More power

Kdad

Cadet
i have a 20' bass tracker with a suzuki dt55 but i have a nice fresh black max 150 setting in garage anyone see where I'm going with this or has anyone else done this surely some body has what will it take to make this happen my first pontoon boat and 10 to 12 mph is not working for me thanks for any info anyone has on this idea

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
max power the boat is rated for is probably 70

something not set up right if you are only getting 10-12 mph. most likely motor is too low and wrong pitch prop

ahicks

Captain
Best case though, with everything working and set correctly, you should be seeing something in the mid teens when lightly loaded....

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
what everyone else is saying.
Should be a sticker next to the captain's chair stating what max size motor can be installed. Yes. you can hang a bigger motor but your overstressing the transom and gambling on upsetting the balance......
My 24', '06 Lowe pontoon achieved around 20 mph with the factory equipped 4 stroke, 60 hp merc. big foot motor. 25" toons, just me on board...
My sticker says max 115 hp......

tedevegas

Recruit
I have a 1980 Harris Flote Bote (20'), that has been restored and now has 25" toons. My 70HP Yamaha F70 4 stroke pushes me comfortably at 12-15mph, and top speed around 21mph.

MRS

Commander
i have a 20' bass tracker with a suzuki dt55 but i have a nice fresh black max 150 setting in garage anyone see where I'm going with this or has anyone else done this surely some body has what will it take to make this happen my first pontoon boat and 10 to 12 mph is not working for me thanks for any info anyone has on this idea
I have a 20 foot sun tracker 2019 max motor was 90hp. that is all they would put on bought it new. Does average max speed 25mph. If running down hill with a tail wind can get 29 mph.