More speed possible for my wot?

StratMan290FS

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
40
Hey, i have a 1990 stratos 290 fs (20' fish/ski boat) and am running a raker 14.5x20 and my wot trimmed up w/2 ppl and full tanks if right around 5600, with empty tanks and just me its slightly higher 5700 or so, could i go to a 22 or 23 pitch prop and safely run lower rpms such as 52-5300 ok ? <br />or anyone have some other ideas for more speed ? ?
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: More speed possible for my wot?

Whats the engine in question here...I know JohnRude, but what year and size?
 

StratMan290FS

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
40
Re: More speed possible for my wot?

sorry guys, i have a 1990 evinrude xp 175 and with a really light load i can get 50 mph. with me and a couple of friends and full gas i get about 46. Maybe this is all i can do, i know the boat is larger for the motor but still seems kinda slow.
 

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
1,497
Re: More speed possible for my wot?

Originally posted by StratMan290FS:<br /> I know the boat is larger for the motor but still seems kinda slow.
Don't feel too bad, I have a 115 on a 20' CC...talk about the boat being large for the motor. With gas prices nowadays, I'm kinda happy to hang a 4 cylinder on the back. ;) <br />I get about 36ish mph depending on load. But I ain't skiing. :p
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: More speed possible for my wot?

I wouldn't go any more on pitch...you're right at the bottom of where you would want, now.<br />Do we have a jackplate???<br />Stepped transom???
 

StratMan290FS

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
40
Re: More speed possible for my wot?

no unfortunately i do not have a jackplate, i think i have a stepped transom, but i guess i will settle for 50 tops. thanks for all the replies though.
 

walleyehed

Admiral
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
6,767
Re: More speed possible for my wot?

There are a few things we can do to help gain a few...Raising the engine some may help (usually does).
 
Top