Motorcylce helmet laws

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Motorcylce helmet laws

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> for those of you who don't think you should need to wear helmets.... do you also think it's wrong for the uscg or state to dictate all the safety requirements needed on your boat? no troll here, but isn't it the same thing? if i'm following the logic here, then you believe you don't need life vests onboard, correct?
You have to have them onboard, but the adults don't have to wear them.

mattttt25

Commander

correct. but doesn't the same logic apply? "how dare the coast guard force me to buy life vests and keep them on my boat." just want to know what i'm missing. i've never heard anyone complain about that.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br />I will not kill you by taking off my helmet
On the contrary, I've been hit with small rocks in my facemask that actually made my head move backwards. I'm thinking if i was hit with a rock, I'd jeopardize not only myself but anyone I would potentially run into.<br /><br />Sean

Ahles

Recruit

I am very torn on this debate. I hate to wear a helmet but I know the statistics clearly show that they increase your chances of surviving an accident. <br /><br />The next point about being older or more experienced to ride doesn't make much sense. Usually it is NOT the riders fault it is a driver of a vehicle that doesnt see the rider. <br /><br />Go to http://www.trader4less.com/2005/03/european-crash-study.html to read about the comprehensive study about motorcycle crashes in Europe.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> correct. but doesn't the same logic apply? "how dare the coast guard force me to buy life vests and keep them on my boat." just want to know what i'm missing. i've never heard anyone complain about that.
Good point and taken that way. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by eeboater:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br />I will not kill you by taking off my helmet
On the contrary, I've been hit with small rocks in my facemask that actually made my head move backwards. I'm thinking if i was hit with a rock, I'd jeopardize not only myself but anyone I would potentially run into.<br /><br />Sean
Oh you missed my point or I said it wrong, I meant it was my choice to hurt/kill myself by not wearing them. Sorry. :(

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br />Oh you missed my point or I said it wrong, I meant it was my choice to hurt/kill myself by not wearing them. Sorry. :(
Yep! I was confused! :D <br /><br />Sorry bout that!<br /><br />Sean

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Now this was the kind of dialogue I was looking for. You guys are great! We have opinions both ways, but open minds too. Thanks! :) <br />In Michigan our MC laws are kind of screwed up anyway. We must carry insance with no-fault liability for property damage and personal injury. But neither covers the operator. We must purchase medical separately. We must pay into the MCCA (Mich. Catastrophic Claims Admin.)<br />How this works is under no-fault, the ins. cos. must cover 100% of our medical bills with an unlimited ceiling. Last I knew the limit for the ins. co. was $250,000, then the MCCA kicked in and covered the rest. With the motorcycle, I must pay an MCCA assessment and will never collect on that from the bike. Now if I am involved in an accident involving a motor vehicle, then my automobile ins. covers my medical. No auto ins. no medical coverage. Kind screwy huh?<br />I agree that the chances for survival are less without a helmet and therefore a dead person costs less. But what about my wife's friends' accident? Riding down a city street about 25mph, a van pulled out in front of them, and BAM! they sideswiped the van. Naturally the bike went down, but not before the husband steered away from the van and hit the curb. The wife was thrown from the bike and landed in the parking lot about 5' away, hitting her head on the pavement. She was sore and stiff but back at work the next week. Her hubby was off a little longer with a broken leg from hitting between the bike and van. This accident probably would not have been fatal bucket-less, but the injuries would have been much worse.<br />As for not hurting anybody else, what about the son in this story, the hubby was the step-dad. Dad died of cancer shortly after the accident. What about the emotional injuries to those left behind? I agree it should be your choice, but too few consider all aspects. <br />Every time I ride I mentally prepare myself that I may not come home. Last year the first three times I went out, I almost got creamed, and only once was even remotely my fault. Once the lady looked right at me and still merged into my lane, with on-coming traffic. I've ridden in my alley without a bucket, and I didn’t like it. Maybe because I've never know anything else. <br /><br />I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and I've modified my opinion a little. I still will never ride without a full faced helmet that is SNELL approved. But that is MY choice, albeit still the law.<br /><br />Thanks again. :) :) :) :)

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Helmets for adults should not be mandated by the gov't. Give a ride to a youth, ok, mandate the helmet on the youth and hold the adult responsible if not. Same for seat belts. Statistics, who died, why, preventable, blah, blah makes no diffence to anyone but the insurance lobby, thus the helmet and seat belt laws. By the way it is dangerous to ride a MC with or without a helmet, may outlaw these next if the insurance lobby thinks they can get away with it.

aspeck

Staff member

Mattt, to answer your question about the life vests, I think it is good to have them, but don't make me wear them. Just as I think it is good to have a helmet. Got a couple of full face shields myself, and most of the time I wear them. When there is a rider behind me, they will always have one on. Guess it just comes down to common sense, and how much of it each of us have. Notice all KNOW that helmets make it safer, but some prefer the feel of the open road. All KNOW it is safer to wear life vests, but some say they are too hot, cumbersome, what have you.<br /><br />In the end it comes down to how much power should the goberment have over our lives, and how much should we take personal responsibility for? I think if the goberment didn't try to control so many people, more people might be able to think for themselves.<br /><br />By the way, I always went trail riding WITHOUT a helmet. Now that I am a husband and father, the lid always goes on.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Life vests are required to be on board, just like seat belts are required to be installed on cars.<br /><br />The coast guard doenst make you wear the life vest, they just make that option available. The seat belt option is available to all passengers in a car. IMO, The govt should not make you wear the seat belt either.<br /><br />Perhaps the govt should require motorcycles to carry a helmet, but not require them to wear it.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

NO HELMET=NO BRAIN.<br /><br />Why? It's (brain) on the side of the road.<br /><br />I don't care myself. <br /><br />You have to realize that you are an organ donor, automatically, without a helmet.<br /><br />If one wants to ride without one, one should be willing to give up ALL lawsuit rights.<br /><br />A LAW-no. Common sense-yes.<br /><br />But, Washington is pretty convinced that we (public) cannot exhibit much common sense, anymore.<br /><br />That's about the ONLY thing the politicians are right about.

demsvmejm

I've noticed a substantially common opinion that children should be required to wear a helmet/seatbelt, but not the adult. Why? What makes the child any different? And the comment of common sense has come up. Society as a whole seems to have zip common sense. We as a society seem to want to take no responsibility for our actions and blame the government when it steps in. I agree with the sentiment of eliminating all litigation rights for those who want to be stupid, in principle. But what if the action causing the accident was clearly and maliciously intentional? Then there should be some culpability on the part of the malicious party.<br />But really, I do tend to agree with the "Let them chose" camp. I do not agree with many of the lame arguments they use. If they want to kill themselves and have considered all those they leave behind and still don't care, then let God sort them out.<br />Natural selection is generally the weak and the sick. But with humans it is also the STUPID.<br /><br />I am enjoying the continuing open-minded dialogue. Thank you all.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's a different perspective from outside the US.<br /><br />It doesn't matter how good a driver or rider you are, you can still get hit by other vehicles.<br /><br />Helmets have been mandatory for motor bike and push (pedal) bike riders for years here, as have seat belts for all occupants in cars. The stats show they've had a huge impact in reducing injuries and deaths. <br /><br />You hardly ever see a biker without a helmet here. The ones you do are usually unlicensed kids on unregistered bikes they shouldn't be riding in the street. Even the outlaw bikers here generally wear them.<br /><br />I started driving before seat belts became mandatory in the early '70's. I had all the usual impassioned debates with mates and others about what happens if you're trapped in a fire or under water or whatever. Facts are that they'll save thousands for every one they trap. Everyone I know feels naked without one now, as I do. Even if they were optional everyone I know would still use them. We also don't kill people with airbags because ours are less explosive and smaller than the US ones because they're a secondary restraint system for people who are already strapped in. Most people here are annoyed, to the extent of calling police at times, when they see unrestrained kids in a car because we know they're being put at risk by irresponsible parents. <br /><br />My kids don't get on push bike without a helmet and most others don't either.<br /><br />In my state it'll be mandatory to wear PFD 1's on board any boat under 4.8 metres (about 16') from 1 July this year. After nearly falling out of a boat when alone with no jacket in a fast tide where I probably couldn't have got back to the anchored boat, I've always worn mine when alone or with the kids to set an example as I make them wear theirs. The changes won't affect me. <br /><br />We had the arguments you're having thirty or more years ago, but in the end I think most people here prefer the course we've taken. Some people have to be protected from themselves. People don't want to be paying two or three times our compulsory motor vehicle injury insurance to compensate people who won't take reasonable steps for their own safety. Limited hospital and rehab facilities shouldn't be taken for avoidable road injuries which often require very long term care. Taxes shouldn't have to go up to support the families who've lost breadwinners through avoidable injuries or deaths. <br /><br />If people don't want to wear helmets or seatbelts or lifejackets they should have dog tags endorsed: "I'm a thrill seeker. Do not render assistance. Do not call emergency services. Do not take me to a hospital. Do not support my family. If I don't care about myself or my family, why should you?"

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br /> I've noticed a substantially common opinion that children should be required to wear a helmet/seatbelt, but not the adult. Why? What makes the child any different? Thank you all.
When they were younger, my kids used to ask me similar questions. <br /><br />I'd often tell them, "Well,,, There's a big difference between age 14 and 18, or 21. Right now, 'such and such'-- like buying a handgun, voting, taking out a loan, etc. at this point in your life,,, this is just not a decision you get to make". <br /><br /><br />As far as kid helmet laws, child car seats, etc., I think it is the govt.'s way of trying to protect them from themselves, and/or foolish parents, in order to give them every chance they can under the circumstances, to grow up and be as un-crippled as possible.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Please let me persue my happiness by letting me choose what I want to do. If I want to be told what to do, how to do, and when to do, I will move to a communist country. <br /><br />Make people better drivers instead of idiot proofing vehicles so people don't get hurt. Put the responsibility into the operator. Way too many people are getting killed every year because they didn't follow the law or didn't keep control of their vehicle. <br /><br />The US averages 40 Thousand traffic fatalities each year. I would think that would be enough to wage war on bad drivers. The bad drivers kill more than what terrorists do in the country.

mattttt25

Commander

my final thoughts- i have no problem with the govt forcing people to use a little common sense. because like another poster said- majority of the country has little. i don't believe the bullsh*t conspiracy theorists. making you wear a helmet or carry a life vest is not going to lead to mind control by an ever powerful govt. sorry, can't make me believe it. i think it's a selfish act to disregard something so sensable. i'll wear my helmets, carry my life vests, and buckle my car seats because i love my family and friends. and i appreciate the govt helping me make these choices. i think your loved ones appreciate it as well.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

never crashed on the road .. but, I learned growing up out in the sticks twisting up more than my fair share of CR's, 3-wheelers and quads to know that "I" should be wearing one at all times..<br /><br />I do recall not wearing one on a few rides I've taken on the HD with out one and I was nervous about it the whole time.<br /><br />I plan to get another one sooner or later and I'll get another pair of helmets w/no hesitation

ehenry

Commander

Had it not been for mandatory helment laws here in Mississippi I may not have been able to sit here and type this note to all yall. I still believe that it should be up to the individual though as to wheather or not he wants to wear a helment.

demsvmejm

I guess my biggest concern about allowing the rider the choice is the arrogance I see in most of those(I DID NOT say all) who resist wearing helmets. There is no rational thought pattern or consideration for their loved ones. The pattern seems to be the government forces me to wear a helmet so all be damned I won't if I don't have to. Now I realize its human nature to resist and resent what we are forced to do.<br /><br />I am not referring to any one poster here. Please, no one take offense to my comments, as they are simply my observations regarding motorcyclists I observe. I can see their point in principle, but not in practice. <br /><br />Thanks again for all your input. THIS is a healthy dialogue. We aren't fighting or degrading others opinions. GREAT!!!!!