My ArenaCraft

Denning

Seaman Apprentice
Re: My ArenaCraft

My kids love mine too, although my wife is beginning to refer to it as "the other woman"... She has yet to have gone out on thee water with me, except for on the pontoon boat.

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I let my wife drive the boat all the time now can't keep her out now!

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

How difficult is it to remove the windshield?

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should have easy access to the nuts under the dash. The bolts might be a little rusted depending on your boat. un-do the nuts and bolts and it should just lift off. Then go but some new stainless screws to fill the holes. I might have a closer picture of mine. Zet

The screws in the windshild stay in a track on the windshiled don't try to remove the screws from the windshiels just undo the nuts and lift off..hopefully its no seal down or stuck..I wounld'nt force it or cut vents into it myself. Only draw back is when you are whiping the kids on the tow tube you might get a wave over the side or bow and get a lap full of water. Thats where I usually have my beer and it gets swamped too. I am going to have Taps Plastics form me a little spoiler on day to prevent this. Kinda like the one on this boat:

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

I notice you don't have a stereo or anything mounted under the dash. What do you do for tunes?

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

I built a freestanding (or sitting) stereo box with AM/FM/CD Player and covered it with the same carpet that we put in the boat last year. I have two speakers under the front seats and two in the back. I mounted a rubber antenna to the back of the box, so I didn't have to compromise the deck of the boat anymore than I already had with the horns.

The box also has an iPod adapter on the side and beer holders on each side. It matches the floor of the boat, but I can remove it if need be.

If you're interested, I'll take a better picture of it (after it gets home from the shop) in the event you want to duplicate it...

Attachments

• IMG_4339b.jpg
    IMG_4339b.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your going to laugh..my dad had an AM radio from a 60's Buick or something mounted under the front seat. For years and I mean several years thats all we had in the boat. We listen mostly to ball games football/baseball when on the water. I took that out, it only weight about 20#'s. We just listen to Ipods now on external speakers. I noticed the door to your bow is still on. I took mine off to get better access to stuff. Pretty much extra life jackets or float stuff. I carry an extra 2 gallons of gas in there too. and yes I would like extra pictures of you radio box

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

You know, that sounds like a great idea to take that stupid door off. I keep stuff (life jackets, etc.) in there, but it's a pain in the butt lifting that thing to get in there.

I'm going over to the shop to check on the boat today. I'll take my camera.

Last edited:

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Zet,

Here's a very rough drawing of my entertainment center. It's made of 1/4" Ply and is freestanding so it can be unplugged and removed.

It's been raining here most of the morning, so I'll get over to the shop and get some pictures this afternoon...

Den

Attachments

• n745119460_606116_6003.jpg
    n745119460_606116_6003.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

How many posts do I have to make to get upgraded from Cadet status?

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Zet,

I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements. I had some scrap 1/4" plywood when I made the box and I was just kind of winging it, but you can get the general idea.

I basically bought an inexpensive (but not to cheap) car stereo at Walmart and built around it. The important thing is to have the Radio dials high enough to clear the seats, without getting in the way. As I remember, it was about 11" or 12" vertically to the bottom of the radio panel...

I have one of those radios that you can remove the front panel, so forgive the bareness...

Den

Attachments

• n745119460_607099_2126.jpg
    n745119460_607099_2126.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • n745119460_607100_2522.jpg
    n745119460_607100_2522.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Zet,

I haven't looked that closely, but how hard is it to remove the door to the bow?

Den

Here are a couple of photos. This happens to be the day I toasted the engine.

BoatResto018.jpg

BoatResto020.jpg

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Wow Bill...

What a great boat! What is the length?... Get the engine back in order and get a teak deck for the back of it and you're in business... Any stereo questions, refer to my conversations with Zet...

Den

Thanks
No stereo yet. I like what you did with yours, thats slick.
I found a swim step the other day and just missed it. It was a little long and I would need to modify it to fit anyhow.
I cant wait to get it back on the water. I really cant decide on which engine though. Rebuild the 289? Go 302? Or i'm really leaning toward a 351. You guys got input?? I want it to be faster than most people think. A sleeper.
It's 18'. I went out and measured last night. I guess that confirms it's a bonito right?

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Bill,

I think I'd go with the 302 if I were you. If you up grade too much, you could end up having to change out the whole transmission to prop (as I understand it). On the other hand, if you can get a 351 in there with out having to change out the prop, it could work. Just keep in mind that a bigger engine doesn't neccessarily mean much more speed, just more rpms and posible cavitation...

Or spend the money and upgrade to the larger prop. That's what I'm thinking about doing at a later date.

Den

What size prop are you looking for? I have a friend that owns a boat yard and he has two full walls of props. I can see if he has it.

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

Also, keep in mind that, if you go with a larger engine & prop on an 18' boat with the driver's seat on the left side (as with an ArenaCraft) the torque will push your boat to a constant leftward tilt... Unless you have a counter-balance (like a heavier passenger) in the passenger seat...

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure what size prop you would need, but if you call a Nautique Dealer, I would bet that they have some kind of conversion chart...

Last edited:

Denning

Seaman Apprentice

As far as me upgrading the propdrive on my boat, when that time comes, I'll just let the guy who's been working on it for me make that call... But he said I'll have to change out my transmission when I do...

Last edited: