My boat sank, part II

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Apparently my last post was removed because of profanity, though to be fair if there's ever a time to use profanity it's when your boat gets knocked off a lift, deposited on a jetty, and swamped, and then you get a speeding ticket returning from walmart. But we'll keep it civilized this go round. I did see everyone's responses prior to the takedown, so thank you for those.

My original post from last night:
"Had the last of hurricane Ida just blow through. My boat was high on the new lift. Unfortunately, the control box for the lift apparently got taken by the wind, one of the switches was turned on, and dumped the boat. Washed up on the shore, completely swamped. Just found it, it's high tide now. Nothing I can do. Going to wait till tide goes out in an hour or 2 and drain it. Then I'll have to wait for the tide to come back in before I can attempt to free it. Engine was completely under water (brackish). Fortunately, from what I can see the boat didn't take any structural damage (though that's a huge asterisk at this point). Any chance to salvage the engine? Next steps?"

The wind continued to blow today, and was blowing against the tide, so it was still very rough but the tide never came in enough to float the boat. So I'm going to wait for the next high tide tonight (midnight) to try to get it off the beach. Otherwise I'll start digging it out tomorrow.

I got back out there at 5am this morning, and was able to get the boat off the jetty and mostly bailed out and righted (the port side was about 1-2 feet higher on the jetty, and the starboard side was buried in the sand).

What I've done today so far:

1. Drained the "oil". I got about 2 gallons of first water, then oily water. Refilled (only took 2 qt), waited, and drained again. Very little water, and then clean oil.
2. Pulled plugs, pulled carb, sucked water out of the intake ports, put a couple of oz of 2 stroke oil into each port, turned engine by hand (easy), expelled water, repeated.
3. Finished draining boat. There was still a lot of water in there.
4. Removed dizzy cap and rotor, it was damp in there but not soaked. Probably going to replace the ignition sensor.
5. Wiring. Oy. All the fat positive connections burned off. Battery to starter, both ends of alt wire, the other pos alt wire, red/purple off the slave, red off my fuel pump relay. Cannon connector had corrosion on the red wire. I think that's it. Going to make it tough to get it started, which I won't have a chance to do until tomorrow afternoon. I have a spare helm wiring harness from the donor boat, and I have at least 3 engines sitting around with harnesses. I'll replace all that after I hopefully get it running.

I should have at least got the water out of the pots, oil in the cylinders, and clean oil in the bottom end. I'd like to at least turn it over a bit with the starter to get some oil to the valve train, but I'll do what I can.

Debating fixing enough wiring to turn it over tonight. Think I'll do that. I think I can remove the starter, there's limited access but I can reach the bolts. I'll replace that and the alt before we go back to prime time. I'll deal with the fuel system later. Will pull the drive and see how that's looking. Not sure I can do anything with the gimbal, it's permalube.

Warning: NSFW photos/video

IMG_20210902_000637.jpgIMG_20210902_001336.jpgIMG_20210902_001327.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
eeeeewww,.... Boy, that sucks,...... Sorry to hear it,..... Ida blew through here last night/ today,.....
Lotsa rain, that we need, winds not to bad here, heard it was abit worse on the coast,.....

If you change the starter, battery, 'n cables, you can crank it over by jumperin' the red/ yellow wire terminal,....
Not as good as Runnin', but it'll slosh the fresh oil around,....

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Cleaned up the battery terminals, replaced some wires. Charged the battery, for some reason it seems ok. Actually managed to get power to the helm (full voltage even) and was able to get her to spin using the key. Pretty hesitant at first, but picked up speed. OP gauge reading 50 psi at the end, so must have been turning pretty good. If this thing is salvageable, I'll buy everyone on this thread a lottery ticket. Wind still coming against the tide, though settled down some. Next high tide is at midnight, I'm going to see if I can float her by the light of the moon. Otherwise I'm going to get out there in the AM and start digging, maybe get a pressure washer under there to get rid of some sand. Should have some reinforcements tomorrow. Going to give the carb a quick once over tonight, now trying to decide whether to try to start her tomorrow in the am if I can't free her tonight, or wait to pull the outdrive.

Oh, forgot to mention remarkably little structural damage. I have no idea how. Lost a bit of gelcoat on the corner, the metal bow rub strip trim broke, and I got a new crack coming from an old crack on the side windshield. Really, I don't understand how that's possible.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get the motor hot wired and start it

Scott06

Admiral
Don’t recall seeing profanity in previous post, but i like profanity so may not have noticed…At any rate same comments from all. Good luck and get her running asap, then change oil until it stays clean

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you’re determined and will follow thru on what needs to be done…we’re all hoping for a positive outcome

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, that was a giant fail. Tide rolled in, but the boat is higher on the beach than I realized; there's a high spot right at the jetty, and the boat is on that. The water's only getting a couple of inches up the stern. It isn't budging. Also realized I can't start the boat even if I wanted to--outdrive is fully up and out of the water. I'm exhausted, only 1.5 hours sleep since this whole thing began. I think I need to dig out from under the boat somehow, not just behind it. I could tie a rope to the ski eye and try to tow it off the beach with the skiff, but that seems like I'm liable to break something. Pressure washer is the best thing I can come up with ATM. Suggestions welcome. Next high tide 1pm tomorrow. Saturday there'll be a ton of people around, and we could probably move it with enough people. Really want to get after it before then though.

las

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry to hear about your boat.
I would get it started if even for just a few seconds to get oil circulated and cylinders cleared, then worry about impeller damage before sailing it. Well maybe for a bit more than a few seconds.
It's important to get it started as soon as possible

How about some rollers under the keel? Maybe some 3" or 4" diameter pieces of PVC pipe a few fee long each. The PVC should help it slide nice. Is the bow facing land or water? Did we just have a moon tide recently? That may also have contributed to the shorter high tides now, aside from the storm surge.

kenny nunez

Captain
Mike I can feel your pain, at least the boat is still upright and you should be able to re float it. I am sure you will be able to bet it back running again.
The local images around here show a lot of boats that are either sideways on the bottom or just on the bottom.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
This is why I like my salt water mooring, yes you have to deal with bottom paint and painting the drive/transom mount but compared to docks & lifts I feel that as long as your ground tackle is adequate it is the safest in any kind of storm situation unless you pull the boat. I have a 250 lb mooring for a 3,000 lb boat. It’s been out there in numerous tropical storms over the years.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
This is why I like my salt water mooring, yes you have to deal with bottom paint and painting the drive/transom mount but compared to docks & lifts I feel that as long as your ground tackle is adequate it is the safest in any kind of storm situation unless you pull the boat. I have a 250 lb mooring for a 3,000 lb boat. It’s been out there in numerous tropical storms over the years.
I have too...but when I'm not there I don't like leaving it on the mooring in unprotected water. And this was purely my own stupidity from my own design.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry to hear about your disaster. At least you are healthy and safe.

I guess you can't get a 4x4 with a trailer onto that beach. Maybe tip the trailer tongue up or make some type of slippery ramp to winch it onto the trailer. Some plywood under the trailer wheels so they don't sink in the sand. But, I guess you thought of this or it's not possible.

Good luck, get some help and please be safe. My late Uncle used to say "many hands make light work".

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If anyone has a roller trailer and a truck or Jeep with a front hitch on it that would be one possible way to get it off. They launch boats from the beach that way in Australia

flashback

Captain
Maybe you could use a trash pump to dig it out? At least a hole for the drive so you could start it. Best of luck man, Finding a trash pump in NOLA would probably be very hard at the moment..

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, we're off!
The tide actually came in much higher than last night. Apparently the tide predictions are as reliable as the wind. Me and another guy were able to just push it off with little drama (actually, the drama was when the bilge started filling up until I realized it was all the water trapped on the starboard side).

I did get it running, although it's running like crap. Took me a minute to figure out that the choke needs to be fully closed for it to run at all. Ran it for about 10 minutes using the choke as the throttle at about 1500 rpm. At least no funny noises, maybe occasional miss but the vacuum stayed steady.

The carb looked clean with little water in it last night, but I probably should have done a more thorough cleaning.

But it's a start.

Trying to find someone to tow me to the ramp so I can pull the drive and change the oil. Might be tight to get it all done tonight, but that 10 min run time made me feel better.

IMG_20210903_163442.jpg

Scott06

Admiral
Well, we're off!
The tide actually came in much higher than last night. Apparently the tide predictions are as reliable as the wind. Me and another guy were able to just push it off with little drama (actually, the drama was when the bilge started filling up until I realized it was all the water trapped on the starboard side).

I did get it running, although it's running like crap. Took me a minute to figure out that the choke needs to be fully closed for it to run at all. Ran it for about 10 minutes using the choke as the throttle at about 1500 rpm. At least no funny noises, maybe occasional miss but the vacuum stayed steady.

The carb looked clean with little water in it last night, but I probably should have done a more thorough cleaning.

But it's a start.

Trying to find someone to tow me to the ramp so I can pull the drive and change the oil. Might be tight to get it all done tonight, but that 10 min run time made me feel better.

View attachment 349071
Great news hope it goes well and can be saved

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Great news

Pull the starter and alternator and pull them apart. Hose down with WD40. You can save them

Wring harness may have issues in a few years