My Boat topic was deleted so I am stating a new one. BOAT AND ENGINE CAME

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dont know why my topic was removed but I have a HUNCH.

anyhow. I had asked a question last night regarding the Launch Wheels I bought. they are stainless steel but with a bend on the steel part. They are 36cm across so quite big.

My questions were, will drilling holes on my transom damage or crack or weaken the transom? Will the wood begin to rot from the drilling? Here are the wheels once more they are not exactly this brand but shape. They do not flip up automatically but Ih ave the option to remove bold and flip up manually and then replace bolt.

Its not this one but the shape of the pole is the same.

I must drill one large hole on top, one large hole on bottom of each pole then 4 very small holes two on each side for pole at the top.

http://www.polymarineshop.com/media...5fb8d27136e95/l/a/launching-wheels-626011.jpg

paulpost

Banned
Re: My Boat topic was deleted so I am stating a new one. BOAT AND ENGINE CAME

If you launch from a boat ramp you do not need the one you have now they are bulky you need this http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10110&subdeptNum=10648&classNum=10653 and from what I can remember from the previous post that has been deleted your boat is not registered yet just an idea why don't you register the boat here in USA and follow the USA rules yes you'll have to fly a USA flag but you can have a VHF hand held without all the licenses an such still you'll have to follow the safety rules of the country you are in. I'm pushing for this VHF radio for the reason that I hope will never be necessary that when you use the cell phone your call is directed to an other phone number so just one person only but when you send a distress call on your VHF radio your call can be and it is herd by hundreds that can come and help you in minutes, that way here in USA they drooped all the rules and regulations.
Paul

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you launch from a boat ramp you do not need the one you have now they are bulky you need this http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10110&subdeptNum=10648&classNum=10653 and from what I can remember from the previous post that has been deleted your boat is not registered yet just an idea why don't you register the boat here in USA and follow the USA rules yes you'll have to fly a USA flag but you can have a VHF hand held without all the licenses an such still you'll have to follow the safety rules of the country you are in. I'm pushing for this VHF radio for the reason that I hope will never be necessary that when you use the cell phone your call is directed to an other phone number so just one person only but when you send a distress call on your VHF radio your call can be and it is herd by hundreds that can come and help you in minutes, that way here in USA they drooped all the rules and regulations.
Paul

Hi, while I am an American, I cannot as far as I know register the boat back home where I do not reside. I am a permanent resident of Germany so I have to follow the auto driving rules as well as the boat laws and rules that are applicable here or they are gonna get me. Its a good thought but I cannot do that unless I am there living. After one year of residence in Germany you MUST follow the rules of the sea and road here and not back home. I looked into all those aspects before we got the boat. I will however ask about a portable VHF tomorrow at the boat place and see what the Germans say. In the EU I have to follow the rules of the sea according to Germany rules and believe me, I think they may be far more challenging than that of the French. The Germans love rules and regs. I will ask tomorrow.

We may not always launch from a boat ramp. I found the wheels to be quite large. I will call the dealer tomorrow and tell him send me the Zodiac wheels, they were made for the zodiac boat and does not entail drillage. These are really not only huge but bulky and heavy.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Hola Zodie,

There was so much complaint about your Z 340 purchase, including my not friendly posts as a user, not dealer; the mysterious hand errased the complete post as this brand seems to have their hidden fanatics who got upset...What happened with the claim, is it working, is it going to be fixed or sib still grounded ? What still confussed, you bought the sib from a German dealer or French Dealer who sent the sib to Germany ?

Happy Boating

paulpost

Banned

Hi, I'm glad you are back as I told you on the previous thread just disregard and do not answer when you are not confortable with the post.
Regarding the VHF radio is a good idea to chek with the boat dealer, maybe the laws and restrictions apply for land use only like here in USA for land use you have to have a licence from FCC, also not many people know that using a marine VHF on land is illegal and if they get you, you can get a big fine. The reason I think is that the plolice ,fire fighters and other oficial branches of the local or national goverment uses this VHF frquencies, not the case with marine VHF that has allocated internationaly specific frquencies. This may be the case in Germany or the EU.
Good luck.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hola Zodie,

There was so much complaint about your Z 340 purchase, including my not friendly posts as a user, not dealer; the mysterious hand errased the complete post as this brand seems to have their hidden fanatics who got upset...What happened with the claim, is it working, is it going to be fixed or sib still grounded ? What still confussed, you bought the sib from a German dealer or French Dealer who sent the sib to Germany ?

Happy Boating

Hola Sea rider

Took the Zodie in, the valve was indeed FAULTY. The KEEL was completely miss placed and was not positioined in the middle of the boat. Strange. I was shocked to see such poor quality coming out of France a country and products that I love so much. Anyhow, the repair guy said that this boat seemed to have been a SHOW ROOM PIECE adn not a brand new boat as I had envisioned. It has a lot of scruff marks and indentations as I said earlier. the guy said that there is warranty on the boat for 2 years and 5 years warranty on seals. Its a shame I had to stress myself and waste a whole saturday running to timbucktoo to fix a brand new boat. Does not leave me very condifent as to its longevity.

I have not tested it yet, I must get it registered tomorrow.

Speaking of that, is there an easy and permanent way to stick the reg numbers?

I am not sure about these launch wheels. How much weight can the Zodie launch wheels take? this set of wheels I have can haul 180 kilos of which I wont have in the boat at any given time. So my question back to the wheels is.

Will the transom be dmaged to drill all those holes? There is a place set already for the zodie launch wheels which I believe will have no more drilling to be done. This set is large wheels and i have to drill 8 holes total. Will this weaken the transom and or cause leakage? Or should I send them back for the zodie wheels?

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, I'm glad you are back as I told you on the previous thread just disregard and do not answer when you are not confortable with the post.
Regarding the VHF radio is a good idea to chek with the boat dealer, maybe the laws and restrictions apply for land use only like here in USA for land use you have to have a licence from FCC, also not many people know that using a marine VHF on land is illegal and if they get you, you can get a big fine. The reason I think is that the plolice ,fire fighters and other oficial branches of the local or national goverment uses this VHF frquencies, not the case with marine VHF that has allocated internationaly specific frquencies. This may be the case in Germany or the EU.
Good luck.

I will ask tomorrow at the boat and shipping office. I will be using the boat in Germany on the Rhine the arms that is and also other lakes possibly at some point in time. But for now its the Atlantic coast. I have so much stuff to learn and as I said in the deleted post. If I am not comfortable, I will not go in the boat, will still take it but wont use it if I feel there is a risk of danger.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nice to hear the boat was finally repaired, your transom already has upper lateral holes, better buy original Zodiac launch wheels to avoid drilling new position holes to place other brand's wheels. Check your "favorite" Zodiac dealer. Is it possible for the "dealer" to change your delivered boat for a new one, you are not buying a Showroom Demo Boat with full indentations, but a new one in impeccable conditions. If true, dealer should have told you the condition of the boat with discount or go for a full priced one.

Happy Boating

paulpost

Banned

As long as the dealer did not tell you that the boat was a floor model they have to give you a big discount or replace with a brand new one. try to contact the owner and complain. If you manage to make them to replace the boat I personally would get an air deck one a lot easier to inflate and deflate the trick is that you have to inflate the air deck to 11 psi and you have the Bravo air pump that can do the job. And don't worry you'll not fall through the floor ask Sea Rider his previous boat was an air deck also. Just a suggestion.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Well, my previous sib was not an air mat, was a alum deck which had a custom air mat on top as I like to cruise for hours sitting inside deck and not on tubes, an air mat would be a much faster & friendly sib to transport/assemble/inflate. Have had 280 & 320 air mat sibs., the odds are: deck rocks a bit more no matter what psi you have inflated it to and air mat could puncture with sharp/point objets compared to any wooden or alum pannel floor sib. Not real worrying issues as not going for one. For peace of mind could place a carpet on top mat to match same countour.

Happy Boating

paulpost

Banned

Well, my previous sib was not an air mat, was a alum deck which had a custom air mat on top as I like to cruise for hours sitting inside deck and not on tubes, an air mat would be a much faster & friendly sib to transport/assemble/inflate. Have had 280 & 320 air mat sibs., the odds are: deck rocks a bit more no matter what psi you have inflated it to and air mat could puncture with sharp/point ob jets compared to any wooden or alum panel floor sib. Not real worrying issues as not going for one. For peace of mind could place a carpet on top mat to match same contour.

Happy Boating
Sorry for the confusion from the pictures you posted I thought it was an air mat .
But now ( I have an air mat) from your suggestion of placing a carpet cut to match the contour of the air mat what do you think about this http://www.americanfloormats.com/pyramid-runner-mats/ do you think will do the job of protecting the air mat?

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice to hear the boat was finally repaired, your transom already has upper lateral holes, better buy original Zodiac launch wheels to avoid drilling new position holes to place other brand's wheels. Check your "favorite" Zodiac dealer. Is it possible for the "dealer" to change your delivered boat for a new one, you are not buying a Showroom Demo Boat with full indentations, but a new one in impeccable conditions. If true, dealer should have told you it was a demo boat with some discount or go for a full priced one.

Happy Boating

Today he mentioned that it may be best to replace it but he is a difficult man to come buy and time is running out. i needed to practice on the river before taking this boat to the ocean. I am so afraid to take it to Frnace with NO experience then to practice there, what is something dangerous happen to us because we were not ready? That is why I wanted to practice here. I have only three weekends left and next week is not possible this past weekend was wasted and this coming one will be wasted as we dont have the wheels. Can I still use the boat without launch wheels? If so HOW, how can we use it and put engine on it and all that with no wheels? I find it quite heavy. Can you mount engine on the water?

I am not 100% sure its a showroom but I find a new boat should never has the dents and scruff marks as this one did. Shame on them. If I hae to wait for a new one it means NO time to practice here and it all will be done in France, SCAREY

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, my previous sib was not an air mat, was a alum deck which had a custom air mat on top as I like to cruise for hours sitting inside deck and not on tubes, an air mat would be a much faster & friendly sib to transport/assemble/inflate. Have had 280 & 320 air mat sibs., the odds are: deck rocks a bit more no matter what psi you have inflated it to and air mat could puncture with sharp/point objets compared to any wooden or alum pannel floor sib. Not real worrying issues as not going for one. For peace of mind could place a carpet on top mat to match same countour.

Happy Boating

I have two dogs, will have fishing gear on boat. Best if wooden floor and I feel safer with wood. I am just afraid of water and to think that I am standing on air will freak me out more. So I will stay with the air floor.
I will hit up this guy again if he will SPEAK to me for a big discount. Its more than ridiculous, not to mention my wasted time and dissapointed plans. I told him since March that I needed the boat to come early so I can practice before we take it to the ocean. We will look like idiots in the bay practic ing in ten feet of water. How long does it really take someone to learn how to maneuver a dinghy and outboard? I mean do I need days and days of practice?

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the confusion from the pictures you posted I thought it was an air mat .
But now ( I have an air mat) from your suggestion of placing a carpet cut to match the contour of the air mat what do you think about this http://www.americanfloormats.com/pyramid-runner-mats/ do you think will do the job of protecting the air mat?

The air fllor is probably much lighter than these hard wood floors and easier to transport but I am just chicken about standing on the atlantic ocean with only air under me. I am already terribly afraid of small open boats. I really dont even think I will go out as far as 100meters lol.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

SEA RIDER and Paul, I am having a terrible time locating the original Zodiac wheels. I am not finding them, most places are telling me 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Which means? We are long already in France with no wheels and possibly no boat. What to do now? I am definitely not using these truck wheels they sent me. Its ridiculous that they sent such huge wheels knowing the boat is a small boat. I had seen these mosters on the 5 meter Futura boat, why did they send these to me? Its a horror dealing with this company. their name is Pieper never buy from them, even Zodiac said their service stinks. Even the owner of the company said their service stinks and he knows it but their prices are cheaper, can you believe this?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Launching wheels do help in in/out water maneouvers, personally don't use them, find them too bulky and horrible to see them risen on transom when boating. Meanwhile, on calm waters you can place 3/4 or more sib on water, rest transom area on shore, pivot the engine's swivel bracket and lock to full rest at max upper positon, place engine on transom, secure clamp screws, load your sib and crew, row sib fully in to water, once sib is floating, lower and lock engine to cruise position, start and out you go. If in a river with not that strong current, position sib on water paralell to river bank, hold bow d'ring against water flow, install engine same way, load, start and out you go.

If it's not a big issue getting a little wet specially during summer, position sib way into sea or river deep enough with the engine's swivel bracket set fully down to mount on to transom so to leave a proper space between leg and sea/river bed. No one was born with boating experience, it's a learning curve issue. You can make it under a 1/2 day practice to know what you are doing. See if there's another experienced inflatable boater next to you who can help advising your initial set up, that would be ideal. Once all on board practice some steering directions while throttleling with steering handle.

Go slow untill you are familiar with what sib does and give more throttle while you are more confident on what you are doing. Anyway that engine is vary basic, so would not recommend to go over 3/4 throttle, will have exvesive water drag under sib with unpleasent bow rise. Sometines it's better to throttle enough so to have tubes paralell to ocean level, will have less water drag, mantain horizontal bow, save some fuel with less engine demand for power and have good times, anyway you must perform the break in engine procedure; so, you don't intend to go over 300 meters from shore, or once experienced you'll do, and surely will :D

Air mat sibs, have a lower bottom fabric, you do not rest on top air mat as some would assume. How about buying original launch wheels if France ? Don't know if it's same size for all models, probably big sib wheels is same for smaller versions, check. Some launching pics...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Launching-1.JPG
    Launching-1.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Launching-4.JPG
    Launching-4.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Launching-3.JPG
    Launching-3.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Launching-2.JPG
    Launching-2.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

paulpost

Banned

SEA RIDER and Paul, I am having a terrible time locating the original Zodiac wheels. I am not finding them, most places are telling me 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Which means? We are long already in France with no wheels and possibly no boat. What to do now? I am definitely not using these truck wheels they sent me. Its ridiculous that they sent such huge wheels knowing the boat is a small boat. I had seen these mosters on the 5 meter Futura boat, why did they send these to me? Its a horror dealing with this company. their name is Pieper never buy from them, even Zodiac said their service stinks. Even the owner of the company said their service stinks and he knows it but their prices are cheaper, can you believe this?
OK do not panic sometimes if you have the wheels or not will make no difference if you have a relay rocky shore line . If will gonna be just you and your husband just inflate the boat put in the boards and take it to the water edge no more than knee deep. secure the boat with one of your anchors or tie it up to whatever (boulder pillar etc. ) get a 4 to 5 feet of 2/4 attach to the engine one of you on each side and take it to the boat lean it against the transom remove the 2/4 and slide it to fit the transom tide the vises secure them bring the fuel tank and the rest of stuff and you are in business. Now this is very important for you to pay attention especially you are a girl don't take me wrong my intention is to make you as comfortable as possible because I respect and and appreciate you endeavor when boating (sorry) is still a men's world.
Now when you are in the boat and on the way keep in mind that a tiler governing is the opposite of a steering wheel governing, in other words when you push the tiler to the right the boat will go to the left and tiler to left boat to right . It sound simple but believe me can create confusion .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Paul you can place almost any one piece plastic, rubber, carpet like material, just make sure it's slighty thick for better overall mat protection and not become slippery when wet or you will have troubles...

Happy Boating

paulpost

Banned

Sea Rider you are a gem (you know a precious stone) not many of this forum posters know or willing to share theier knoledge. anyhow we have you and please do not give up on us. As you can see there are a lot to be shared and experince so be exposed. be a god father have mercy on us, (just kiding)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sea Rider you are a gem (you know a precious stone) not many of this forum posters know or willing to share theier knoledge. anyhow we have you and please do not give up on us. As you can see there are a lot to be shared and experince so be exposed. be a god father have mercy on us, (just kiding)

LOL, thanks for the flowers...it's all based on constant trial & error experimentation, as it should be...

Happy Boating