More Vaseline Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
OK, So I was surfing around IBOATS and kept noticing advice for grease and I was going to start questioning why no-one suggested VASELINE for certain jobs ( since it seems to be SO popular):rolleyes:
Anyway I thought we'd get some laughs and not derail good advice if it was here instead.

I'll start off with the question of greasing the coupler.....ooorrrr putting VASELINE in the cup instead.:D

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: More Vaseline Controversy

Oh boy, here we go!:eek: Another thread going south:p

Ball grease. The only way to go.:cool:

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I think Grease last longer but go fer it and let me know how it works.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

You know if you smear Vaseline on your Bellows during the off season I bet they wouldn't rot and crack as often.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Reese makes actual ball hitch grease, i just picked some up last weekend. As for the bellows idea, ill bet it would work.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

An old mechanic told me that if you're going to be working on a car and you know you are going to get greasy, take some Vaseline and rub it around your cuticles and under your fingernails. That way the grimy black grease from the car washes off a whole lot easier.

angus63

Captain

I like to smear some vaseline on any exposed electrical terminal connections (battery, guages, pumps, lights, etc...). Tend to hold up much longer in a salt water environment.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Got chapped lips from boating and the great out doors?? Find Vaseline on your boat that you missed from wiping it down using vaseline and put it on your lips:) Great for chapped lips too!!:D

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

vaseline is a petroleum product and a solvent to certain plastic/rubber products so be careful about which part you apply it to.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

vaseline is a petroleum product and a solvent to certain plastic/rubber products so be careful about which part you apply it to.

Yup. Vaseline is not a safe rubber lube. Usually a silicone based lube is a safer bet.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yup. Vaseline is not a safe rubber lube. Usually a silicone based lube is a safer bet.
Surprised to hear that !!!! Always thought it was pretty stable stuff. Non toxic, non acidic, non alkalinic etc etc.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

One handy bit of tidbit.....Use Vaseline on tire sidewall when spray painting a rim. Then wipe it off....Nice paint job.

bassman284

Commander

Reese makes actual ball hitch grease, i just picked some up last weekend. As for the bellows idea, ill bet it would work.
I've been using the Reese stuff for several years and it's good stuff. I only apply 2 or 3 times a year. For all the good fun about vaseline and (circular orbs), vaseline won't hold up to that kind of duty. Ball hitch, I mean.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Three bad one out of only 13. That is too many. closed

Status
Not open for further replies.