Motor height....need some expert advice

shart111

Recruit
Re: Motor height....need some expert advice

How can I tell how long my lower unit is?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

With a yardstick...unless your a little fellow...then you use a ruler.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

measure from the cavitation plate to where the mounting bracket would sit on the transom. It should be either 20 (give or take a few) or 25...some motor are 15 too.

KCLOST

Commander

Might be on to something here. I looked up the tach and it has 4 6 and 12 pole setting on the back. The manual says that it may read incorrectly if the setting is wrong but never says what it should be? Anyone know what it should be set to?
It should be set at 6P for all Suzuki motors 75hp and up...<br /><br />There may also be a calibration adjustment on the guage, but confirm the setting before messing with that... A very small movement of that calibration adjustment will greatly change the rpm reading on the guage and you should use a Master Tachometer to truely measure the rpm to make adjustments.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I looked it up in my repair manual and it is set to 12 on the DT150/175/200. The tach in the boat now is the wrong one. So that is an issue. I ordered a new one from Browns Point this morning and should have it in a few days. I will then see what the actual rpms are and have a gauge to go by when selecting my new prop (if need be?) Thanks for the posting and I will let you know the results when I get it hooked up.<br /><br />I did put on and try a 4 blade prop this weekend...the one I was goign to sell. I figured I never tried it since the motor was moved up so i would give it a shot. Got another mph out of it but dropped 300 rpm. I will have to check out the actual readings when i get the new tach.<br /><br />4000 rpm (not right) @ 55mph<br /><br />I guess that mph is about right for a weighted down (batteries, gas, fishing stuff) boat and 2 well fed guys. I will update you guys soon with the correct tach readings. Thanks to all!!

KCLOST

Commander

I guess it depends on the guage what the setting should be...<br /><br />Most all "teleflex" style guages are set at 6P for V6's.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah KCLOST that is true. I guess the suzuki's are different though. I never knew it until all this stuff happened and I consulted a few people. The V6 suzuki make requires a 12 pole tach which a few people make but they all seem to be about the same price....around 100 bucks. <br /><br />Figures I would get the odd ball!! lol

KCLOST

Commander

Check out this link on Teleflex Tachs and the settings required for different motors...<br /><br />Your engine has 12 alternator poles but the switch "setting" on a teleflex tach should be at 6P.<br /><br /> Teleflex <br /><br />You'll need acrobat reader to view it...

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thanks for the info!! I could not find that before making my selection with the Suzuki tach for 100 bucks. I bet that one is cheaper. Oh well thanks for the info though.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well turns out I am a dumba$$....I got the tach and went to hook it up. It had the factory wire harness on it until I cut it off getting it ready to install. I took the old tach off (which seems to be a no name brand) and placed it on the bench. When I did that I notices on the back this tiny sticker....that had a bunch of numberson it and says in the middle 1-10P 2-12P 3-20P....I thought exellent I just wasted 100 bucks. The tach has a dial that says 1 2 3 4 on it but never gave direction to what they did (assumed cylinders) until I saw the sticker. So moral of the story....look very close at this stuff before blowing 100 bucks.....dont cut off wires or modify until your completly sure it needs to be replaced....and dont be a dumba$$!! LOL Well I will get it out tonight and let you all know the results of this nightmare. I should have acturate readings now!! I guess I have a no name tach for sale. lol

shep70057

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to hear that it worked out... be sure to let us know how it runs.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok here goes....drum roll please.<br /><br /><br />4900 @ 56.3 mph<br /><br />That was the best run with full gear, 1/2 tank (15 gallon tank), 2 guys, 2 batteries and the usual anchors etc. Full tournament rig you can say. So thats not bad I guess. Would you guys leave the prop be or change it? Running a 4 blade 13 3/4 x 26 Turbo 2+2.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

4900 @ 56.3 mph<br /><br />That's probably as good as you're going to get without adding some horsepower, or taking off about 400 pounds of weight.<br /><br />On my hydro, I'm running a stock 150 Merc. with a 26"Cleaver prop, but its only a 500 pound boat with one seat and no gear except the horn and fire extingiusher. The best I've got out of it so far is 77mph at 6000. It has a slip rate of about 2%. But even then, with the 26" prop, I can only get it up that many rpms by going against a slight wind that forces a little more air under the hull to lift a bit more of it out of the water. A 25" prop gets the rpm up a little, but not the speed before I run out of horsepower.<br /><br /><br />If you're always going to run with that much weight-- or a little more even, I'd drop down about 2 inches in pitch.<br /><br />I doubt if you'll gain much speed, but your holeshot will improve and the engine will be running pretty close to its WOT rpm without over-revving, and put you right up around 60mph----<br /><br />which is pretty good. And your prop slipage rate or ineficiency is right around 13% Which also is pretty good for a well loaded fishing boat. <br /><br /><br />Being proped like it is isn't bad, but its sort of like having real tall of a set of tires on a car that doesn't quite have enough horsepower to spin them. <br /><br /><br />All in all, you've done quite well. Getting that engine up out of the water helped a bunch. Water resistance sort of accumulates. The faster you go, the harder and harder it is to push out of the way. However much resitance there is at 20, may be double at 30, and perhaps 4 fold at 40. I've heard that a big fat 'fishing motor' lower unit accounts for more water drag than the hull in most cases. I'd guess raising that engine gave you about 10mph on the top end and cut your prop. slippage rate several %.

walleyehed

Admiral

You'll have a tuff time finding a better performing prop than the turbo........

KCLOST

Commander

26" of pitch is too much....<br />I'd run a 24 Trophy if I were you...<br /><br />Just my thoughts...

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 13 1/4 x 24 Suzuki prop (3 blade) Seems to gain 300 to 400 rpm and drops about 2 to 3 mph. Might try that one out when I get to run it again to see what the actual rpm is.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

14 1/4 x 24 I mean

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well here is an idea if anyone out there is interested.....since I like the 4 blade much better (gets the boat out of the water higher)....if anyone has a 13 3/4 x 24 or even 25 that they would want to trade for this 2+2 26" let me know. I would consider trading for something comparible. I have pics of mine and would require pics (obviously) if I were to consider it. I might be able to help someone else out while getting my engine in the correct range.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

prop.jpeg