My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Thanks Troop. Something else Ive been wondering......ive seen guys having trouble with bubbles in the their glass when capping the stringers. why not use a 1/8 or 1/4 round bit in a router and take the sharp edge off?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

yep you need to round off the square corners, makes life much easier!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A little progress today.....I figure I wont have too many nice weekends left, so i decided to clean out the garage, build a cradle, move the hull into the third bay.....

Neighbor helped lift it off and flip.....

IMG_20131013_133536_367_zps2aa3619c.jpg

Also helped bring it around front and set it on the cradle.....

IMG_20131013_143659_275_zpsc284b674.jpg

IMG_20131013_143643_170_zpsebb20fc5.jpg

This will be a pain in the "Bleep", its a bit crowded, but it will work.....Jen will have to park outside on the weekends!!!! After it was all said and done today, I wish I had put wheels under the cradle like Ive seen in other restorations.....Oh well, its not too late.....

I did manage to get some of the plywood ruff cut for the transom and fuel cell floor......Now they are resting on the concrete floor weighted down to take and bowing out of them.....

IMG_20131013_120659_836_zps0b24f2fb.jpg

IMG_20131013_122956_001_zps200985ab.jpg

Thats it for today.....I do believe that I will be partaking in a brown water -n- Coke or two.....and a bit of football!!

Hope you all have a great rest of your weekend and a short week!!!!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks good, but I'm thinking you might want to add another support or two in the middle. Also the casters are worth their weight in gold, its nice to be able to puts it outside for a bath or grinding.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Looks good, but I'm thinking you might want to add another support or two in the middle. Also the casters are worth their weight in gold, its nice to be able to puts it outside for a bath or grinding.
I agree with you and it isn't too late to add em either. Call harbor Freight and get em ordered, jack up the front , add em there, then do the back, you wont regret it!! I bet you could sell the cradle if you really wanted to after your finished!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gents, thanks for the input....I agree, I will be redoing the cradle this weekend.......with wheels!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A little progress today.....re-worked the cradle, added some wheels, and a center brace....much better now.

IMG_20131020_125722_356_zps50572240.jpg

started fitting the fuel cell floor today as well...

IMG_20131020_141608_268_zpsec6a92de.jpg

IMG_20131020_143305_162_zpse5111f96.jpg
Question: on the edges of any wood (stringers, transom, fuel cell floor, etc.) that interface the hull, should I bevel them to fit the hull? I understand that I need to have some gap between them, buy is it better to match the contour?

Also split a rick of fire wood today.....I know, not true with out pix, so here!!!

IMG_20131020_160211_569_zpsc7522e76.jpg

All, have a great rest of your weekend.....

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Cradle looks a lot better, nice work...
On your question about the bottom edge of your bulkheads...
The closer to the contour of the hull, the less PB you will need to use to "glue" them down...But absolute perfection is not necessary...
Easing the edges a little will create a nice cove for the PB to "grab" into...
Also make sure you round over the tops a bit to make wrapping with the CSM and 1708 easier...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

GT is right, get it close and fill in the gap. The cradle is looking a lot better, just remember that thing will be what shapes the hull. I didn't know you guys had trees in KS, lol. I took a 3'-6 " pecan trunk to the saw mill Friday, so no jokes about OK trees, lol!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Gents!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok Gents, getting ready to make my order of glass supplies, need help figuring out how much of what....

1.05 matt ???
resin/catalyst
any thing else???

I want to put a layer of 1708 over the inside of the hull, then layer the transom, stringers, fuel cell floor and deck. (deck is only actually 1/3 length of the hull (17 ft))

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

This is a really good guide to figuring out how much resin you need. I buy all my glass supplies from them.

http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/the-68/Fiberglass-Information%2C-and-How/Detail

buy lots of nitrile gloves.....only thing I have ever found at harbor freight that was worth the money. I also buy lots of quart and pint mixing cups at home depot...the plastic ones. If you have extra resin, let it harden in them, you just pop it out and the cup is clean again. bubble buster roller is really handy....lots of the cheap disposable brushes, 1.5" work well. Some of the guys on here use rollers, haven't done that but it looks handy in a big layup. Packing tape, put it on anything you don't want glass to stick to....works great! lots of acetone, rags and a good respirator.....I'm sure I am forgetting something....:D

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey there Corjen1. I just spent some time reading through your thread. I would just like to say that your Glastron is dang cool! Your thread has been very informative toward the process that I soon face. It seems as though you have some guys with real experience helping out too. Your throwing out some great questions which in turn generate great answers. Great pics too. I have learned a lot from reading it. Thank you and everyone involved.
I recently picked up a 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat and ran it for the summer trying to get the motor into a bit better shape and doing a lot of fishing. I had planned on working through the boat itself too, but on a much smaller scale than what your up to right now. I found some cracks right where my motor mounts up to the transom so I drilled a few small holes for core samples and the came out rotted. So I have to do a complete rebuild and I'm looking forward to it.
I just now got moving a bit on mine and I would like to follow along if you dont mind.
Once again, dang cool Glastron. I really like the the long bow. That Glastron looks like it came right from some old Sci-Fi movie. I can't wait to see it finished. I think it's gonna turn a lot of heads. Your doing a great job on it in my opinion. Make her shine man!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Arch, thank you for the link!!! Exactly what I needed. Very much appreciated.

Maryhannaj, thanks for the comments! You are more than welcome to go along for this ride!! Everybody here is very helpful and have been a great source for keeping me out of trouble and on the right path!!

Even tho we have a buy week......BOOMER SOONER!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, Ive been pondering beefing up the transom to stringer interface......I figure a 115 hp outboard in 1968 is a ton different than a more modern motor. ( read.... mercury tower of power 115)

Ive been thinking about adding a "knee" from the transom to stringers, in order to give a larger surface to transfer the power into stringers.....

I have the room in the under splash well area to accommodate them.....figured I would run it by you guys to see if its worth the trouble, necessary or even beneficial......

Ok, dont laugh at my highly technical diagram here, but this is what I had in mind. " Not to scale" (haha)

IMG_20131102_195130_871_zpsd2b70663.jpg

What do you think, all comments welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont see a problem with the knees. It should make for a stiffer stronger structure with neglable extra weight. Just make sure the knees dont interfere with the splashwell.

If you can swing the price, epoxy is much stronger than poly and doesnt stink up the place. Its what I used to rebuild my glastron.

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I think you're gonna have to explain the boomer sooner thing to me. As for your idea with the knee, I planned to do the same thing with mine. Only my plan was more along the line of a sideways roman arch. I will have to mod my splashwell to do it but I'm hoping that it will help absorb the torque from the motor in both directions. Meaning the top of the motor mount wants to pull back as the bottom of the motor mount wants to drive forward.
I'm no engineer or anything like that, but it seems to me that if you stiffen one point of the structure, the energy from the torque of the motor will still find it's way to the weakest point of it's mounting surface unless you try and just reinforce the whole mounting surface. That way, you would still acheive your added strength but at the same time, distribute the strenght as evenly as possible.
Just thought I would share my idea.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Got ya now jbcurt00. So what is meant by, even though we have a buy week... ? Maybe just a typ-o on the "buy" then?