end, all outboard engines needs 2 oil screws, the lower one is for filling, draining used oil out, the upper one is a vent hole, takes air out while pumping new oil from lower plug, lets you know when you have reached max oil filled level before securing both plugs.

If you have a bought short shaft engine will not neeed any transom mount, your Zodiac is a short transom one. Check you have received a short shaft engine, if not, have it changed inmediately before using it. If you'll be using your combo at sea, will need ear muffs to flush engine after use. You must throttle down completely into idle before placing gear lever into neutral, same when gearing into reverse or forward...

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are still missing a second grey gearcase oil screw which is located at lower leg, very near the end, need 2 oil screws, the lower one is for filling, draining used oil out, the upper one is a vent hole, takes air out while filling new oil from lower plug, lets you know when you have reached max oil filled level before securing both plugs tight.

If you have a bought short shaft engine will not neeed any transom mount, your Zodiac is a short transom one. Check you have received a short shaft engine, if not, have it changed inmediately before using it. If you'll be using your combo at sea, will need ear muffs to flush engine after use. You must throttle down completely into idle before placing gear lever into neutral, same when gearing into reverse or forward...

Happy Boating

I just found the other screw its actually below the prop at the pointed peak under the prop. Is this what you mean? I wonder why they put them so far down. This is a Honda short shaft 4 stroke engine. I will get some good pics tonight and post them for you to see. Maybe I am missing something. Do you know what these ear muffs are called in Europe`? I dontk now or see them here. What about the HOnda flush kit which is a thing that screws into the base of the engine to flush isnt this good?

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI, in your situation as long as you use the boat in fresh water you do not have to flush the engine every time but once in awhile if the water in the river is murky . This has to be done when you use it only in salt water fore long time without flushing the salt from the water evidently can crystallize and deposit inside the engine and aluminum and salt are not good friends in time it will corrode the engine and in your case if you'll use on vacation in salt water I assume will be difficult to flush it but if will be used for a week or so don't worry the corrosion will not be happening overnight but when you'll get back home flush the engine for 1 hour at list so the fresh water will dissolve what ever salt will be inside.
Now regarding using the revers to slow down is possible but not recommended especially when one has not much experience ,on a river try landing parallel with the dock and against the current at low speed and the current will slow you down. In the ocean if you have to use revers to slow down means that the speed is too high and to avoid a crush landing, try to come for landing very slow and when you are 20 to 30 feet from the shore put the engine in neutral and let the inertia of the boat and the waves do the rest.

So this reving up is for experienced boaters who come in too fast and try to slow their boats before docking then? I thought that was part of the running of the outboard. I can cut engine I have seen many do this to slow down boat. So cut engine and then raise the prop correct? So when reversing the boat should first be in neutral and then engage the reverse correct?

I will be on holidays in Brittany for three weeks so I am hoping to use boat daily but it may not happen. So we do not need to flush daily? We can cuz we have a house and the ability to use a garden hose, so if we have that should we just flush ten mins daily after use`?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Zodie, just found the missing second oil screw, they are far away to maintain a certain lever/amount of gearcase oil, for better inside gear lubrication. Ok about short shaft engine, don't know what ear muffs are being called in Europe. About Honda flusher port, as said before ask dealer if you will need to close lower tail water intakes so as not to lose water pressure when flushing engine with flush kit while engine is on, don't know Honda engines so to advise properly. If engine has a thermostat you must flush engine on, to give time for the thermostat to open and rinse engine head water passages properly. If doesn't have a thermostst, you don't need, check your owners manual if you need to flush engine on or off.

Seems your flusher port is located at lower tail, next to oil screw as in below examples. If so, just buy the ear muffs. In my particular Tohatsu case, if using the flushing port where green hose is connected, mut seal with ear muffs both lower tail water intakes as not to lose max presure that gives a better inside water rinse throghout the entire water cooling system while engine is on. Have sealed the extreme of my ear muffs so as not to accept a water hose, just acts a as a water retainer while using the flush port with proper Tohatsu adapter.

Being that engine so small won't have issues with excesive speeds as probably mission impossible for boat and engine to come into plane, so don't worry when docking/beaching, while sib still on water with engine on, disconnect engine gas hose, let engine die out of fuel. You don't want to have carb gas remains and have spills inside car while engine is transporting laying sideways back home. After using engine in salt water, you can inmerse tail in tap water in a bucket deep enough to cover complete tail depth, start engine to be flushed in neutral, apply same engine dying procedure as above.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Flushing Port.JPG
    Flushing Port.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Ear Muffs.JPG
    Ear Muffs.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Here is a link to the OWNER MANUAL from HONDA USA website where you can see explicits pictures and explanation,but I don't think to be differences between USA and european models http://marine.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZV1010.pdf .

Thanks, have checked the entire owners mnaul, doesn't say a word about ear muffs use, just flushing coupler, deep bucket/container use, Zodie, stay simple, better go for a engine stand, will definitely need one to store engine at vertical position and while flushing too after use + add a quicker to place deep bucket under engine; muffs, garden hose, flushing coupler are more time demanding to connect losers :D Engine must be flushed while engine is on as do have a thermostat...

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, have checked the entire owners mnaul, doesn't say a word about ear muffs use, just flushing coupler, deep bucket/container use, Zodie, stay simple, better go for a engine stand, will definitely need one to store engine at vertical position and while flushing too after use + add a quicker to place deep bucket under engine; muffs, garden hose, flushing coupler are more time demanding to connect loosers :D Engine must be flushed while engine is on...

Happy Boating

Amen, I will let hubby read this one and compare it to the one we have. I am not a techie in anything mechanical so I will read it but wont be doing that. i am sure he can manage. We have a very nice stand look at the link this is exactly the stand i have, its foldable as well for transport. So we can take it to france with us.

http://www.piplers.co.uk/3396/Rooteq-OUTBOARD-TROLLEY.html

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Better call the dealer they have to know . The transmission oil has to be in the lower and regular motor oil in the crankshaft case like any 4 stroke engine like you check the oil in the car take the cowling off (the cover ) and look for a dipstick do not try to start the engine unless you are sure you have oil in it and you'll damage it .

Hi Salty, thanks so much for taking time to locate this manual. I will go and read it now.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

We have a very nice stand look at the link this is exactly the stand i have, its foldable as well for transport. So we can take it to france with us.

Nice stand, sorry to ruin the party, but seems there's not suffcient space under tail to place a deep bucket, probaly will need to go for the flushing coupler & garden hose and seal lower leg water intakes with duct tape to have better water pressure while flushing.

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice stand, sorry to ruin the party, but seems there's not suffcient space under tail to place a deep bucket, probaly will need to go for the flushing coupler & garden hose and seal lower leg water intakes with duct tape to have better water pressure while flushing.

Happy Boating

-The stand is adjustable to very high up. I find the US version of owners manual very very informative, ours is lame and not as detalied. How do you remove the prop, we cant see how and there is no instruction howto do this.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Do not need to remove prop, find this recommendation a real exageration if you know what you are doing, just don't gear while engine is on while flushing, keep engine at neutral at all times, avoid children, doggy around engine area and that's it. If going for the water bucket, check base portion under the tail, if will allow to sit properly a bucket, those tires seems not very proper/wide to move stand & engine on sand, if carrying 27 KG for that engine is a unconfortable weight issue for long distance travel, then go for it, if not, probably this engine stand is better for any 3 method flushing.

http://www.piplers.co.uk/4462/Osculati-OUTBOARD-MOTOR-STAND.html

The chosen flushing method; bucket, muffs, flusher adapter is entirely up to your taste, go for the easiest to connect/use.

Happy Boating

saltycat

Cadet

Yes Sea Rider is wright no need to remove propeller, it mentioned in the manual just fore the manufacturer to cover their asses in case of an accident . Regarding the stand if you bought it for transporting the engine also you'll not go too far on the beach with those tiny wheels and yes I have to agree with Sea Rider , I forgot about the thermostat that is very small and the water passage might be just a few millimeters so flushing is necessary after every use in case salt will crystallize and clog it. I know for me would be a PITA to do it every day especially on vacation. Just an idea I know is extra money but check on line or if you have friends in the area where you'll be vacationing maybe you can find a small marina where to leave the boat overnight in the water and have them flush the engine or if the boat will stay out of the water in a courtyard so you'll flush the engine but you'll not have inflate and deflate every day.
Sorry I forgot be very careful with that stand when starting the engine it can flip when pulling the rope

azzurro

Seaman

Amen, I will let hubby read this one and compare it to the one we have. I am not a techie in anything mechanical so I will read it but wont be doing that. i am sure he can manage. We have a very nice stand look at the link this is exactly the stand i have, its foldable as well for transport. So we can take it to france with us.

http://www.piplers.co.uk/3396/Rooteq-OUTBOARD-TROLLEY.html

Good purchase! I own one. I have a Honda BF20 46 kg, so I had to modify mine a bit. But it is perfect, even for stairs and sandy beach. I cannot use it for flushing because of the weight of my engine, but as your outboard engine is lighter I guess you will be able to put a water bucket between outboard leg and "T" shaped support.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good purchase! I own one. I have a Honda BF20 46 kg, so I had to modify mine a bit. But it is perfect, even for stairs and sandy beach. I cannot use it for flushing because of the weight of my engine, but as your outboard engine is lighter I guess you will be able to put a water bucket between outboard leg and "T" shaped support.

Can it be used then to flush with the flush kit? we got it today. Another thing happened today

Husband bored holes in transom to install a pair of wheels. He broke HUGE HUGE part of the transom inside of the boat off. I am so upset. Not in one place but several. Now I dont know what to do to repair it its about 4cm big and a huge thick picec of the wood had fallen out. Can I use wood paste and then paint over it? where can I find a tiny tin of navy blue marine paintP?I am only finding huge tins for 38 euros. I noly need like 100ml.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starting a new topic. this one lost its life.

Last edited: