Motor mount bed angle

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
With all the discussions about motor mount beds and design, I have never seen any discussion on angle. Match transom angle or parallel to bilge bottom? I have always went parallel to bilge, curious if anyone has any input. Wondering if there is some binding in mounts if flat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is what shims are for and why the mount is semi-spherical.

the answer is yes. you can be parallel to the keel or perpendicular to the transom. that 15 degrees wont mater to most mounts

I myself like to mount the transom shield, hang and align the motor, then make the mounts parallel to the crank because the alignment is crank-centric and not related to the hull or transom. but that is just me.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
that is what shims are for and why the mount is semi-spherical.

the answer is yes. you can be parallel to the keel or perpendicular to the transom. that 15 degrees wont mater to most mounts

I myself like to mount the transom shield, hang and align the motor, then make the mounts parallel to the crank because the alignment is crank-centric and not related to the hull or transom. but that is just me.
Crank centric is the key I think. Never seen this addressed in any Mercruiser install manual either.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Crank centric is the key I think. Never seen this addressed in any Mercruiser install manual either.
because in the grand scheme of things, that is what the shims of wood under the mount does just before they drive the lag bolts in with a burb gun at 125psi of shop air.