Most 'mispelt' words in boat ads thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Most mispelt words in boat ads thread

Moters that want start, then loose rpms.

Preventative (for preventive) maintenance.

Philster

Captain

I want to meet this John guy who is responsible the john boat ads that I see. Although they are not as popular as Four Winds or boats powered by Evanrudes. How about center counsels?

sasto

Captain

Some that get me are not necessarily misspelling as is improper lingo. Hot water heater (it's really a cold water heater), rope (line), floor (sole), ceiling (overhead)......I know I'm off topic, cause I can't spell either!

cribber

Lieutenant

Not even sure what this fella is flogging...

Craigslist Ad

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Not even sure what this fella is flogging...

Craigslist Ad

Goshdarn it! My starter prooes just fell of the wahala valve and took the pitink airheateer with it. Anybody have a line on a good used starter prooes?

southkogs

Staff member

I've seen a lot of posts for trihaul boats. I'm guessing that's a boat that pulls three of "something."

Jeep Man

Commander

Separate...... not seperate
Firefox is a godsend.

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

"New 2011 Larson runabout ski boat, very nice boat, includes ( bemini ) top and trailer and ( warrantee )" And to think thats on a dealers ad on craigslist.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Most 'mispelt' words in boat ads thread

......Either meth head or inbred.

You find all kinds buying on Craigslist, I had a boat listed a while back, a guy came to look at it, gave me a deposit, and never showed back up, the phone number he gave me was no good and a month later he hadn't shown up again. I relisted it and sold it again. The original guy never came back.
I answered another ad last summer and had the guy tell me he didn't want to sell the boat. After I drove a hour to see it and most likely leave with it. He tells me he just wanted to see what it was worth. He's lucky I've mellowed out over the years. I was not a happy camper after driving an hour for nothing.

The best one was an ad I answered back in June, the ad read "Alluminium moter bote wit/trailor" with no pics.
I knew by the ad titleI was in for an experience, but curiosity got the better of me. There was no email contact, just a phone number. I called, asked what make boat it was and how long was it. He couldn't answer either question, when I asked where it was located he said it's in his back yard. It took me 10 minutes to get an address out him. I then simply asked what make was on the title, he for some reason couldn't do that. I told him that I'm not driving anywhere to look at some unknown boat being sold by someone too uncooperative to simply tell me what brand it is. ( I was nice and didn't make any comment to the ad, or the spelling, or inbreeding for that matter). At this point my opinion of the seller was dropping fast.

After another 10 minutes he finally says hold on I'll go look at the boat and see what make it is. He comes back on and says it's a Load Rite. I asked if he read that on the trailer, he said no, its written on the boats 'frame'.
A few simple questions later and I was pretty sure he was just clueless and not a scammer, so I took a ride.

The boat was not aluminum, it was lapstrake fiberglass, the only aluminum on it was the windshield frame and rub rail.
The trailer was fairly new, and the outboard looked decent although older. The boat turned out to be a rather decent looking old 15' Sea King, (which was obvious by the two huge name plates screwed to each side).

I asked if his $400 price was firm, he said he needed $75 to sign his kid up for something, I said then $75 does it, he said sold. He brings out the title, and the title is for a Dodge pickup. I tell the guy he's got the wrong title, he insists it's the title he got with the boat. I can see that the title matches his pickup parked right next to the boat. It took me another 15 minutes to convince him that the title he handed me was for his truck, not the boat. He finally goes back inside and after some loud squabbling with someone inside, he comes out with a pile of titles and says here, pick out the right one. I dug through the stack of about 40 titles and other personal papers he handed me and found the title for the boat. The stack included several birth certificates and other personal certificates or permits.

My guess was he nor his wife could read.

Seriously....These kind of stories boggle my mind. I guess I live a relatively sheltered life here in Wisconsin. Not that we don't have our share of yahoos here as well

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wow, I see a lot of incorrect spellings but consider poking fun at someone for it rude. I also feel many people do it intentionally, they are the people who need to be made fun of for knowing better and still doing it.

that said

It's not 'There boat', it's 'Their boat'.

Its not 'The boat over their' , 'It's The boat is over there'

And it's not 'Their going to the beach', It's 'They're going to the beach'.

and the one I notice most is tralor, trailor, traler,.

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

See lots of small boats listed here with a trolly moter

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

MY Favorite..............Trolley Motor

QC

Supreme Mariner

Funny, but I type in slang sometimes. Heck I use it verbally, so why not type when in a friendly environment as opposed to business. I use:

Prolly
Gonna
Wanna
Modulator (for Moderator)
Kinda
Whassup

Stuff like that. Maybe they make me look stupid? Dunno.

southkogs

Staff member

Funny, but I type in slang sometimes. Heck I use it verbally, so why not type when in a friendly environment as opposed to business. I use:

Prolly
Gonna
Wanna
Modulator (for Moderator)
Kinda
Whassup

Stuff like that. Maybe they make me look stupid? Dunno.

I do that in email quite a bit - I even do it in business emails when I want to sound kinda' relaxed. Though, I always show the apostrophe ( ' ) - I guess it makes the word look like sorta' like a real contraction.

If they make you look stupid QC, at least you have some company.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw an ad on Craigslist earlier this year when I was boat searching, I should have saved it...

The headline was "Old bat for sale $200"
The ad text said she was old, worn and a little leaky, but could give someone a good time with a little TLC...

Had a picture of an old 12'-14' aluminum with about a 15hp something on it...I half expected a picture of his wife..:)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I do that in email quite a bit - I even do it in business emails when I want to sound kinda' relaxed.
Yeah, I do it sometimes as well. Can be a way of indicating a strong relationship that doesn't require formality, so I mix in typed slang as well with the right people.

Sorry for the mini hijack, seemed relevant with the noting of "prolly".

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have no issue with deliberate misspelling, but my absolute fave: definate.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johnson/Evinrude forum today.........empella.

Status
Not open for further replies.