Mounting swim platform bracket over trim-tab mount

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
I am finishing up the install of a swim platform on our cobalt. I need to mount the two support tubes and the perfect mounting location would use one of the screws one the trim tabs. I would be able to through bolt it and there is a metal backing plate as well. There would be two bolts holding the tube to the transom so all the weight would not be on only one bolt.

If I through bolt and mount it right over the trim tab mount is that going to create a problem? I will be going to a larger bolt to compensate for the additional stress on that location.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mounting swim platform bracket over trim-tab mount

Seams to me that so long as it dosen't interfere with the tabs up/down travel or put added stress on the tab it shouldn't be a problem. Just be careful using the platform as someone could get cut on the tab with it being under the platform.

red

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Seams to me that so long as it dosen't interfere with the tabs up/down travel or put added stress on the tab it shouldn't be a problem. Just be careful using the platform as someone could get cut on the tab with it being under the platform.

red

The tab is way under the platform and inside the tunnel where the drive sits. I have to assume it will put some stress on the hole, but nothing on the tab. I figured with plenty of 4200 and through bolting it with a spacer plate for the other hole, we should be good to go.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Would love to see a pic. Have done many a swim platform with tab interferance issues, just would like to see what you have...